Pentair Master Temp 125 gas valve "sticking"

jorgefb

Dec 14, 2021
cary, nc
I have a Pentair Master Temp 125 gas heater for my spa. It's been working good for a year, but recently it will not fire up.
I hear a "buzz" sound 3 times then the "service heater" light comes on. I followed the troubleshooting guide, which determined the gas valve needs to be replaced.
This is a pain because the valve is $300, plus I'll need a plumber to install it because of all the fixed pipe.
I found that a way to make it temporarily work again:
  1. shut off the gas
  2. take the cap off the solenoid on the valve (after removing the 2 security screws)
  3. manually pull up the valve plunger
  4. reassemble and turn gas on
After that the valve will work for a few more cycles before it gets into the "stuck" state again. I am wondering if this is some sort of gas pressure problem, or something besides the valve.
It's only a year old, so it seems premature for the valve to be worn out.

Any help is appreciated.

Do NOT use the heater the way you have described. Likely, you have never seen the results of "runaway" heater that continues to fire after the water-flow stops, but I have seen it three times and it is not pretty (one burned a garage with over a million dollars of custom and antique cars along with it.). A common thing, many, many years ago, was to "tap" on a gas valve to make it open if it appeared stuck. Every heater school I have attended since 1991 has included, "don't force a stuck valve to open" in the class curriculum. The reason is that they might not close again. Bite the bullet and get a new valve installed for your and your family's safety.

You can try a warranty claim, but, at least here, Pentair is pretty strict about not going beyond the stated warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.