mk.lloyd

May 20, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've had these Pentair Magic Bowls installed for three years now. Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop the paint from peeling? It's not limited to just the water surface area. As you can see it is even peeling off the top area where there is no water. It's worse where there is water contact.

Attachments

• bowl1.jpg
    bowl1.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 27
  • bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 25
  • bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 25
mk,

My guess is that is pretty normal for being outside in the sun... My only suggestion would be to routinely keep it painted.

What did Pentair have to say about it???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I sent information to Pentair to try to get this covered under warranty. They came back with the statement that it's not a warranty issue. The product manager claims it's caused by excessive chlorine (putting a chlorine tab in the bowl) or some other chemical being used on the bowls. I've never cleaned them with any chemicals and I absolutely have never put a chlorine tab in the bowls. That still doesn't explain the peeling area where there is no water. So I'm at a loss.

Take the bowls out of service and let them dry out. Mask off the valve. Use a stiff wire brush to scrub off loose or peeling paint. Vacuum and clean up debris. Find a matching color and texture of Rustoleum paint and repaint the bowl where the old paint peeled.

As @Jimrahbe said, 3 years out in the harsh sun and heat will destroy most things. Here in southern AZ we have a saying that outdoor living products will always last half as long as the manufacturer claims and cost twice as much. Sun, heat, UV, water and chlorine is pretty much a recipe to destroy anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.