Pentair Intelliflo VSF - Bubbles from return jets

Chad1

Aug 26, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Hi Everyone,

I run my pentair intelliflo vsf at 1,200 rpm 24 hours per day. Pump is two months old. Everything was great but started noticing air coming from return jets and also air bubbles in the pump filter. From time to time the pump makes a low squeeling noise, which wasn't there initially. Only thing I have done since day 1 in terms of maintenance was clean cartridge filter and clean out pump filter basket.

I have tightened the connections on the suction side. I have ensured a tight connection at the pump filter.

Filter runs at 3 psi when at 1,200 rpms.

Not sure if any of that is relevant but thought I would give as much information as possible.

Attachments

• 20210826_152032.jpg
    20210826_152032.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210826_152026.jpg
    20210826_152026.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 14
An air bubble forming in the pump basket is normal when running a VS pump at low RPMs. AS long as the air bubble clears when you crank the pump over about 2500 RPMs there is nothing to worry about.

The low squealing noise may be a separate problem. How often does it occur?

Air bubbles get smaller but don't clear at 2500 rpm. I do notice air blowing into the pump basket, almost looks like when you drain the bath tub and the very last water forms a funnel / tornado.

The 'squeeling', whirring noise happens on and off at intervals of a couple minutes.

Would my SWG be a cause of the return jet bubbles popping like champagne? This wouldn't really resolve the bubbles in the pump basket though, would it?

Would my SWG be a cause of the return jet bubbles popping like champagne? This wouldn't really resolve the bubbles in the pump basket though, would it?
A SWCG does send a stream of hydrogen gas out the returns when it is operating. But that is not tied to the issue of air in the pump basket.

Chad,

If they look like champagne bubbles, then that is most likely your SWCG.. Just turn the SWCG off for five minutes and see if the bubbles will go away when the cell is off..

Does you pump run at 1200 RPM all the time or do you have a schedule where it ramps up to other speeds?

Thanks,

Jim R.

As it turns out, the SWG was causing the bubbles in the returns.

Air in pump basket concluded at this point to be a result of running pump at low speeds.

Whirring pump noise unresolved. Will get pool company in to diagnose.

Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.