Pentair Intelliflo VS/227T Trips Breaker

df.pa.2112

Silver Supporter
Nov 2, 2018
Philadelphia, Pa
Hello,

We are in the process of upgrading the equipment pad on our pool. We are going to have a local company come in and move the panel, install and intellicenter, SWCG and heater. When we moved in the pump on the system was a 1.5 HP whisperflo that always sounded like it was at the end of its life. I was able to pickup an older Intelliflo VS 227T from a neighbor that was getting rid of their pool. I ran a quick test on the pump and it started up, pulled water from the suction and seemed to operate just fine and sounded much much better than the old pump.

I had to swap out some of the plumbing and got it installed yesterday. I ran it for an hour or so last night and everything seemed OK. This AM when I went out to restart and get a good look at all of my joints etc the pump will turn on, prime and run just fine in all 4 speed settings but after 30 minutes or so the breaker trips in the panel. There are no errors recorded on the pump when I restart.

Any thoughts on the source. I am going to run out and hook up a clamp ammeter and see what the amp draw is. The breaker it is connected to is an older GFCI type breaker. I am wondering if the breaker is bad or just can't keep up with the newer pump? Thanks for any info.

Dennis

Intelliflo pumps need a specific circuit breaker. Pentair sells their own circuit breakers or a Siemens QF220P should work.

Check your Intelliflo installation manual. You can get one online.

Thanks for the info, In the owners manual I downloaded they didn't mention a specific breaker. There is a siemens 20A dual pole GFCI breaker in there. the label is unreadable and honestly it looks quite old and past its age. I can only read the very bottom of the label.

Its been running for about an hour with no interruptions at this point. The amperage is staying right at 7.8 or 7.9 on both legs. The temperature of the GFCI when measured with a laser thermometer varies quite a bit from a steady 87F right over the terminals to a fluctuating maximum of 110F to 117F over the center, not sure that is high enough to trip the unit?

Since I can't verify that it is the correct breaker and it looks at the end of life anyhow I think I'll just order one and swap it out and see if that resolves it.

From the Intelliflo installation Manual:
Pentair offers 2-Pole 20 Amp GFCI breakers (P/N PA220GF) which offer 6 milliamp personnel protection while meeting 2008 to current NEC Standards for Pool Pumps.

The trip is more likely to be a GFCI issue due to the way that a variable frequency motor uses power.

The Pentair breaker is tested to perform well with the Intelliflo.

Do you have a picture of the pump label from the front of the pump with the barcode?

Ok, it looks like the drive was replaced. The drive was made 8/30/2013.

The pump is probably older. There should be a sticker on the front of the pump strainer housing with the pump P/N (part number) and manufacturing date.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, the pump model number is 011018. Made 11/19/2012.

It looks like the original drive probably failed and was probably replaced under warranty.

Hopefully, the drive and motor are not creating excessive power fluctuations causing the GFCI to trip.

Hopefully, the new gfci will work without tripping.

I haven't dialed in the settings for extended run yet. When I installed the pump I was just trying to circulate as the previous pump had been out almost a full day and I needed to get the chlorine level up. I barely got things up and running and the issues above showed up. I will certainly run lower, I just haven't sorted out the ideal rate. For not I will just run as is a few hours a day in intervals to keep things nice and tidy.

The Siemens breaker came and I have had it in for almost 3 days now. No issues with the breaker tripping this far (fingers crossed). I can run at any speed on the pump and it seems to chug along just fine. Have been running way lower wattage and pool still seems to be behaving. Thanks for all of the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.