Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pool pump “turns on by itself”

SDpoolramona

Nov 13, 2019
San Diego
I just began having an issue with the pump not keeping the schedules that were programed. It would turn on and run the normal day schedule but not shut down. So I manually turned it off. Then if I let it run it’s course eventually it would shut off but then randomly turning on and off throughout the night. It would only run for a minute or so then shut off. So pool tech said probably a bad control panel drive, so we just bought a brand new Pentair to replace it and it is still having the same issues ??‍♀️

mona,

Welcome to TFP... :shark:

We really need more info... What specific model pump? Is the pump controlled by automation or it is a standalone pump? If automation, what model?

Did you buy a whole new IntelliFlo or just a new control head?

Thanks,

Jim R.

mona,

Welcome to TFP... :shark:

We really need more info... What specific model pump? Is the pump controlled by automation or it is a standalone pump? If automation, what model?

Did you buy a whole new IntelliFlo or just a new control head?

Thanks,

Jim R.
It’s a Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable 230 volt 3 hp and so was the last one I just replaced. It’s a stand-alone pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pump has freeze protection, but I don't think that it's cold enough to activate it.

Maybe a power supply problem?

Any chance that the power is going out or fluctuating?

Do you have any type of power company override on big equipment?

The pump has freeze protection, but I don't think that it's cold enough to activate it.

Maybe a power supply problem?

Any chance that the power is going out or fluctuating?

Do you have any type of power company override on big equipment?
Yes, not the freeze sensor being the water temp is 69’ and We haven’t had any power issues.
But this is one thing I’ve been thinking it could be, something with the power/electrical/breaker. I just called for an electrician to come out and go through the electrical parts of this set up. This is so frustrating

Mona,

Since you replaced the entire pump, and it is a standalone pump, about the only thing left is the input power..

I would assume a bad breaker, as actual wire problems are pretty rare..

I assume the pump gets constant 240 volt AC power from the circuit breaker without anything in between.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mona,

Since you replaced the entire pump, and it is a standalone pump, about the only thing left is the input power..

I would assume a bad breaker, as actual wire problems are pretty rare..

I assume the pump gets constant 240 volt AC power from the circuit breaker without anything in between.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim!
Im hoping that it is going to be a power issue and that the electrician can fix it

What type of breaker do you have for the pump, AND, nothing else should be on that breaker except your pool pump.

Next, there are certain type breakers that work best for VSP's w the highest mA rating, and that's .6mA...I would suspect you either have a failing breaker or something else on that breaker, but w the erratic times, I'm suspecting a failing breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.