Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Burn marks

jondoepoolguy

Mar 8, 2021
North Texas
Our pool was running this morning just fine and then I noticed the Spa spillover had stopped. I checked our equipment pad and the pump (Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST) was not functioning. I noticed some burn marks around the keypad assembly (picture attached) and turned off the breaker. There was also a slight smell of electrical burning/fire. Any ideas on what I should troubleshoot/replace? Should I opt for a new pump or would it be worth replacing parts on this one like the drive assembly?

PXL_20230101_151005520.jpg

Here's a look inside the drive assembly... quite a spark

View attachment 467209
Unfortunately, that is what happens when a conductor is not properly tightened to a terminal. It may be salvageable if the terminal is cleaned well and new wire is run. If there is enough "slack" in the burned wire, cut it back to an undamaged area, clean the terminal and give it a try (with the cover on). You may find that the screw has welded to the block and won't turn without further damage.

Looks like I might need a new terminal. Will take the drive assembly off and look under it to see how deep the burns go.
View attachment 467213View attachment 467214View attachment 467214
At the very least, you need a new drive assembly. That damage really isn't repairable. There's no real access beyond what you can see. Seeing the damage below the terminal means the motor or drive itself may have shorted internally and caused that issue as well. Probably not worth the risk in buying parts. You could end up needing both a new drive and motor. The cost for the two is equal to or more than the cost of a new Pentair Intelliflow.

We currently have a broken Intelliflo 2 VST. We have a Pentair EasyTouch panel and would like to keep the automation. We have an attached SPA (spillover) and 3 waterfalls. The pool is ~20,000 gal Saltwater Pool, Materials (Gunite, Tile, Flagstone). Additional equipment: Pentair Intellichlor ic40, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter (cartridge), Pentair Mastertemp 400, Dolphin Nautilus CC Robotic Pool Vacuum.

Any recommendations on what new pump to purchase?

We currently have a broken Intelliflo 2 VST. We have a Pentair EasyTouch panel and would like to keep the automation. We have an attached SPA (spillover) and 3 waterfalls. The pool is ~20,000 gal Saltwater Pool, Materials (Gunite, Tile, Flagstone). Additional equipment: Pentair Intellichlor ic40, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter (cartridge), Pentair Mastertemp 400, Dolphin Nautilus CC Robotic Pool Vacuum.

Any recommendations on what new pump to purchase?
The most logical choice would be another Intelliflo.

But what exactly is "broken" on your pump? What was the install date of that pump?

EDIT* thread was merged so this comment seems out of place.

Last edited:
The most logical choice would be another Intelliflo.

But what exactly is "broken" on your pump? What was the install date of that pump?
Not exactly sure what all it broken but at least the drive assembly is fried from my post earlier today (Burned pump). The motor may be bad as well. The Install date was mid 2016.

It looks like the Intelliflo 2 VST (011055) has been discontinued and the Pentair IntelliFlo VSF (011056) is the recommended replacement per Pentair. Is that what y'all would suggest as well?

Reactions: bradgray

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jon,

One reason I like PolyTec is that when they show they have it "in stock" they actually have it.

It appears they have both the IntelliFlo VSF and the IntelliFlo3 in stock.

Do they have the rock bottom price, not they do not, but I don't buy on price alone.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jondoepoolguy
Not exactly sure what all it broken but at least the drive assembly is fried from my post earlier today (Burned pump). The motor may be bad as well. The Install date was mid 2016.

It looks like the Intelliflo 2 VST (011055) has been discontinued and the Pentair IntelliFlo VSF (011056) is the recommended replacement per Pentair. Is that what y'all would suggest as well?
Yes. Only change is the software. It allows you to choose a flow rate so that as your filter pressure changes etc the rpm increases and maintains flow. Drop-in swap for your system.

Though it should be at least mentioned the Intelliflo3 is out if you want to be cutting-edge. It will eventually replace the 056. Caveat is it's not the same form factor with a streamlined XF wet end so you'd have to replumb. Could be easy or hard depending. But you'd be among the cool kids.

Edit*; Jim's fingers are faster today. :)

That would be so true. :mrgreen:

I'll probably go with the IntelliFlo3 when one of my three IntelliFlo pumps die.**
Haha. I almost did on mine but...

We know they're "better" but it's hard letting go because there's admittedly something so comforting working with the ones that have treated us so well for so many years!

We've only begun to see them in the wild the last few months. We have a builder who has put them in his last 6 pools. They're solid and they're beefy. I miss the screen pretty intensely but that would be less of an issue for a homeowner with one account. Juggling one extra app/profile to control a pump at a client's place is a bit annoying.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.