WaarrEagle

Jun 20, 2022
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently installed a used Pentair IntelliConnect that I got for super cheap. Unfortunately it is the PNRA1 model which has been reported as having issues with certain VSP’s. But I have it working great with my single speed pump and separate cleaner pump. I am now looking to add a SWG and possibly a VSP. My goals with the IntelliConnect:
  • Control Pentair VSP: on, off, see status, set schedules with periods of high vs low flow
  • Control Pentair SWG: set schedule, adjust setpoint in finer increments than the physical keypad, see status
I know the IntelliConnect has limitations but I have no spa, no heater, and no valve actuators. From what I have read, it seems this should work for me. Both the SWG and VSP would connect via RS485, and my cleaner would stay connected to one of the relays. Does anyone see any issues with this plan? Will the IntelliConnect meet my goals? I know the IntelliConnect firmware may be a limitation, but worst case if I have to replace I will still be ahead vs buying a whole new higher end automation system?

You don't schedule the SWG. The SWG will generate whenever the pump is running with sufficient flow to enable the flow switch.

The IntelliConnect does not really know pump status. It just assumes the pump is running if it told it to run.

The IntelliConnect works best with an Intelliflo VS pump.

I believe you are limited to four pump schedules that are set in the Intelliflo pump.

Reactions: WaarrEagle
The problem with the VSP is that it is always "on." I have Intelliconnect for the VSP, Whisperflo for water feature, heater, and controlling the % settings on the IC-40. However the power for the IC40 is connected to a manual timer, along with an ozonator and UV-C appliance (yeah, I bought 'em all.) Without the separate timer, the IC40, ozone, and UV-C would be on any time the pump is "on" and that's the problem. The pump is "on" all the time as far as the Intelliconnect is concerned, in that it has power applied. I've discussed it with the IC40 installer and also with another authorized Pentair repair guy who replaced the IC40 when it failed and then when the power supply failed. The timer was the answer. I just make sure the on times fall within the on/off time I have the pump set for.

Reactions: WaarrEagle
You don't schedule the SWG. The SWG will generate whenever the pump is running with sufficient flow to enable the flow switch.

The IntelliConnect does not really know pump status. It just assumes the pump is running if it told it to run.

The IntelliConnect works best with an Intelliflo VS pump.

I believe you are limited to four pump schedules that are set in the Intelliflo pump.

I don't like for power to be applied to the IC40 when the pump is not running. Yes the flow light is red and I "know" the cell is not on. And yes, the pump actually has 8 programs but only four you can set with the Intelliconnect and Pentair Home app.

I don't like for power to be applied to the IC40 when the pump is not running. Yes the flow light is red and I "know" the cell is not on.

The IntelliConnect will not be telling the cell to generate when it knows the pump is not running.

The IntelliConnect does assume that if the pump is running then the flow is enough to engage the flow switch.

Why don't you like it?

And yes, the pump actually has 8 programs but only four you can set with the Intelliconnect and Pentair Home app.
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. What is the practical impact of this? Are there 8 of 4 usable programs? Can I set 8 on the pump but only control 4 from the app? What does that mean for the other 4?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.