Pentair Intellichlor IC40 Intermittent flow indication

DigitalFoe

Apr 25, 2020
Riverside,CA
Hi all,
So as the title suggests my IC40 intermittently shows no flow when the pump is running. I installed a new flow switch but the problem remained. I have done the following to diagnose the problem:

Checked the power to IC40 from Power Center (red and black wires), reads 28 volts.

When the IC40 does not detect flow and the pump is operating the voltage across the flow switch (red and black wires also) reads 0 - 200mV so the switch is closed and the IC40 should detect flow however it does not. If I turn off the pump the voltage across the flow switch reads about 2.5 volts. I don't know what the correct voltage reading should be though. I still need to check the voltage across the switch after turning off the pump when the IC40 shows good flow to see if I still get 2.5 volts or a higher reading. Does anyone know what the voltage reading should be when there is no flow? Also, has anyone attempted to remove the top (control panel) to gain access to the electronics in the IC40?

Thanks in advance.

DF,

The top of the IC40 is sealed, so good luck getting it off..

It appears to me that your switch is closing.. But, as a test, I would short the red and black wires and ensure the flow light is green. I would run the pump for several hours and see if the flow light ever goes red.. If it does, then the cell has to be bad.. If it never goes bad when the wires are shorted then maybe the new flow switch is bad (Unlikely)..

And... Make sure you never leave the flow switch shorted when the pump is off..

How old is the cell?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to the forum!
Many times no/low flow conditions are related to water chemistry. Algae in the pool water will plug the filter and reduce the flow.
Have you cleaned your filter lately? What does the flow feel like out of the returns?
The IC40 is a sealed system and there are no user servicable items, excluding the flow switch.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the prompt response.

It appears my IC40 has an internal connection issue. Just went to take a look and it had a green flow indicator, went to slide the top cover to increase the chlorine output and immediately got a red light. I shorted the red and black wires and it still showed no flow. A couple days ago it showed flow. I tapped it and immediately got the red light so something must be intermittent internally.

Time for a new one, and these things are pricey.

Thanks

Hi all,
So as the title suggests my IC40 intermittently shows no flow when the pump is running. I installed a new flow switch but the problem remained. I have done the following to diagnose the problem:

Checked the power to IC40 from Power Center (red and black wires), reads 28 volts.

When the IC40 does not detect flow and the pump is operating the voltage across the flow switch (red and black wires also) reads 0 - 200mV so the switch is closed and the IC40 should detect flow however it does not. If I turn off the pump the voltage across the flow switch reads about 2.5 volts. I don't know what the correct voltage reading should be though. I still need to check the voltage across the switch after turning off the pump when the IC40 shows good flow to see if I still get 2.5 volts or a higher reading. Does anyone know what the voltage reading should be when there is no flow? Also, has anyone attempted to remove the top (control panel) to gain access to the electronics in the IC40?

Thanks in advance.
Mine is doing pretty much the same thing. The service company said the cell is bad. They replaced the flow switch and it dodn't help.
I guess I'll bite the bullet and throw done $500+ on a new cell. Not happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.