Pentair Intellichlor IC40 Flashing Salt Lights and Red Flow Light

BillTFP

May 4, 2019
Austin, Texas
My IC40 SWG recently stopped producing chlorine. Even though the salt is within the proper range (~3200) and the flow is sufficient, the low/high salt lights are flashing, and the flow light is red. Every once in a while, without my changing anything, the lights all turn green and the unit starts making chlorine as it's supposed to. But then it goes back to the state I initially described.

My local pool shop thinks I need to replace the flow switch. I'd rather not incur that expense unless I'm sure that's the problem.

I'd welcome any wisdom you may have.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have a salinity test from a K1766 kit? Never rely on a SWCG readout.

It does sound like a flow switch ----- Look on Amazon. Pentair OEM are about $100. Off brand are about $60.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I have the same issue. Issue started after water temp rose above 80 degrees for the first time this year. Only change this year is that I had my cell cleaned for the first time. (Seasonal pool used for 3-seasons). I called Pentair and they are sending me a new Flow switch under warranty.

Bill,

If you have a good flow of water coming back to your pool, then your flow switch is bad.. If the flow switch is bad, the cell will never do the salt tests so you can ignore them for now..

A flow switch costs about $100 bucks and is an easy DIY repair..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: djc1603
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.