Pentair IntelliCenter Review and Information

IntelliCenter Web-Client Work-Around or IntelliCenter Android app on a PC?

Background
: As most IntelliCenter users are aware, if an IntelliCenter user loses internet connectivity or, the Pentair servers go down for any reason, than the use of the IntelliCenter web client, to connect to the control panel is about as useful as a - paper weight made out of a couple of bird feathers.

Now I know that someone might say “Hey, well in that case, why not just use either the iOS or the Android mobile app?. The IntelliCenter user can connect locally to the control panel using their mobile device” Check and Correct. BUT, what if a user does not have one of the mobile apps? Believe it or not, there are some folks who do not use a smart phone. I will concede that there are not many these days, but there are some.

But there is another bigger reason that I am writing this. As many members have noted here in this thread and a few other related threads as well, the IntelliCenter web-client has taken a bit of a “nose-dive” recently, especially when it comes to functions not working as their supposed to. More information with reference to the problems with the IntelliCenter Web Client can be found in the following thread:
Work Around: Since the mobile apps seem to work better than the web-client, I got to thinking – "Wait a minute, why not just try to get one of the mobile apps downloaded on to Mr. PC and use the mobile app on the PC". Should work right? :unsure:

So I started to explore this possibility. And it can be done but here are two caveats that I found.

1. The iOS app. In 2017, Apple began to disallow the downloading of the iOS and associated apps on to a Windows PC or a MAC for that matter. There is at least one emulator that may allow for it but I did not choose that route, so I did not proceed any further along these lines. Besides, I wanted a good reason to check out the Android app.​
2. What I am going to suggest may also not work on a MAC, unless one were to download a virtualization program that runs windows 10 on top of the macOS in order to get the whole thing to work. Yikes, “talk about going around the block to get next door” but there are way too many “super-IT” members here who I’m am sure can make it work on a MAC, so I’ll just leave that to them.​
So if anyone wants to try to run the IntelliCenter Android app on their PC, here is one method that I found that worked very well for me.​

The end results will be the following:​

1. You can still use your PC to login to your control panel “locally”, if your internet drops off line or the Pentair servers’ crash, for any reason.​
2. If you want to use the Android app instead of that “buggy” web-client on your PC to login to your control panel. There are at least two features on the app that are not offered on the web client, to include a SUNSET and a SUNRISE button in the Schedules page. There may be more as I did not take the time to explore everything.​

Steps to follow to download the IntelliCenter Android app on a PC:

1. Download the BlueStacks PC Android App Player
and then follow the prompts from there (you will eventually need to either login with a google account or create one).

2. Once BlueStacks is downloaded and configured (it’s fairly simple), search for “IntelliCenter” (in the search bar under “Discover apps” in the upper-right corner).

3. Once it restarts, then the IntelliCenter Android app will reside in the Installed apps area of the BlueStacks players.

2020-02-22_13-53-23.jpg

4. Double-Click the IntelliCenter app and click the green connect button.
2020-02-22_13-54-43.jpg

If you wa2020-02-22_13-55-15.jpgnt to connect “local” (especially useful when the internet/Pentair servers are down), then click Connect to Local IP . You will then need to enter your IntelliCenter’s IP address, (i.e. 192.168.1.30).

You only need to enter the IP address of the IntelliCenter control panel the first time that you choose to connect locally. After that, the field will auto-populate. Click OK.

Notes and comments:

That’s it. You are now using the IntelliCenter Android app on your PC. The window can be sized to suit your preferences.

This is the first 2020-02-22_14-07-50.jpgtime for me using the IntelliCenter Android app. I must admit that it does have a slightly different look and feel. Especially from a strictly iOS user perspective.

I’ve test driven the app on my PC a fair amount and I can’t find any issues.

To go back to a previous screen, click the arrow in the lower RH corner (as illustrated).

2020-02-22_14-09-06.jpg

The main menu drop-down is located in the upper RH corner to the right of the notification bell icon (as illustrated).

Here is a screen-print of the Schedules configuration page (creating, deleting and editing of schedules).

2020-02-22_15-30-42.jpg

One thing that I found here which was pretty cool, was the way a user sets the “time”.
2020-02-22_14-14-48.jpg

I’m sure the Intellicenter Android app users are familiar with this feature but this is way different than the iOS mobile app. The user just right-clicks and drags the hour hand on the blue circle and spins it around to the applicable time and then releases the right mouse button. It then goes to minutes and the user does the same thing and then selects AM or PM and you’re good. Kind of “catchy.”

NOTE: See, rain does have many purposes. One, is that it makes me stay inside and do crazy stuff like this. I may add more to this post, if I discover anything else worth reporting on with regards to my new “Desktop PC IntelliCenter Android app".

r.

BTW, this procedure can be done for the ScreenLogic Android app as well, but for the life of me, I can’t think of any good reason that our ScreenLogic brothers and sisters would have 2020-02-22_13-49-22.jpgany need for it, as their “app” already resides on their PC's (A big advantage of ScreenLogic over the IntelliCenter Web-Client in my opinion.)

Maybe if they just really liked the look of the Android app over the look of the app that resides on their PC. But not really worth it I wouldn't think.

Last edited:
Nice potential work-around Ron. I'm out of town right now but am happy to try it when I get home tomorrow night. I will say that my android app has the same issues as the win 10 desktop when running on local connection at my house.

Chris

Reactions: MyAZPool
I see that my Intellicenter has still not updated to 1.040. I am going to my beach house this weekend so can manually update. Two questions:
1. When doing a manual update, does one need to update every panel individually or only the main panel?
2. Is there a setting one should set to make sure OTA updates happen?

I see that my Intellicenter has still not updated to 1.040. I am going to my beach house this weekend so can manually update. Two questions:
1. When doing a manual update, does one need to update every panel individually or only the main panel?
2. Is there a setting one should set to make sure OTA updates happen?
@SA Pentair User ,
Pentair "staggers" the update pushes, so it might take some time.

1. So go to your panel and navigate to: SETTINGS > ADVANCED SYSTEM CONFIGURATION > SYSTEM > SYSTEM INFORMATION. Check for version 1.040. You can also check your firmware version by opening the web client and navigating to SETTINGS > ABOUT. The pop-up window will indicate your current firmware version (THW Version: IC: ________).

2. If you are not running version 1.040, then at the panel, you can navigate to SETTINGS > ADVANCED SYSTEM CONFIGURATION > SYSTEM > FIRMWARE UPDATE > CHECK FOR UPDATE. If it still indicates that you are running the most current firmware, then,

3. You can download the latest firmware update at the following web portal:

To install: Transfer the file to a USB memory stick or thumb drive. Go to your panel and insert the drive in the USB port. A USB icon should appear on the top row indicating that your memory stick was recognized by the system.

Next navigate to Settings > Advanced System Configuration > System > Firmware Update. Then choose Update from USB and select the update file you copied on the memory stick. The system will prompt you to remove the memory stick once the process is done.

Once downloaded, copy to a USB thumb drive, take the drive to your panel and then follow the "Update from USB" instructions as outlined on pp 88, of the:

Let me know if you need any additional help.
r.

Last edited:
Is anyone having issues upgrading? When I try from my IntelliCenter panel, it says that it's checking for updates..and it will stay on that screen for days...until I reset the panel. I've downloaded the 1.040 from the website and placed the file into the root (main) directory of the USB thumb drive. When I insert the drive into the panel, the panel says that no usb is inserted. I can see that the electronics in the panel recognize the drive, as the little red light illuminates on the drive, when inserted, so I know I've got it connected. I've attempted to reformat the thumb drive several times, thinking that might be the issue...I think in NTFS or XFAT (back and forth several times), and of course I tried it right out of the box...hhhmmmm..

Is anyone having issues upgrading? When I try from my IntelliCenter panel, it says that it's checking for updates..and it will stay on that screen for days...until I reset the panel. I've downloaded the 1.040 from the website and placed the file into the root (main) directory of the USB thumb drive. When I insert the drive into the panel, the panel says that no usb is inserted. I can see that the electronics in the panel recognize the drive, as the little red light illuminates on the drive, when inserted, so I know I've got it connected. I've attempted to reformat the thumb drive several times, thinking that might be the issue...I think in NTFS or XFAT (back and forth several times), and of course I tried it right out of the box...hhhmmmm..
Chris,
This is the first that I have heard of this issue. :scratch:

You already did what I was going to suggest (reformat drive - NTFS). Either the downloaded file is corrupt for some reason I would suspect, or you have an issue with the motherboard possibly.
My suggestion would be to call Pentair Tech Support in the morning.

Let them walk you through any troubleshooting steps and they can also remote into your system (with your permission) and they will try to replicate. At some point they may pass you on to one of the level 2 techs who, all 3 that I have worked with, are very helpful and knowledgeable.

At some point if their efforts are fruitless, I would suspect that you will be either receiving a new board or a warranty tech will probably come out and replace it.

Take it one step at a time and give them a call tomorrow.
  • Technical Support
Toll Free (800) 831-7133, * Press 1-1-1-1-1-3 for IntelliCenter

Sanford, North Carolina (8 AM to 8 PM ET)
Phone: (919) 566-8000
Fax: (919) 566-8920

Moorpark, California (5 AM to 5 PM PT)
Phone: (805) 553-5000
Fax: (805) 553-5515

Last edited:
I'm all upgraded to 1.040 now. It appears that the IntelliCenter only likes FAT32 file system, and I think my Windows10 system only gave me the option to format as NTFS, or exFAT...and I didn't see an option to format as FAT32...I had a box full of thumb drives, and found one that was still FAT32...so...my bad I guess...thanks for your help.

I'm all upgraded to 1.040 now. It appears that the IntelliCenter only likes FAT32 file system, and I think my Windows10 system only gave me the option to format as NTFS, or exFAT...and I didn't see an option to format as FAT32...I had a box full of thumb drives, and found one that was still FAT32...so...my bad I guess...thanks for your help.
Chris,
Ah, okay. Good information to keep in our back pocket for the future. Thanks for the feedback! :thumleft:
r.

@VirtualChris

BTW, I noticed you are using an IntelliChem. You might want to still give tech support a call and advise them that you would like to receive BETA version 1.042. There are some IntelliChem fixes on that BETA that I'm not sure are applicable to your particular build (they may just be applicable if using a second control panel such as an indoor or wireless control panel). Tech Support may give you a one-time access to a portal in order to download or they may choose to email it to you. Either way, it may help you out.

In fact, below are the fixes on this latest BETA which may be advantageous to many IntelliCenter users if they are experiencing any of the issues addressed in this latest BETA.

Version 1.042
  • Do not turn on 2SPD Relay During Freeze Protect.
  • Sync Log Enable/Disable across all panel.
  • Support: Remove Email Address and change web site URL.
  • Wrong Error message upon Web Login Failure.
  • Web Email Validation fix.
  • SPACMD Heater Set Temperature override disallows manual heat setpoint changes.
  • OTA: Remaining subpanels are rebooting several times when OCP stuck on subpanel due to timeout.
  • Save circuit Configuration (On/Off/Ignore) only when Return button hit.
  • Circuits may Randomly Turn On after being Toggled On and then Off.
  • Heater Creation fails intermittently following delete operation.
  • Heat Source and Set Point Changes Not Displayed Correctly on other Panels.
  • On/Off/Ignore Circuit Group Configuration edit control.
  • 485Process: Support for Log Start/Stop Synching
  • 485Process: Suppport for OTA: Remaining subpanels are rebooting.
  • 485uic: Install Posix Handler earlier to prevent 485 crash on startup.
  • 485uic: Support for Log Start/Stop Synching
  • Wizard: Fix scrolling issue on scheduled, chemistry, Aux Circuits, Heaters and Pumps.
  • Wizard: Current pump address not saved.
  • Wizard: Creating hyprid after gas and ultratemp causes heater list corruption.
  • Fixed Light Group Window crashes upon selecting group edit button.
  • Fixed IntelliChem ORP/pH Set Point Adjust buttons on other panels.
  • Fixed IntelliChem Tank Level Adjust buttons on other panels.
  • Custom pool/spa body names do not appear on home screen.
  • Added button to clear out saved config files on local file system.
  • Last Pool Temp should not include custom body name.
  • Pool/Spa window formatting issue with long body name.
  • Schedule screen scrolling issue fixed.
  • Latitude/Longitude changes
  • Schedule list on subpanels do not update when changes made on another panel
  • On/Off/Ignore Feature created.
  • Updated Group Circuit Configuration window.
  • Changes Shared Memory configuration for MAPSET_group_circuits.
  • Pool cover settings window issue with long body names.
  • Zip code and Latitude/Longitude and default values fixed from earlier change.
  • Change for multiple XCP panels for icweb and WebApp.
  • Fixed Overlay Text Blinking Issue due to earlier development.
  • Clear user password after successful entry.
  • Subpanels did not display timeout Mode (Service Mode).
  • XCP firmware update failure timeout and error message added.
  • Add logs to track Circuit, Schedule and Relay Status.
  • Added Log function start/stop interface.
  • 485/485uic: Support for Multiple Expansion Panels in OTA.
  • Icweb: Support for On/Off/Ignore feature.
  • Icweb: Provide interface for Start/Stop Logging in IC and 485.
  • Wizard: Fixed Duplicate Pump Names upon Creation issue.
  • Wizard: Fixed Unable to set a schedule to run at midnight.
  • Wizard: Heater Creation Rules Do Not Follow ic.
  • Wizard: Time Zone Translation constant fixed from earlier.
  • Wizard: Restore Current Groups Configuration (from IC) when the wizared is saved. Needed to support On/Off/Ignore feature in ic.
  • Wizard: Fixed heater creation can press next without selecting heater type.
  • Wizard: Fixed pump naming not consistent with multiple pumps of same type.
  • Wizard: Support Circuit Groups implemented.
  • Wizard: Support Groups in Schedule Circuit Selection.
r.

Last edited:
It appears that Pentair has updated the iOS app. They fixed most of the issues. The only thing I see, from a quick walk through it, is that the check boxes and radio buttons are invisible, unless selected. So if you are trying to create a schedule or add a circuit or what have you, you have to know which side of the text to touch to toggle the radio button/check box. There may be some other issues that I have not yet stumbled upon but that is my initial findings.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@SA Pentair User ,
Pentair "staggers" the update pushes, so it might take some time.

1. So go to your panel and navigate to: SETTINGS > ADVANCED SYSTEM CONFIGURATION > SYSTEM > SYSTEM INFORMATION. Check for version 1.040. You can also check your firmware version by opening the web client and navigating to SETTINGS > ABOUT. The pop-up window will indicate your current firmware version (THW Version: IC: ________).

2. If you are not running version 1.040, then at the panel, you can navigate to SETTINGS > ADVANCED SYSTEM CONFIGURATION > SYSTEM > FIRMWARE UPDATE > CHECK FOR UPDATE. If it still indicates that you are running the most current firmware, then,

3. You can download the latest firmware update at the following web portal:
https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/extranet/product-related/software/Update_06242019_v1.040.pfw
To install: Transfer the file to a USB memory stick or thumb drive. Go to your panel and insert the drive in the USB port. A USB icon should appear on the top row indicating that your memory stick was recognized by the system.

Next navigate to Settings > Advanced System Configuration > System > Firmware Update. Then choose Update from USB and select the update file you copied on the memory stick. The system will prompt you to remove the memory stick once the process is done.

Once downloaded, copy to a USB thumb drive, take the drive to your panel and then follow the "Update from USB" instructions as outlined on pp 88, of the:
https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...t/intellicenter/IntelliCenter_Users_Guide.pdf
Let me know if you need any additional help.
r.
Thanks! This got me up and running on 1.040...

However, I now find that I cannot change and save a schedule on any of my iOS devices or over the web. Quite frustrating. Hopefully something will be updated soon.

@Turbo1Ton
Jeff,
Yes, agreed. Thanks for the heads up! Looks as though they have released iOS Version: 1.9.128 (up from 1.8.122) , and appears as though they may have finally fixed that crazy issue that you found, that would not allow the user to see certain screens when in dark or night mode.

I was on the phone and email with Pentair several times this past week. I know that there was a lot of back and forth between Tech Support and the software engineers regarding not only the unreadable dark screen issue. But also the issue that you just referenced regarding not really being able to read the Sunset and Sunrise wording on those buttons in the schedule creation and edit screens, as well as several other issues.

In addition, I attempted to elevate several issues about the web client as well this past week. Hopefully we may see some movement on those fronts very soon as well. I have answered several questions that the software engineers had and yesterday, I gave them access to remote in to my panel for testing purposes.

FYI, here is an excerpt of the email that I gladly provided Tech Support on Wednesday so that hopefully these issues would get some higher visibility in the Friday IntelliCenter working group meeting (which software engineering attends remotely as well). I'm hoping the "squeaky wheel" gets some grease here.

________
Here are some of the issues that we talked about. I listed them in my perceived importance.
1. Web Client - Schedules not expanding for editing: This one, you and ______ already know about. Just wanted to place it on the list. If you need any more info regarding this issue, Please do not hesitate to contact me and I can provide you with any further information, screen shots etc. This issue happened right after the latest web client update was released (1.044 b1 January 30, 2020).
2. Web Client Schedule names revert to SPECIALCIRC 1, 2, 3 ETC.: Like I explained, I have tried everything to see if I could troubleshoot and isolate what might be causing the problem here but I was unable to do so. Here are the specifics. This occurs when a user creates a CIRCUIT GROUP and then creates a new schedule. No problem creating the new group. Then the user navigates to the SCHEDULES page, ADD PROGRAM , and then uses the pulldown to select that new CIRCUIT GROUP. Then the user configures days and times and then clicks SAVE. Once the new schedule is saved, the Circuit name renames to SPECIALCIRC1, 2, 3. ETC. (SEE ATTACHMENTS 1 and 2.)
I even tried do the exact same thing at the panel and everything works fine. The schedule name is the name of the circuit selected from the pulldown. But once I come back in and open the web client and navigate to the SCHEDULES page, it has renamed. The name remains correct on the panel but not on the Web Client.
3. Web Client The SUNSET, SUNRISE and associated offset option buttons are missing on the SCHEDULES page. They are there on the Android app. And just kind of on the iOS app (although not spelled out or indicated very well).
4. Web Client, iOS and Android AppsThe Pentair lighting HOLD/RECALL feature is missing on the web client, iOS and Android Apps.
5. iOS AppCannot see some pages in the iOS app at night. If the user selects Automatic in Settings > Display & Brightness, then when you select the 3-line pulldown (upper RH corner), the user cannot see the next page because it’s way too dark. It shows up a little better in the attachment but not on the users actual phone. This only started to occur after the last iOS update (1.8.122). BTW, when you click about in night mode now, none of the About info is visible. No problem when the user is in day mode. The whole app is very dark but other apps on the phone do not seem to have that problem. (SEE ATTACHMENTS 3 and 4 )

I was told that the software engineers are working on several improvements to the system (and, yes to include the IntelliValve issue), so hopefully we will be seeing some new things coming down the pike in the not so distant future.

All I got for now.
Thanks again for the update.
r.

Last edited:
Not really an issue, but the colors on the iOS app changed slightly with the update and not in a good way. There are different shades of blue, including a purpleish blue up next to the normal pentair blue, and some random light green thrown in some places. Looks like a colorblind developer was in change of that, or maybe they were trying out some Easter themed design. ?‍♂️

@SA Pentair User
Thanks! This got me up and running on 1.040...

However, I now find that I cannot change and save a schedule on any of my iOS devices or over the web. Quite frustrating. Hopefully something will be updated soon.
Hmmmm. Not exactly seeing that on my end. :scratch:
I'll play around and see if I can replicate.
r.

Last edited:
@SA Pentair User

Hmmmm. Not exactly seeing that on my end. :scratch:
I'll play around and see if I can replicate.
r.
@SA Pentair User
In the iOS app - I am now also NOT able to edit an existing schedule. :rolleyes: I am however, able to create (add) a new schedule, just not edit an existing one (so at least you can do that and then delete the existing one that you were trying to edit (yea, I know). I did not have this problem a few days ago, prior to this latest iOS update. Typical. Fix one thing, break something else.

In the web client, I am NOT able to edit an existing schedule mainly because of the ongoing issue regarding the inability to expand the schedule in order to edit.

In the desktop version of the Android app, I AM able to edit and save an existing schedule.

I wonder if anyone else besides us is experiencing the same with regards to the iOS app?
Either way, I guess I'll let TS know on Monday about this new problem. Sheesh...
r,

Last edited:
@SA Pentair User
In the iOS app - I am now also NOT able to edit an existing schedule. :rolleyes: I am however, able to create (add) a new schedule, just not edit an existing one (so at least you can do that and then delete the existing one that you were trying to edit (yea, I know). I did not have this problem a few days ago, prior to this latest iOS update. Typical. Fix one thing, break something else.

In the web client, I am NOT able to edit an existing schedule mainly because of the ongoing issue regarding the inability to expand the schedule in order to edit.

In the desktop version of the Android app, I AM able to edit and save an existing schedule.

I wonder if anyone else besides us is experiencing the same with regards to the iOS app?
Either way, I guess I'll let TS know on Monday about this new problem. Sheesh...
r,
Thanks! I am just glad it is not just me.

Also glad there Is a work around... delete and add... or should I say (for safety) add and then delete!

It appears that Pentair has updated the iOS app. They fixed most of the issues. The only thing I see, from a quick walk through it, is that the check boxes and radio buttons are invisible, unless selected. So if you are trying to create a schedule or add a circuit or what have you, you have to know which side of the text to touch to toggle the radio button/check box. There may be some other issues that I have not yet stumbled upon but that is my initial findings.

--Jeff
Great to hear, maybe now they'll fix the Win 10 portal.

Chris

I think 5 feet is in Canada, and in the US I believe it's 10 feet (any metal within this distance). Anyways, this equipotential bonding for pool perimeters and parts should be connected to any/all metal around the pool. So, if you have a metal handrail, light niches, pool pumps, pool heater, inline sacrificial anode, tiki torches, etc...all should be connected together on that loop. Here is an example article for more information: Taking the Mystery Out of Equipotential Bonding Requirements for Swimming Pools - IAEI Magazine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.