Pentair IntelliCenter Pool Control Dashboard Instructional Guide

@MyAZPool any chance I could convince you to snap some photos when you’re done tinkering?

I can get whatever I need to run outside, it’s simple at this stage. I might just put a nema box outside the IC load center and keep all the extra automation goodies there. Fortunately, I won’t need any wifi extenders or adapters as I get full wifi speeds from my router in my shed, which is the furthest point of our yard where the pool is going.
@Candurin
Yes. I'm trying to keep a photo journal going. I'm also attempting to keep the bare minimum necessary automation operational (IntelliCenter, njspC-dP, 3 IntelliValves, IC-60, ipH) all at the same time, performing this upgrade. It's a challenge. :p
Here is what I mean LOL....
ED158CDE-288E-480C-ACE1-C730A1A9C649_1_105_c.jpeg 13E70164-9034-467B-994A-82EAA756B2E6_1_105_c.jpeg

@jerryt so, the screen logic controller (522620) basically provides a wireless serial connection? If that works with the newer intellicenter, it would certainly simplify things. Not that my cable runs would be difficult.

Got poolController and dashPanel working on Windows 10, 24/7 computer with the ch340 serial adapter running on com port 10.
Had to edit config.json line 4 to; "rs485Port": "com10",

Then I was able to replace the CH340 with a "Serial IP Bridge".

OK, I was able to take this device;
Cerrxian RS485.JPG
set it as a server at the EasyTouch motherboard, (connect yellow and green wires, PS, and Ethernet cable).
RS485 to RJ45.JPG
then download USR-VCOM_V3.7.2.525_Setup and set it to a virtual com port on the Win10 computer
USR-VCOM.JPG
Set poolController config.json to "com11"

Done working "serial IP bridge".

Last edited:
Reactions: arielpool
@ Candurin

Yes, Pentair 522620 screenlogic wireless kit does work as a wireless bridge between the OCP and a Raspberry PI with a CH340 adapter as tested by me today.

Transmitter and receivers are almost line of sight, takes a long time to sync up solid...

Thanks @jerryt. At this point, I just ran the shielded cat5 from office to our garage in anticipation of feeding it to the intellicenter. I’m taking a page from @MyAZPool ’s book. I’m running 2 cat5e and 2 cat6a cables. This way the pool is more future proof than I am.

Recommend a git pull for nodejs-poolController-dashPanel if you want to use the dashPanel on a small mobile device such as an iPhone etc.. Responding Cascading Style Sheets for these devices have been added so the pages are no longer cut off.
Looks really great now..
Features, Lights, Pool/Spa Control, Chemistry, Pumps and Schedules are all on one scroll down page. Very nice!!
Also, if you have not updated the nodejs-poolController in the last couple of months, recommend a git pull in that directory as well as there have been some improvements there as well.
r.

Reactions: cmc0619
Got the Pi assembled, OS installed, I incorporated a momentary LED power button and VPN working perfectly. I’ll be running the serial/cat5 cable on Friday when electrician is here installing the intellicenter.

Going to set up the Githubs soon, but, no rush as our pool install doesn’t begin until Thursday.

Question, @MyAZPool , if I put a surge protector on the entire load center/sub panel does that protect the low voltage side as well? Does that mean I wouldn’t need to use individual Cat5 cable surge protectors?

Got the Pi assembled, OS installed, I incorporated a momentary LED power button and VPN working perfectly. I’ll be running the serial/cat5 cable on Friday when electrician is here installing the intellicenter.

Going to set up the Githubs soon, but, no rush as our pool install doesn’t begin until Thursday.

Question, @MyAZPool , if I put a surge protector on the entire load center/sub panel does that protect the low voltage side as well? Does that mean I wouldn’t need to use individual Cat5 cable surge protectors?
You'll still need the CAT5 surge protectors as well.
r.

Awesome detailed write-up!! Question... Have you ever tried to use the protocol adapter that comes with the Pentair ScreenLogic2 software interface? It converts the RS485 signal to a hardwired network connection. I've not been able to get it to work but have been trying. I have the IP address and it uses port 80 but it keeps dropping my connection. I don't know if there's some kind of login/verification/handshake that must happen to validate the client connection.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe a Screenlogic Wireless kit P/N 522620 should work fine to bridge the RS485 wires wirelessly to a remote location running poolController. I will test this option soon...

Also in theory a RS485 to IP adapter, USR-TCP232-304 at $25.00 may also work. I have asked Tagyoureit, for config.json setting for the USR-TCP232-304

Have you been able to try the Screenlogic protocol converter? I've been trying but can't get it to work. It keeps dropping my connection.

Awesome detailed write-up!! Question... Have you ever tried to use the protocol adapter that comes with the Pentair ScreenLogic2 software interface? It converts the RS485 signal to a hardwired network connection. I've not been able to get it to work but have been trying. I have the IP address and it uses port 80 but it keeps dropping my connection. I don't know if there's some kind of login/verification/handshake that must happen to validate the client connection.
Thanks!
phxChris
Thanks..
I went the wired route so unfortunately can't help you with that
But here's the good news. I think @jerryt had success there. He should be along soon to fill in the details for you.
Thanks again...
r..

The "CERRXIAN RS485 to Ethernet RJ45 TCP/IP Serial Device Server" comes with instructions on how to use as an RS485 ethernet bridge, but I have not tested that configuration...

I tested the pentair 522620 wireless adapter, worked fine (See post #64),
and
also a RS485 to IP adapter as the transmitter and VCOM ip to serial software on a windows computer. Worked. (See post #63)

Last edited:
Reactions: cmc0619
Anyone else running njspC-dashPanel, decided to upload their own backgrounds?
I really do like the Vanishing Edge, that comes bundled with the software,
2020-11-15_19-31-15.jpg

But I now must admit that I'm growing accustomed to my own custom background at this point...
2020-11-15_19-33-35.jpg

Anyone else want to share their custom backgrounds?
r.

@MyAZPool any chance I could convince you to snap some photos when you’re done tinkering?
@Candurin
I didn't forget ;) . Here ya go...

Take care...
r.

Last edited:
Hello folks. I'm wanting to try the poolcontroller.js route as well, as that gives me an integration with my homeseer automation system. Right now I have a single Cat6 that runs from an ethernet switch and hub setup in the garage, maybe 50 ft or so, to a Screenlogic ethernet controller.

I was thinking about putting a Unifi POE switch at at pool controller panel, and putting the Raspberry Pi there, but thought it would be easier to run the RS485 from the Pentair hardware over that Cat6 line to the garage, and put both the screenlogic adapter and the RPi with it's own RS485 interface there where it's indoors and easy to take care of.

What do people think of that idea? Is 50ft too long a run?

Thx
Mike

Hello folks. I'm wanting to try the poolcontroller.js route as well, as that gives me an integration with my homeseer automation system. Right now I have a single Cat6 that runs from an ethernet switch and hub setup in the garage, maybe 50 ft or so, to a Screenlogic ethernet controller.

I was thinking about putting a Unifi POE switch at at pool controller panel, and putting the Raspberry Pi there, but thought it would be easier to run the RS485 from the Pentair hardware over that Cat6 line to the garage, and put both the screenlogic adapter and the RPi with it's own RS485 interface there where it's indoors and easy to take care of.

What do people think of that idea? Is 50ft too long a run?

Thx
Mike
Mike,
Welcome...
Per ANSI/TIA/EIA 568 standards, maximum length for CAT6 is 90 meters (approx 300 feet). That is for intranet use.
If I read your explanation correctly, you will use that CAT6 to connect your router to a switch at the equipment pad. The RasPi and the SL adapter (internet connection) will connect to your LAN through the switch.
Then you will use two different cables to connect the RasPi (and the SL adapter) to the RS-485 bus of your OCP. Is this correct?

p.s. When you have a moment, please complete your "signature". That way when others here are providing information/advice, they can see what equipment you are running. It helps. I bring this up because you mentioned ScreenLogic and so I can only assume that you have a Pentair EasyTouch or IntelliTouch automation system. Right?

Thanks...
r..

Mike,
Welcome...
Per ANSI/TIA/EIA 568 standards, maximum length for CAT6 is 90 meters (approx 300 feet). That is for intranet use.
If I read your explanation correctly, you will use that CAT6 to connect your router to a switch at the equipment pad. The RasPi and the SL adapter (internet connection) will connect to your LAN through the switch.
Then you will use two different cables to connect the RasPi (and the SL adapter) to the RS-485 bus of your OCP. Is this correct?

p.s. When you have a moment, please complete your "signature". That way when others here are providing information/advice, they can see what equipment you are running. It helps. I bring this up because you mentioned ScreenLogic and so I can only assume that you have a Pentair EasyTouch or IntelliTouch automation system. Right?

Thanks...
r..

Hi! Thanks again, and yes, I will go update my sig with my setup. I do have an Intellitouch i9+3 control system. It's next to the pool equipment on a pad near the poolhouse. There is a single Cat6 that goes from there to a Unifi POE switch in the garage. The SL controller right now sits inside the intellitouch panel.

What I was thinking was remoting the SL controller to the garage by extending the RS485 bus from the intellitouch i9 controller over that single Cat6, and then putting the SL controller and Raspberry pi and RS485 interface all at the garage, about 50 ft away. This avoids me putting the RPi outside near the pool equipment, though I could probably manage that with a suitable case. I don't think there is a lot of extra room inside the panel for a switch and the Pi, but I might be able to finesse that and still keep it out of the high voltage area.

What do you think?

Hi! Thanks again, and yes, I will go update my sig with my setup. I do have an Intellitouch i9+3 control system. It's next to the pool equipment on a pad near the poolhouse. There is a single Cat6 that goes from there to a Unifi POE switch in the garage. The SL controller right now sits inside the intellitouch panel.

What I was thinking was remoting the SL controller to the garage by extending the RS485 bus from the intellitouch i9 controller over that single Cat6, and then putting the SL controller and Raspberry pi and RS485 interface all at the garage, about 50 ft away. This avoids me putting the RPi outside near the pool equipment, though I could probably manage that with a suitable case. I don't think there is a lot of extra room inside the panel for a switch and the Pi, but I might be able to finesse that and still keep it out of the high voltage area.

What do you think?
Mike,
Ah okay, you want to use the CAT6 for RS-485 connectivity for both the SL protocol adapter AND Raspberry Pi with the RS-485 bus of your IntelliTouch OCP. If I got that right, then yea, no problem.

1. You got 8 conductors in that CAT6 (although you should only need four of them). Four for the red/black/green/yellow conductors for the SL protocol adapter and then those same green/yellow conductors for connection to a serial to USB adapter similar to those mentioned at the beginning of this thread. This is for the RasPi.

2. Accepted RS-485 transmission distances are typically around 1,000 meters for lower data rates such as the RS-485 signals found with the Pentair Automation Systems.

For example, I am using a CAT5E cable for transmission of two different RS-485 signals from my pool equipment pad to two different Raspberry Pi 4B computers. The total distance there is approximately 75' and I have had zero issues so you should be good in that respect.

Hope this answers your question.
Take care...
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support