Pentair heatpump yearly BTU calculation worksheet

nobueno

Silver Supporter
Sep 25, 2019
Erie, CO
Our county requires us to offset 100% of our BTU usage with either an air source heat pump, solar thermal or solar PV. We're going with a heat pump but they want a "worksheet prepared by the system supplier with system specification necessary to offset the required BTUs per year." We're getting the Pentair 460958 - UltraTemp 140 H/C https://www.pentair.com/en/products/pool-spa-equipment/pool-heaters/ultratemp_high_performanceheatpump/sku/460958.html

I've sent a message to Pentair but haven't received anything back yet. Does anyone here know if I could find a spec sheet like this on their site somewhere?

How does an air source heat pump “offset” BTUs? It uses energy. Solar thermal & PV I get, but a heatpump uses energy from the grid to run. So all you’re doing is changing the location at which the gas is used from you home to the electrical power station (unless the power is coming from hydro and/or some mix of solar and wind)?

How does an air source heat pump “offset” BTUs? It uses energy. Solar thermal & PV I get, but a heatpump uses energy from the grid to run. So all you’re doing is changing the location at which the gas is used from you home to the electrical power station (unless the power is coming from hydro and/or some mix of solar and wind)?
Agreed, but I don't make the rules, I just need to follow them :)

Thanks, I've done that but unfortunately it doesn't show the yearly BTU, which is what the county wants.

Yearly BTU is directly proportional to runtime at a given OAT. It is easily derived from the heat pump calculator runtime results.

Yearly BTU is directly proportional to runtime at a given OAT. It is easily derived from the heat pump calculator runtime results.

But I need a sheet from the manufacturer saying the expected yearly output would be x BTUs to give to the county. I can't calculate it based on their specs and give it to them. I was hoping that was something they had on their site or maybe something available to PBs I couldn't find.

You said the sheet needs to be supplied by the “prepared by the system supplier”. That is different then the manufacturer. The system supplier can be a pool builder or installer. They are supplying you with the system.

I would think local companies know how to satisfy the requirement. The BTUs used depend on the local environment. The manufacturer does not know that. The local system supplier does.

I can see how to create a spreadsheet that would pass a reasonability test.

You said the sheet needs to be supplied by the “prepared by the system supplier”. That is different then the manufacturer. The system supplier can be a pool builder or installer. They are supplying you with the system.

I would think local companies know how to satisfy the requirement. The BTUs used depend on the local environment. The manufacturer does not know that. The local system supplier does.

I can see how to create a spreadsheet that would pass a reasonability test.

Thanks, I guess I read it as it needed to come from the manufacturer. I'll ask our PB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.