camcdonald1

Sep 19, 2020
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Like so many others, I have encountered failure on two out of my three Pentair GloBrite in ground pool lights. Interestingly, the two failed within days of each other, while the third is still operating, for now.

I'm looking into Florida Sunseeker replacement options, as OEM Pentair lights are almost double the cost, hard to find and subject to early failure. I'm attempting to remove one of the GloBrites and it will not easily come out of the niche. I've rotated the face of the unit about 1/8 turn according to the manual, it frees, and then I can wiggle it out of the niche about 1 inch. From there I cannot get the unit to pull out, it's providing a lot of resistance. On the other end near the transformer box I'm looking for signs of wire movement, to see if my moving the bulb corresponds, and there is no movement of the wires.

My questions are:
1) do I need to apply a lot of force, or leverage to pull the device out of the niche? It seems excessive. I would've thought that once rotated, the light should easily come out, however, it's anything but.

2) will this model work as a replacement?

POOL TONE NICHELESS 1 1/2 INCH SWIMMING POOL OR SPA LIGHT 15 - 100 FEET

Thanks!

Last edited:
Success. So after some brute strength and back and forth tugging on both ends, I was finally able to freely pull the entire light and cord through the conduit.

I would still be interested in viable replacement alternatives. The model I linked to Florida Sunseekers appears to be advertised as a replacement for 1.5" inch GloBrite bulbs, however, the appearance of their light looks significantly different than the form factor of the light I just pulled out of the pool.

It should not take excessive force to pull the Globrite and wire out of the conduit. Not saying you might not have to work it back and forth a bit. EDIT -- I see you got it, great. Hopefully you tied a pull string to it ----

The Florida Sunseeker lights will work. The outside diameter of the lens is just over 6" (Front Diameter including Stainless Steel Trim 6 inches) so be sure you have room around the light receptacle for that. They secure using a silicone ring around the light driver that fits into the Globrite receptacle.

The Sunseeker lights will not follow the Pentair light shows in your automation. They will have their own, and you will just have to see how they match up. The Sunseeker lights are much brighter.

Thank you @mknauss. To clarify, the replacement unit I'm looking at appears to be smaller in footprint than the 6" model you reference. Florida Sunseeker has a nicheless option (edited my original post to include) that advertises as a replacement for GloBrites. Is this the same device you are familiar with, and approximately 6" in diameter? The reason I could use a smaller diameter is one of my lights is in the spa and installs inside the round curvature. If the face of the bulb is too wide, it will not lay flat along the interior of the tub.

The outside diameter of the Sunseeker light is 6". It is stated on their description - (Front Diameter including Stainless Steel Trim 6 inches) - I know because I have the same issue with my spa. Very tight curvature and the light did not lie flat in that area.. So when I returned them, I started a conversation with the owner. He added that statement to the description - and is working on a smaller version. Not ready for sale yet due to supply chain issues, but hopefully soon.

Reactions: camcdonald1
You're absolutely right, sorry I missed that in their description text. Out of curiosity, what is your solution? Just waiting it out until a replacement is available, and keeping the damaged bulb in place awaiting removal when you have a new unit to install? I'll buy just one F.S. nicheless unit for now, since I have a flat installation area on the other bulb in the pool.

I got the Globrites. This was about 18 months ago or so, two cost me about $600. I did find a hack on YT to put silicone sealant on the seal area that leaks. Did that so will see.

If you mix and match, not likely the colors will match ----

Note Pentair now has a Pentair MicroBrite to GloBrite Niche Adapter | 618040 to use a MicroBrite light in a Globrite niche.

The 618040 MicroBrite-to-GloBrite adaptor installs onto any MicroBrite Light and allows it to be mounted into a GloBrite Niche or a ColorVision Bubble. Pentair also offers a MicroBrite-G light kit (item # 620166) which comes as a MicroBrite, color light along with the adapter but only in 150’ foot cord length.

Thanks @ajw22 for the additional ideas. I'm trying to get out with the least hit to my wallet. I think the MicroBrites look like a great option but are a bit spendier. I value the OEM lighting integration so my plan will be to buy a Pentair 602055 GloBrite replacement and implement the YT silicone seal hack. I found a retailer offering the replacement light for $350 so will go that route.

Is there any harm in keeping the light niche empty while I wait for the replacements to arrive? I pulled out both lights so the niche is open and exposed, and the replacements won't arrive for at least another week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I pulled through an electricians nylon fish line and have secured anchors on both ends of the line. Probably overkill but wouldn't want either end of the fish line to somehow accidentally get pulled through, or lose an end inside the conduit.

Reactions: mknauss
One other comment to include in this thread for future readers. I also plan to remove the remaining functioning light at the same time I install replacements for the two that failed. I will apply the silicone sealant "hack" to the working light in the hopes I can extend its longevity and avoid another expensive replacement in the short term.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.