Pentair easytouch comm problem

Doggo

Aug 9, 2015
ocala fl
I'm having what appears to be a comm problem with my easy touch. I have screen logic, variable speed pump and chlorinator all from pentair. They have all had some issue the past few weeks. I would get email alerts that the chlorine generator lost comm. I've had issues connecting to the screen logic. It hangs up on the computer if I try to get past the first page. The mobile app I assumed was working but it seems to have been reading a cache or something. Finally I noticed the pump was not on and the display didn't show 'not active' on the pump. The easytouch display shows 'no comm' under pump status.

I disconnected the wires to the wireless module and get the same issue. Reset the easytouch as well as cycled power. Unit is in auto mode. Issue is somewhat intermittent. Assume at this point it's one of the two control boards within the easytouch. Any idea how to troubleshoot which one?

Dog,

The first thing to do is disconnect everything from the com port except for the pump.. Then turn the system on at the pad and see what the pump says.. Since it is intermittent, I would run it a day and see if it continues to work. If the pump says "Display not Active" that tells you that the main board (with the actual com port) is working...

If with just the pump connected to the com port, the pump does NOT say "Display not active" then it could be the pump or the main board, but most likely the main board.

If it works for a day or so, then add just one item at a time back to the com port and see which one loads it down. I would start with the SWCG's power supply board (Surge card), then the ScreenLogic antenna..

As a side note, I would double check that they wired your system correctly.. The power to the pump should NOT pass through any relay.. The power to the big SWCG transformer MUST come from the Load side of the Pump/Filter relay..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm confident the pump is not the issue. What I'm curious about is how to troubleshoot the 2 boards within the easytouch. The 'main' board that contains the screen runs to a com port to a breakout board part 521594 (picture attached, not mine). I'm suspicious of this board since I already had to resolder the chlorinator connector. As I'm writing this, I assume I could just connect the pump comm wires directly to the main board? That would indicate a problem with that breakout board if that works...

Attachments

• download_20200906_132044.jpg
    download_20200906_132044.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 6
Dog,

You asked how to troubleshoot it and I outlined what I would do.. The first rule of troubleshooting is to not assume anything.

I would never assume the pump and main board are good unless I proved it by running with just the pump and the main board connected..

That said, it is your pool and you are free to do what you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Appreciate your help. I'm not clear what you are suggesting. There are multiple com ports. There is one com port leaving the 'main' board (520712). This goes to a breakout board that has 3 com ports (521593). Do the yellow and green just tie together or do they go through a chip on this board? I can't remember when I set things up if you have a specific address for each com port or if that is purely based on the device (chlorinator, pump). Are you suggesting running devices directly back to (520712)? Can this be done with pump, chlorinator and screen logic without harm?

Dog,

There is only one com port J20 on the main board.. The Surge card has three connections, but they are all tied together and then back to J20 with a jumper wire.

I am not saying that the surge card could not be bad somehow, what I'm trying to say is you want to prove that the pump and the main board (J20) work flawlessly by themselves.. Running only the pump and the main board, proves that J20 (the only com port) is working... If you can't get the pump and the main board working, nothing else will work. If the pump and main board will not work, or is intermittent, you have at least narrowed the problem down to the main board or the pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ogdento
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.