Pentair Easy Touch “no comm”

dooger54

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
My Easy Touch remote has worked flawlessly until a few days ago. Now it won’t communicate with the Pentair main unit, gives me a NO COMM error. I searched past posts on here and found the instructions below-

Try resetting the address.

From the load center at the equipment:

press menu.
press up arrow (scroll) to settings, press select (right arrow)
scroll to address and press the right arrow button.
wait till display says "sending address".

From the hand held unit:

Do the same:
press menu.
press up arrow(scroll) to settings, press select (right arrow)
scroll to address and press the right arrow button to lock on to the unique address that is being sent from the outdoor panel.
wait until display says "found addressed".
press the menu button to save and exit this mode.

Now return to the outdoor panel:
press the menu button 3 times to exit the "sending address" mode.

I did all that, it says it found the address. But when I save and go back to the menu it doesn’t fix the problem. Still says NO COMM.

ANY IDEAS?

hi, it's odd that the address was found but it still shows no comm.

check out these questions and let us know (in this post here) the answers for 1-3:

for the transceiver card (shown in the post right after question #3), there are two LEDs that are marked "485 Link" and "RF Link"... the 485 Link led should flash about once a second, and the RF link led should flash when you press a button on the handheld remote... what are those leds doing?

Work through Tom's troubleshooting steps. He's the man.

But at some point, before you replace anything, check the cabling. 98% of all electronic problems is a fault in the cabling. (100% of that statistic is just made up.)

After turning off all breakers to your equipment, find and detach every connection, every wire, that is related to the problem. Take a pic of each before you do, to record what goes where. Then clean each contact point thoroughly, restoring a bright, shiny surface. Scrap with a knife or scrub with sand paper. Mind that any crud or metal filings don't land inside your components. Reconnect everything, restore power, cross fingers, stand on one foot, and hope for the best!

Do you have visual access to all the wiring? Check for chewing (bugs and rodent stuff). If you cannot see all the cables, you'll need to check conductivity of each wire. If you don't know how to do that, holler and we'll walk you through it.

It's probably a bad board, but like I said, before you spend 3 or 4 bills on a new one, check the connections and cables, because a new board won't fix those. We have photos around here somewhere of chewed wires, corrosion problems, and even fried ants that shorted out a circuit board. You'd be surprised at what is possible.

Reactions: ogdento
We loves a happy ending!

The Peanuts Movie, reviewed.

Last edited:
Throwing this in, just in case...
I had a customer who opted for the wireless remote she could work pool from her cell phone. This was a Compool to Easy Touch retro fit.
No Comm. No results after tons of effort.
Short story, we decided to just get another indoor controller. Same thing, No Comm.
It turned out to be the dang 4 pin-out connector at the power center was defective.
I'm not saying this will be your fix, but at least worth a shot. Change it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.