Pentair Easy Touch Automation System By Itself OR with a Wired Control Panel?

Feb 21, 2012
S. California
I am having my pool redone and I am having a Pentair Easy Touch Automation System setup so I can control everything on my phone, iPad and computer. I am also considering hardwiring a Pentair control panel in my garage so I can manually control everything if needed.

1. How reliable is the automation system when using a phone, iPad or computer/
2. Would you consider hard wiring a control panel also? If so, for what reasons?

Thanks in advance!

I will answer #2. I find it important to have an indoor controller which is permanently in one place (i.e., can't misplace it) and that anyone, including guests who may not have access to my WiFi, can use. I also don't want to worry about WiFi being up or down. My hard-wired controller is in my family room, which is convenient yet unobtrusive. I wouldn't want to have to go to the garage to see and use it.

I suspect within a short time a guy whose initials are JR will come by to answer #1 and to suggest why you might prefer the IntelliCenter to the EasyTouch + ScreenLogic.

Reactions: bellbound
If you want remote access to EasyTouch you need to add ScreenLogic. The cost of the ET+ScreenLogic is about the same as the newer IntelliCenter. Consider getting that.

I want a wired control panel in my house so wife, kids, guests don’t have to find a phone to control the pool.

Bell,

Well if you like the way old black rotary-dial phones work, you will love a hardwired remote... :mrgreen:

I have ScreenLogic (What is needed to make an EasyTouch work with your PC, Phone or Tablet..)

Just make sure you never buy a "lite" version of the EasyTouch.. It has no load center has very very limited functions.. It will have a model number with an "L" in it.. PL4 or PSL4. They often come with ScreenLogic as a way to entice you to buy something that is almost worthless.

ScreenLogic gives you displays like this...

Thanks,

Jim R.

So sorry, we bought Intellitouch with Power Center and Screen Logic Bundle that will supposedly enable us to do everything from our phones, iPads and computers. It includes the following:

ScreenLogic Interface (520500) & Wireless Connection Kit Bundle (522620)

As far as I know, this is the current version of the setup, and there is a newer one that just came out, though I have been told that the one that I got was better than the updated version for some reason and I didn't need the newer one.

1. Based on my updated info on what I purchased, what are your thoughts on also adding the hard wired control panel in my garage for redundancy?
2. Does the wireless connection kit bundle include what I need to add a control panel in my house? I'm not even sure what the wireless connection kit bundle is for....

Thanks!

I can’t imagine why you would want a control panel in your garage. I have IntelliCenter, the newest and several steps above Intellitouch. Even still, I’ve never not been able to use the app. The app connects directly (via WiFi) to it, so you don’t need Internet.

Plus, my “redundancy” is the panel itself. If, for whatever reason, you can’t use the app, can’t you just use the Intellitouch panel directly?

I'm just trying to consider all options while I still have everything torn up in my backyard.

When you say "Plus, my “redundancy” is the panel itself. If, for whatever reason, you can’t use the app, can’t you just use the Intellitouch panel directly?"

1. Please pardon my complete ignorance on what I just bought;I honestly do not even know what this means. Where does this panel go? What is this panel?
2. Are you saying that instead of controlling everything from your phone, that you can control everything from some other panel that it also comes with?

Thanks!

It’s a piece of hardware that your pool equipment is plugged into.

This is it. You can even download the user manual.

So I have an issue in my equipment area with available space that I am still working out. I am glad you brought this up regarding the panel.

How far can the panel be wired from the equipment? Since the equipment area is going to be tight, I want to make sure that I will be able to easily get to the panel if needed. Where do you have yours located?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Intellitouch is designed to be installed at the pad where the equipment is. Anything you want to control, pump, lights, valves, heater, all connect to it. I guess you could install it away from the pad, but all wiring would have to be run to the Intellitouch panel. I'll leave this here and let others weigh in as I'm not an electrician and don't know how long you'd want to run those wires.

This Intellitouch panel is what you'll control everything from, if you want hands on by the pump control. Turn pool on, heater, change valves, etc. You would not need another panel in the garage because you have Screenlogic, you noted that in Post 1. Screenlogic is your remote control product to use while you're in the house or basically anywhere in the world away from the equipment. This Screenlogic system is reliable and works very well. (Don't let your product Intellitouch be confused with the newer Intellicenter which has remote connection problems).

You can do full setup and control from the Screenlogic app on your PC and your phone.

Last edited:
1. Please pardon my complete ignorance on what I just bought;I honestly do not even know what this means. Where does this panel go? What is this panel?
2. Are you saying that instead of controlling everything from your phone, that you can control everything from some other panel that it also comes with?
I hope when you say "just bought" you don't mean you've actually taken money from your own wallet and paid it to someone else already. You need to do some research and educate yourself about all of this stuff before shelling out the big bucks!

Usually, pool equipment - pump(s), valves, filter, heater - sits on a rectangular area of concrete we call a pad. Usually, the main outdoor control panel, e.g., IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, IntelliCenter, etc., is right there on the concrete pad because a boatload of wires connect it to the equipment on the pad (and elsewhere, such as pool lights) and to your home's electric supply. You need to plan your space so that you can get to the main control panel without contortions; you need easy physical access to it. You also need physical access to all the pieces of equipment in order to maintain them. Plan your space accordingly. It is a mistake to jam equipment so close together, just because it fits, that you can't squeeze your body in.

When we say "wired control panel", this means a secondary remote controller at some other location but wired to the main outdoor control panel. This is usually inside the house for easy access, not in the garage. Where it goes depends on where you can physically run wires. You can perform some, but generally not all, of the functions of the main panel from the remote. There are also wireless remote controllers which you can carry around. And, given the right network connectivity equipment, your phones, tablets, and computers.

I suggest you shut your wallet and hit the brakes on this project until you have a grasp of these basics.

Last edited:
As far as I know, this is the current version of the setup, and there is a newer one that just came out, though I have been told that the one that I got was better than the updated version for some reason and I didn't need the newer one.

Below is the comparison between the latest IntelliCenter and the older IntelliTouch.

From your signature it looks like you mostly have Hayward equipment, have you seen the OmniPL where the panel can be located remotely?

Below is the comparison between the latest IntelliCenter and the older IntelliTouch.

From your signature it looks like you mostly have Hayward equipment, have you seen the OmniPL where the panel can be located remotely?

Just bought Pentair bubblers, lamineers, and deck jets....I will look at your links, thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.