Pentair DE Filter without 5 way valve - ports labeled wrong

*SIGH* The multi-port is indeed an irrelevant tangent, except that it was brought into the discussion, to illustrate that it seems to be - as sold - working contrary to the design intent. That's all. Let's not go any farther on that matter.

JamesW, again, I'll get you the specifics when I get back to the site.

Regroup. Something is wrong. I bought a turnkey valve, which is sold as being specific for the FNS Plus DE filter. (yes, I do understand that sand and DE are exactly opposite in their port arrangement) If I believe the valve that I bought, the filter is labeled wrong. If I believe the filter, then the Valve is labeled/configured wrong. Either way, the setup functioned flawlessly for a good amount of time, until a manufacturing defect did the valve in.

I will provide you the requested info as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help so far.

When you put water through the center hole and the multiport is on Filter, the water comes out of the top hole that lines up with the filter?

When you had the multiport installed, did you have the pump connected to the center pipe?

Is there any part number on the multiport at all?

Do you have the original box that the multiport came in?

Last edited:
Confirm the handle on the MPV is set firmly to FILTER.

PL1106-5.jpg

The label should say de filter only.

Amazon keeps great records.. You can just look up your past orders and see what P/N it was supposed to be, and compare that with the P/N on the position label..

I posted the item earlier from my archived records

When you put water through the center hole and the multiport is on Filter, the water comes out of the top hole that lines up with the filter?

When you had the multiport installed, did you have the pump connected to the center pipe?

Is there any part number on the multiport at all?

Do you have the original box that the multiport came in?

Water comes out the top hole, like it would if it were for a sand filter.

I had the pump connected to the opening going straight up through the middle, underside. As if to spray water into the air.

No part number. Most of the writing is faded, but i can still make out the positions.

No, I have no box with it. That was gone after the installation. (since installation voids warranty)

Confirm the handle on the MPV is set firmly to FILTER.

Confirmed.

I am beginning to believe that whomever distributed this item through Amazon, probably didn't have the right configuration. Literally switching this 180 degrees would reverse the output. However, I apparently didn't catch it, or know to catch it, when I assembled it. It was supposed to be matched for the filter.

James,

Is the fix to remove the multiport head and rotate it 180 degrees??? Is that even possible to do?

Edit.. While on the surface, this appears to be the answer, I have found out that I am full of it again today, and you can't just rotate the top.. Too bad, cause that would have been easy...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you post a picture of the label and the whole valve?

In any case, your original concern is if the inlet and outlet of the filter are marked correctly. Yes, they are.

If you're not going to use a multiport, then you should have enough information.

If you want to use a multiport, you should get the correct one as the one you have is probably the wrong one.

The top label should say "For DE filters" or "For Sand/Quad DE".

Note: The Quad DE filter takes the same multiport as the sand filter, which can cause some confusion because it says DE.

If you have the wrong multiport, you can't just rotate the top 180 degrees. That won't work.

Last edited:
X,

So the conclusion then is that the filter is labeled correctly and that the problem (no matter how it happened) is that the multiport valve is not the right one for the filter.

I'm glad we were able to help you get that figured out.

Good Luck with your project,

Jim R.

Glad we could help.

If you want to use a multiport in the future, I would recommend the Pentair 261152 Multiport Valve Kit 2in. Threaded.

In my opinion, it's a better design than the high flow valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.