Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are in the early phases of construction and will be using either the Intellicenter or Easytouch/Screenlogic from Pentair. I would assume that both of these require some sort of wifi signal to be able to talk with your phone/devices.

Last night I added wifi mesh extenders to my existing wifi network so that I can get good wifi when using the pool/patio, including utilizing the automation features. All is good from the pool/spa/patio areas, but the signal significantly dropped on the side of my house where the pool equipment will be.

Does the automation equipment require a wifi signal, and does any have any tricks to extending wifi to your equipment?

We are in the early phases of construction and will be using either the Intellicenter or Easytouch/Screenlogic from Pentair. I would assume that both of these require some sort of wifi signal to be able to talk with your phone/devices.

Last night I added wifi mesh extenders to my existing wifi network so that I can get good wifi when using the pool/patio, including utilizing the automation features. All is good from the pool/spa/patio areas, but the signal significantly dropped on the side of my house where the pool equipment will be.

Does the automation equipment require a wifi signal, and does any have any tricks to extending wifi to your equipment?
JJ_Tex
1. You could install a Wireless Access Point (WAP) in the vicinity of the equipment pad. You will need to connect the WAP to your router (or a switch which is connected to your router) via a Cat5E/6 cable.

2. If you do in fact, opt for the IntelliCenter, then you could connect the IntelliCenter directly to your router and not even worry about WiFi (you can't connect the EasyTouch directly to your router, you have to use the screenlogic protocol adapter, which IntelliCenter does not require). Myself and some others here have opted to connect our IntelliCenter automation systems using the above method.

There are some obvious advantages to this option but also one disadvantage and it is this. If you decide on the wired method and lightning ever hits your IntelliCenter or connected equipment, not only will you probably lose your pool equipment but the surge could also take out your other IT devices and anything connected to them. Also, if you experienced a significant surge on your household IT equipment, that surge could find its way to your IntelliCenter. But then again, I could also be hit by lighting on the course but that hasn't stopped me from playing golf. :p

I just wanted to give you some options and provide you with all available information.
Thanks for the great question!
r.

Last edited:
jj,

While I would go with the IntelliCenter with a new build, if you do go old school with ScreenLogic, it does not use WiFi.. The connection between the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic is a wireless Radio link... like an old portable phone..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@JJ_Tex
I had a similar situation at my house. Wi-Fi on the patio and even a little ways out into the yard was ok...but around the corner where the equipment is going to be, not so much. I ended up getting another UAP-AC-PRO access point and put it under the soffit in the backyard. Wi-Fi is perfect everywhere outside now, even a few houses away..lol. 1B9C4072-B4D1-4104-BE30-7D8D94FA153C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.