Pentair Automation and SW Conversion

Fbskiracer

Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2020
Upstate NY
I need convert to SW. I can't keep up with the pool and while I love my wife, the chemistry isn't her strong suit. I also need to replace our Dolphin M200 that came with the pool because its impeller/motor is not keeping it down.

20K gallon Vinyl. 4 lighted Pentair DeckJets, 2 Pentair Multicolor lights, Pentair single speed pump 1.5HP, Pentair Heater.

I do have an autocover which tends to keep my pH down and light out. I have a UV sanitizer included by the builder that needs a new lamp as well. I know the forum here thinks they aren't worth it but I am not sure if it is beneficial to me given the pool is closed and no light gets to it 95% of the time.

My goal is to make all of this as simple as possible. I want to automate everything I can. I don't want to do this again.
So my my questions are what Pentair system do I need (I want something I can get to on my phone)?
Is it worth adding Intelli pH?
Should I upgrade my pump to variable flor now?
Is therer anything I can add to help with cleaning besides a better robot? We tend to get lots of pollen (and debris trapped in the autocover box which probably needs a deep clean).

Any suggestions are welcomed.

IntelliCenter or IntelliCenter Lite + IntelliChlor IC40 + IntelliFlo VSF pump + Cover card for IntelliCenter will give you what you describe.

The cover card will know when your cover is open and adjust your pump speed and SWG output.

pH control is typically not an issue for a liner pool and an IntellipH should not be necessary.

IntelliCenter or IntelliCenter Lite + IntelliChlor IC40 + IntelliFlo VSF pump + Cover card for IntelliCenter will give you what you describe.

The cover card will know when your cover is open and adjust your pump speed and SWG output.

pH control is typically not an issue for a liner pool and an IntellipH should not be necessary.

So just to clarify. I'm in season 3 of this pool, but it is my first. My pH routinely drops down to 7.2-7.3 range if I leave it closed for a few days. I know pH should drift up, but my pool for whatever reason goes down not up. I don't think I added ANY acid last year. It has been much better after I added borates in year 2.

Running the deckjets brings it back up but now that we have a mobile baby again, the pool will probably be closed more this summer. I was told the autocover prevents CO2 off gassing which results in none of the standard drift downward.

In regard to the cover card, I have a single speed pump. Is it worth upgrading to variable while doing all the other things or wait till dies?

What is your TA?

What is your pump runtime?

In regard to the cover card, I have a single speed pump. Is it worth upgrading to variable while doing all the other things or wait till dies?

Depends on your electrical cost for the 12 hours/day you are running your pump.

You have a short pool season and run the pump for maybe 5 months a year.

It is difficult getting the payback on a VS pump with that operating profile.

Your next pump will be a VS pump.

Reactions: gingrbredman
The SWG output option is a nice feature for sure but does have a little bit of a learning curve once it is installed. You have to kind of guess how long you will have the cover open and how much chlorine output you need to keep the pool chlorinated in the right range. It took me a few weeks to get it right, for example when we first open the pool, we only have the SWG set to about 10% for a month or so while it is still cool most days and not a lot of swimming. We adjust again come June, then July and then back when it starts to get cool again. Should let the salt cell last a long time.

You can also program the Intellicenter to not let the lights turn on when the cover is closed and make sure the deck jets do not run when the cover is closed. I have a slide and it is nice to know it cannot turn on by accident with the cover closed which could be a big issue. Pretty cool little card once it is installed and working properly and does provide a lot of benefits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.