Pentair 460775 400,000 BTU Natural Gas

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I have had this heater for about 7 1/2 years. Recently would not fire up. Turns out our local neighborhood pack rats built a nest and helped themselves to the wiring for dinner. We live on a desert open space and pack rats are a way of life. Thought I had them contained but they found this heater too inviting and I never suspected they would wriggle their way in there. One option is to try and get the wiring repaired. The wiring is like $200-300 plus labor. Our summer temps are 100 F for 2-3 months so the circuitry boils in the sun. So I am sorta of leaning towards getting the whole heater replaced. In 2016 I paid around $2400 for the heater. I have done some searching and the best prices I see are around $3900! Yikes, have they really gone up that much? Anyone have a low price source or know what the wholesale price is? I may be able to get pricing thru a local wholesaler I know of, but would like a comparison price. Thanks

Reactions: Wildcat
I just went through this. It’s a filthy job but was not that hard to diagnose and fix. In my case, they had chewed through 4 wires and the plastic shroud on the blower. You can crimp in new wire (18 AWG) where it is damaged, and the Mastertemp manual has a great troubleshooting guide.

When you are done, buy the MK ratproofing kit to prevent future infestations.

Reactions: Wildcat