pebble guy told me 7.2 pH has damaged my pebble. And now going to leave pool empty for 3 days with temps over 85

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
pb has needed to do some warranty work with an empty pool. by the time it was scheduled work will take place next week where highs will be 85 and more daily. pool will be emptied mon and filled on Wed. Sunday is Phoenix' first day over 85 for the summer coming up. pebble guy came out to get a quote for acid wash for the pb a couple weeks ago. the guy was talking with me about my pool and said that first place to notice damage is on the steps. I told him I had realized I could feel the roughness of the pebbles over the 6 yrs we've had the pool. He said it's due to going under 7.6 pH. I would frequently bring it to 7.2 trying to get chemistry right. He said to not go under 7.6 again in our pool due to the damage. (or maybe it was 7.5. I'll look it up). He said it's ok to have pool empty in any temp with a pebble pool, but not with a damaged pebble pool. pb said no prob unless temps are sustained over 85. I wanted to see what other's experiences have been with pebble and bring up this topic that I'm sure has been well established with tfp, but I have to say, it's concerning that now I'm being told I've damaged my pebble and sure enough it feels much more rough than in the beginning. Thanks

That's ridiculous! 7.2 to 8 (yes, 8) is NOT damaging to pools on the whole. Now, if your CSI was wonky due to out of line calcium, or temp, or some other element.... perhaps 7.2 isn't where you want to be. It is a balancing game with the CSI, and most people aren't even paying attention to that.

thx, y'all. I'll have to pull up my specific pebble details but they're prob all the same. He also mentioned high chlorine. He checked my pool and it was 5 or so. We're not swimming now and what I've read here time and time again was that level will not damage the pool or equipment since it's in balance with the CYA. I am looking in the directions Allen posted and like most PBs and pool stores, it calls for FC of 1-3. Do you think having kept a higher FC level could be damaging my pebble or what is the reason for already feeling a rougher pebble after just 6 yrs? How long should I expect to get out of our pebble?

In regards to emptying our pool tomorrow when it's going to be highs of 90, lows of 55, tues highs of 87, lows of 54, and wed highs of 89, lows of 60, I didn't see anything in the pebble manual re temps and pb said it's only a prob when there are sustained temps above 85. I hope they're right! At least I have it in an email if not, but still makes me nervous.

Do you think having kept a higher FC level could be damaging my pebble or what is the reason for already feeling a rougher pebble after just 6 yrs? How long should I expect to get out of our pebble?

Rougher pebble is very subjective. We can't guess what may be happening but the chemistry of chlorine says it is not the cause.

I have to say, this is a tricky one to wrap my head around. High levels of acid or chlorine are the only things that seem to make sense in my head but you all seem so sure that it's not that. I'll just have to hope for the best with this one and continue to try to maintain my levels and know that nothing lasts forever. thx much

When you added the acid, where did you add it in the pool? Near where the pebble appears damaged?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.