PB Will Not Do Pavers For Deck /Help

parkinsmith

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
Clifton Texas, Lake Whitney
Hi
I need some help on the best way to approach this decking issue.

My PB told me they do not do pavers when I asked to upgrade to pavers for my decking. Originally we were going to do concrete and then once we got started we were advised by a high end pool builder friend of ours that in our situation we could get a lot of cracking and he strongly suggested us to use pavers and not brushed concrete.

We upgraded to a sandblasted marble coping and really want to do matching pavers for the decking. We are now set on the pavers look. What options do I have?

1. Ask the PB to work with us on this and look for a sub for us and contract with them ( they use subs from Dallas for everything as they are a small Waco company) we are between Dallas and Waco,

2. Look for a sub on our own and ask the PB to allow us to take care of the decking ? Is this risky having someone else come in for part of the job? Gotta think PB's don't like that

3. Deal with concrete ( really don't want to )

We are completed with our gunite and about to start coping and tile next week , next step after that would be the decking.

Grateful for any help and ideas .

Reactions: Taw
It’s your home, your money, and your pool. The pool builder doesn’t get to tell you what you want. You ask the pool builder to either sub out the paver work or you ask him to cancel the decking portion of the contract and you do the decking on your own. It’s as simple as that.

Since your pool structure is independent to your decking you can do what ever you want as long as your contract permit to cancel the concrete portion of it...

For those like me that the concrete is over the pool wall, liner attachment system etc. the concrete is partially part of my pool structure so it is better to have the pool guy be responsible of it.

Good luck with your next steps!

Just make sure you know who has the responsibility for any deck drains. I would look at having the paver installer do this to ensure the correct elevation and fall for drainage once deck is in.

If the PB is nervous based on your conditions, I would likely try and contract directly for the pavers, as it tells me he has had bad experiences with his crew/subs. Here in North Georgia, we have notoriously tough conditions due to the clay expansion/contraction. They use a special type of crushed black rock underlayment to isolate the pavers. Our PB came right out and said we will have some settling, but this will minimize it. They also warranty their work, and told us to to wait a full year to see the extent of the settling, and at that point they will come out and reset any of the settled areas. I would have whoever does the decking to also handle the drains to avoid any finger pointing.

One quote we got included the pavers (this company only did pavers). I made a woah comment on the paver price and that company then gave us the option/pool pricing without the pavers--keeping the decking all around grass. The designer told us the brand of pavers they contract with (local company) and then gave us the subcontracting company's name they use--telling us that we would save money doing the exact same pavers on our own after the build. But I would definitely want the pavers done in the same timeline as the build (during decking time) vs afterwards if possible.

One quote we got included the pavers (this company only did pavers). I made a woah comment on the paver price and that company then gave us the option/pool pricing without the pavers--keeping the decking all around grass. The designer told us the brand of pavers they contract with (local company) and then gave us the subcontracting company's name they use--telling us that we would save money doing the exact same pavers on our own after the build. But I would definitely want the pavers done in the same timeline as the build (during decking time) vs afterwards if possible.
Exacty ! If I needed to sub out , if the PB was ok with that I woudl want it to happen on the timeline . Do you have any concerns about a third party paver sub screwing up the pool install or is that not really an issue?

Having gone through a pool build, I would want the pb to be the one to warranty the deck. In that quote we felt comfortable getting pavers after because it was the same company the pb uses. The designer even mentioned we could contact that paver company and get a quote so we could see how much we would save. Because a pool deck is not the same as a backyard deck, I would've only wanted a company that I knew had a lot of pool experience. Even little things like the skimmer lids or drains, is it marble pavers or plastic etc...

We also had a bid from a builder who only did concrete. I think your builder should be flexible on this and work with you and help you get the pool you envision.

We had a similar experience with our landscaper who told us he subcontracts out for sod. He would give us the name of the company and we could contact them directly to save money. He even gave an estimate of how much we would save as he puts a certain percentage on the price they give him. I asked him if there was an issue with the sod who would we turn to and he said the sod company. We decided to not subcontract out the sod and that turned out to be a good thing for us even though it cost us a bit more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having gone through a pool build, I would want the pb to be the one to warranty the deck. In that quote we felt comfortable getting pavers after because it was the same company the pb uses. The designer even mentioned we could contact that paver company and get a quote so we could see how much we would save. Because a pool deck is not the same as a backyard deck, I would've only wanted a company that I knew had a lot of pool experience. Even little things like the skimmer lids or drains, is it marble pavers or plastic etc...

We also had a bid from a builder who only did concrete. I think your builder should be flexible on this and work with you and help you get the pool you envision.

We had a similar experience with our landscaper who told us he subcontracts out for sod. He would give us the name of the company and we could contact them directly to save money. He even gave an estimate of how much we would save as he puts a certain percentage on the price they give him. I asked him if there was an issue with the sod who would we turn to and he said the sod company. We decided to not subcontract out the sod and that turned out to be a good thing for us even though it cost us a bit more.
Thanks for this info , My gut is telling me not to have anyone but pool people with a lot of exp do the deck for all the reasons you stated. I am hoping my PB can work with us and find a way to get this done for us . If not I am not sure what we will do , I dont just want a landscaper messing with the pool deck , need to be pool decking people.

I think your PB is really saying he does not have any deck contractor to sub contract it to and does not want to be bothered.

Laying pavers well is more involved then a concrete pour.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
So I was wanting my PB to do marble or travertine pavers for my decking. They said they don't do pavers BUT they said "We can pour a sub deck (concrete) and do a travertine or marble overlay on top" . Can someone tell me exactly what that is and how it differs?

They also gave me the option of bringing in my own sub to do pavers application via sand compaction process. Thoughts ?

So I heard back from the PB on the pavers issue. Here is what they said ...
"We can pour a sub deck (concrete) and do a travertine or marble overlay on top" . What is that ?

They also gave me the option of crediting me back the deck money in the contract and I can bring in my own sub to do pavers for the deck via sand compaction process. Thoughts ?

So I heard back from the PB on the pavers issue. Here is what they said ...
"We can pour a sub deck (concrete) and do a travertine or marble overlay on top" . What is that ?

They also gave me the option of crediting me back the deck money in the contract and I can bring in my own sub to do pavers for the deck via sand compaction process. Thoughts ?

Select your paver materials, talk to the manufacturer about what installation method they recommend, and talk to some contractors. Then decide which way to go.

Reactions: parkinsmith

Select your paver materials, talk to the manufacturer about what installation method they recommend, and talk to some contractors. Then decide which way to go.
Great advice , thanks

My pool deck was installed starting last Friday morning, continued Saturday and today. It is 1.25" travertine pavers from this site: Cascade Blend Travertine Filled / Brushed Pavers – Stone Nature

They are installed on a 4" concrete base that was poured 3 weeks ago, with a crushed granite sand base (M10 sand) the pavers actually sit on. Here is a pic of the concrete before the sand is installed:

ASTK0001.JPG

Here is a pic of them installing the sand:

ASTK0262.JPG

And here is the sand around 75% of the pool, just prior to them starting on the travertine install:

ASTK0578.JPG

And travertine going down:

ASTK0865.JPG

And the main deck completed:

ASTK0433.JPG

If you look closely - see if you can find the skimmer covers and autofill.

This is the only way my builder will install travertine. Regular pavers are set in sand only, without the concrete base.

-Tom

Thank you , great advice !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.