Bay Area, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi folks. Inspecting our build I found the gunite sub buried 1 copper bonding wire. Is this fixable and if so how? We have 3 others that are showing and this one is no where to be found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230605_185931_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230605_185931_Gallery.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230605_190041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230605_190041_Gallery.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 29
First, I would dig in the area that your picture showed its location. It’s possible to be covered by only a small amount of Shotcrete and would be worth the time spent digging around.
Your inspector may require the fourth wire being present prior to decking, if so you will need to dig into the shell and expose the rebar to have the forth wire connected. Hydraulic cement could be used to fill the void that’s left behind.

Reactions: JC707
Thank you.

I spent some time digging in the trench and didn't find it.. maybe we'll get lucky and it's a little under the shell if they dig some out. 😒

PB came out today to connect all bond wires before our pre deck inspection tomorrow.

That missing 4th bond wire was no where to be found so guy had to go fishing and find rebar drilling into gunite. Finally found a spot to make proper connection.

There is a pretty darn big hole in gunite now, thinking of asking for gunite to fill it in instead of hydraulic cement but not too sure. I'll post a photo later when he leaves.

Edit: looks like he has some buckets out and going to patch the hole he made.

Last edited:
@AQUA~HOLICS

You know I dug out the area with missing bond wire....spent quite a while digging up dirt/etc trying to find.

Well after the PB did his thing I went outside to check it out and randomly moved some dirt around and what did I find...that missing freaking bond wire. Geez. I should have gave it another look over before PB came today! I do remember trying to find that wire when it was getting dark so I must have missed it!

Should I have them connect it or will 5 bond wires mess anything up?

Photos of patch + the missing bond wire found. Geez I feel like an idiot.

Now I am worried about structural integrity of that corner he cut out.

Attachments

• 20230621_124446.jpg
    20230621_124446.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230621_124445.jpg
    20230621_124445.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230621_124502.jpg
    20230621_124502.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I find all the bonding wires and tie them to a wooden steak and paint them fluorescent orange for this exact reason.
Tying the extra wire won’t hurt anything, but I have had inspectors find things like that and require it to be installed correctly or removed.
What will be installed in that corner? If it’s going to be decking or something similar it will most likely have a compatible material in that area.
The Shotcrete is 12” thick on the top of the B/B where the repair was located.

Reactions: JC707
I find all the bonding wires and tie them to a wooden steak and paint them fluorescent orange for this exact reason.
Tying the extra wire won’t hurt anything, but I have had inspectors find things like that and require it to be installed correctly or removed.
What will be installed in that corner? If it’s going to be decking or something similar it will most likely have a compatible material in that area.
The Shotcrete is 12” thick on the top of the B/B where the repair was located.

Thank you. It seems the construction manager for the PB is non-existent and I've been having to be my own advocate, which I don't mind but I'm all new to this. That wood stake trick seems like a great idea.

We are having paver decking installed there and all around the pool/patio area so hoping it'll all be OK.

Still kicking myself for not finding that 4th wire before he starting Jack hammering into the shell. Oh well, water under the bridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.