Paypack Pool Heater -Plasticy/Burning smell when operating

pittsfield

Mar 23, 2020
Columbus OH
Hi need your guys help please.

I have been noticing a very potent smell from the pool heater when it is heating, which I originally thought was gas but the more I smell it the more it smells like some burning plastic or something like that...

The original symptoms before the smell got bad was the system struggling to ignite but eventually coming on and heating. At some point I got an error on the heater which my research indicated was the thermal cut-off fuse going bad.
I replaced it and the error is gone and the pool heater is turning on fine, but the smell is as bad as ever.

I also opened up all the exhaust pipes to make sure nothing is clogin it up and it seemed pretty clean.

From the outside of the house where the trap is, I am seeing thicker than usual clouds coming out (which is what smells) but it doesn't look or smell like something is smoking. I've attached a picture of what it looks like from outside.

Any ideas what it could be? I am afraid to continue running it as the whole pool room smells like this burnt plastic. I also notice that it keeps reigniting itself every 5 minutes or so, but does so without much struggle.

Thanks,
Mark.

Attachments

• 20200323_174423.jpg
    20200323_174423.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200323_175300.jpg
    20200323_175300.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 29
Mark, welcome to TFP.

Paypack pool heater or Raypak pool heater?

What model?

Post pics of the heater.

Have you opened up the heater and looked at the insides?

This for an indoor pool? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment and we will not need to keep on asking you about it.

Mark, welcome to TFP.

Paypack pool heater or Raypak pool heater?

What model?

Post pics of the heater.

Have you opened up the heater and looked at the insides?

This for an indoor pool? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment and we will not need to keep on asking you about it.

Sorry its Raypak heater...was a typo

I've attached pictures. Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 18
The manufacturing date for Raypak is in the serial number.

Before 1995, it was month (first 2 digits) and then year (digits 3 and 4).

Beginning in 1995, they changed to year and month.

For example, Serial number 1604304448 was made in April 2016.

Yours was made December 2012 and probably installed in 2013.

That puts it at about 7 years old.

Hard to tell exactly what went wrong.

This is a case where contacting a professional expert is the best thing to do.

first off shut the gas off shut the breaker off, it looks like its in a room connected to your house. fire house burns down. Now the danger is gone.
Its old
dangerous
Now with that said if you are like me you will want to at least see if you can see what went wrong, plastic smell is melting wires you replaced a fuse...... AKA there is a short I am going to see what I can find out I know nothing about heaters since mine was taken after we bought the house.
The best thing is to hire someone or replace it, or go without.
hireapro there is one being tore apart
what I came accrost is they stink are when they get dirty you could clean it I would want to know why its blowing a fuse, A fuse is there to protect from something more horrid happening. I decided this is not a project for me to learn good luck keep us posted and take lots of pics :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The thermal fuse, aka rollout switch to us old timers, is a safety device designed to turn off the heater if the fire is "rolling out" of the combustion chamber. This is always a venting issue.
The fact that it has been working does not mean it was properly vented. Improperly vented heaters build up soot on the heat exchanger, which inhibits air flow, which builds up more soot, which blocks more airflow, until this happens. Your heater will need to be properly vented and the heat exchanger removed and cleaned or replaced. It is some nasty stuff and will stain concrete, so be careful where it is hosed off.

Reactions: crushkittykitty
The thermal fuse, aka rollout switch to us old timers, is a safety device designed to turn off the heater if the fire is "rolling out" of the combustion chamber. This is always a venting issue.
The fact that it has been working does not mean it was properly vented. Improperly vented heaters build up soot on the heat exchanger, which inhibits air flow, which builds up more soot, which blocks more airflow, until this happens. Your heater will need to be properly vented and the heat exchanger removed and cleaned or replaced. It is some nasty stuff and will stain concrete, so be careful where it is hosed off.
thank you I learned something today :)

Thanks for the advice. I definitely would hear heat "roll-out" when it first ignites...almost like a combustion inside of it.

Is removing the heat exchanger and cleaning it something I could do myself? Is there a good tutorial somewhere online on how to do that?

I am not going to be changing any venting as I've been using the pool for years now...I just want to get it cleaned or repaired so I can continue using it.
Would obviously prefer not to call a professional and do it myself.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.