jpeters956

Jun 3, 2021
Houston, TX
Okay so I might have made a stupid mistake.

I built a PVC pool cooler/aerator to try to combat the high temperatures here in Houston. It works pretty well but it was raw PVC so I wanted to spruce it up a bit and painted it with some Rust-Oleum spray paint. None of the area that I painted will be submerged, but some water does drip down into the pool. Did I just ruin my cooler?

I do not think you did any harm. You can monitor the dripping if that removes the paint but the cooling effect works as the spray comes out of the ports and comes in contact with air to form a mist. Just because you may have painted it a darker color (I assume) it should not hold much heat with constant water flow through it.

Post a picture so we can see your invention.

Thanks for the reply! I think I am mainly worried about chemicals leaching into the pool from the paint.

My setup was pretty simple, just two 2' sections of PVC connected to a T fitting. I drilled 10 1/8" holes on either side. It works okay, it definitely keeps the water from getting up into the 90s but I think it would perform better if I weren't in the Houston humidity.
cooler.jpgcooler2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.