ozone generator and UV light questions

That blanket statement is unsupported.

The reason such systems are now being required for commercial pools is simple: people with a financial interest like yourself convince lawmakers they are necessary. Nothing new, every industry does what they can to push financially beneficial laws.

Not that these systems don't have their place in the commercial field. Massive bather loads do offer situations where supplemental oxidation and/or sanitation are useful and good quality units can benefit the system. In a low bather load private pool with the low quality equipment that's available, it's a complete waste. A great residual income source for the sellers and a placebo for the owners.
Donaldson, I knew that, sooner or later, the personal attacks would come, though it did take a few years on this site. Not real sure what financial interest you think I have in convincing anyone to do anything, especially lawmakers. I couldn't care less what any one does with their pool. As I tell customers regularly, "Its your money, its your pool. I just offer options." As long as it is legal, I will do whatever they ask, but only after I let them know what my experience has told me. There are only two types of pools; those that have worn out or broken equipment and those that are going to have the same. I don't need to supplement my income by offering items that I wasn't there to look at/repair/replace. That's because there is always another job.
Yes, I have made a living in the industry for over 30 years. I have never recommended anything that I haven't tried on my pool first or of which I have no first-hand knowledge. I used my UV/ozone system for 6 months before I began to offer it, but only to customers who asked about them. Even then, I only give my experience with the product. I am not a salesman. I never approach a pool with the idea of doing any more than what I have been asked to do. Your insinuation otherwise is offensive at best. That's why ALL of my work is based either on recommendation from other pool companies or from customers that I have had in the past, some for decades. They know that I won't oversell.
I have slowed down now and only work on about 100 different pools a year. Perhaps your experience with pools and equipment is more ongoing and extensive, your signature doesn't say. I offer opinion based on experience. You?

I knew that, sooner or later, the personal attacks would come, though it did take a few years on this site. Not real sure what financial interest you think I have in convincing anyone to do anything, especially lawmakers
Let's get one thing straight here. 'The industry' sucks. There can be wonderful people who work in 'the industry'. But it's a corporate machine. We are not attacking the lovely and always helpful WalMart cashier here. We are attacking WalMart for lobbying to change laws, or keep them archaic, in its favor.

Last edited:
Let's get one thing straight here. 'The industry' sucks. There can be wonderful people who work in 'the industry'. But it's a corporate machine. We are not attacking the lovely and always helpful WalMart cashier here. We are attacking WalMart for lobbying to change laws, or keep them archaic, in its favor.
Sorry, but, to quote Donaldson: ". . .people with a financial interest like yourself. . ." doesn't get much more personal than that.

I've been using a UV/ozone system for several years. You must have some chlorine in the water or you will get algae. I am just able to get by with much less than I used to use. There is a lot of controversy surrounding these systems, but I have had no issues with mine nor any of the others I have installed.
May I ask how much chlorine do you put on your pool and how often?

I have a very low-use pool now, kids grown, grandkids grown. I usually maintain a .5 - 1ppm level of chlorine, with an appropriate level of CYA, with no issues with algae growth (unless I get a little lazy). If and when we have ones over to swim, I will kick that up to 3ppm, but that doesn't happen that often any more. This is what works for me. Every pool is different. Just takes a little experimenting.

TFP follows the FC/CYA Levels, 100% of the time. Anybody pushing their alternate and unsanitary views of water chemistry does not speak for the forum.

Clear water does not mean sanitary water. If someone implies otherwise, I'd be careful about following their recommendations.

Last edited:
As I said, controversy. Of course "all" the chlorine is in the water. UV, ozone, UV/ozone systems are not meant to replace the sanitizer in the water. They do, though, improve the water quality and sanitizing along with it. They are a secondary system and are now being required on many commercial pools. For example, it takes 20ppm of chlorine 12.75 hours to inactivate cryptosporidium, a very common contaminate in pools. (National Swimming Pool Foundation’s Pool & Spa Operator Handbook). UV/ozone systems have a 99.9% kill rate on the first pass. (https://www.poolspanews.com/facilities/maintenance/shedding-light-on-uv-and-ozone_o)
I suspect (just my opinion) that the UV industry paid someone off to make this a requirement. That's how these things usually get enacted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UV is used for drinking water system sanitation. So it just gets implied to be needed by the pool water. Poor assumption, but regulators are not always the brightest bulb in the bunch.

I have a very low-use pool now, kids grown, grandkids grown. I usually maintain a .5 - 1ppm level of chlorine, with an appropriate level of CYA, with no issues with algae growth (unless I get a little lazy). If and when we have ones over to swim, I will kick that up to 3ppm, but that doesn't happen that often any more. This is what works for me. Every pool is different. Just takes a little experimenting.
Thank you for the info but forgive me for asking this since I am a newby when it comes to swimming pools. I have a 3x7 meter pool with a depth of 4 feet. It says that my pool holds around 5,200 gallons. I really don't understand what ppm means? (again forgive me since this is supposed to be the most important way of determining pool measurements). With the 5,200 gallons on my pool, my contractor just told me to put half a gallon a month of chlorine and to do it once a month. I, on the other hand, is thinking of just breaking it down weekly to reach that half gallon so that the pool will be protected from algae. Meaning, if half a gallon is 76 oz. and i divide that by 4 weeks and add once a week, i will be adding 19 oz. of chlorine per week and I will add a little more if there is heavy usage or rain. Do i have the right analogy regarding this? and was my contractor right about the amount of chlorine to use? I am located in the philippines where there is hot weather all year round and a few months of rain here and there.

Not to add fuel to the fire but I guess I don't understand why some people think UV/Ozone is unsanitary. As mentioned before it's used for drinking water. My husband works for Pepsi and this is exactly how they bottle Aquafina water through a UV/Ozone filtration. Someone also mentioned the FDA hadn't approved or confirmed it's ability to kill all the bacteria then how to Bottled Water companies get by using the exact same filtration, bottling, and selling it all over the world...?

then how do Bottled Water companies get by using the exact same filtration, bottling, and selling it all over the world...?
Because it passes through the unit and is processed and bottled. It isn't constantly remixed with water that hasn't been treated, sending some of the same water though multiple times while other water rarely makes it through. It also doesn't have swimmers in the re-mixed tank and animals/kids using it as a bathroom.

So your pool needs residual sanitizer for the 99.9999% that is not being treated at any given moment, and may take several days to make it through the ozone/UV unit, depending on pump runtime.

The large drink companies are also using commercial grade ozone/UV units that do as they are supposed to. The risky dink residential units pale by comparison. (y)

Reactions: Pins
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.