Owner/Builder Questions

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
My wife and I have been wanting a pool for a while and the pool builder we have been working with can't fit us into his schedule in the timeframe we would like. I have been doing some reading about doing an owner build. I understand that it would be on me to find my own subcontractors for each phase of the project, but is there anything at all I would have to do myself when it comes to the actual construction? If I want Pentair equipment with full automation, who sets that up? For that matter, who sets up all the equipment and makes sure it's running properly? Who supports it after the fact? Are the reps from the equipment companies helpful to people who build their own pools?

I see you are in the northeast, we are a unique market. OB isn’t as easy here, most companies are vertically integrated with the possible exception of shotcrete or plaster..
As for manufacturer reps, it is there job to serve dealers not end users so you would have to catch one in a good mood or one of the friendlier gents.
& as far as liability is concerned check with your jurisdiction/ state -
OB can go sideways with withholding & comp audits, if a hair or two is out of line on a subs credentials.

How jammed can the outfit you have been engaged with be? Why not just wait?
How have you been “working with him” have you compensated him for his input or time?

Though user Blake pulled off an OB in CT.

I see you are in the northeast, we are a unique market. OB isn’t as easy here, most companies are vertically integrated with the possible exception of shotcrete or plaster..
As for manufacturer reps, it is there job to serve dealers not end users so you would have to catch one in a good mood or one of the friendlier gents.
& as far as liability is concerned check with your jurisdiction/ state -
OB can go sideways with withholding & comp audits, if a hair or two is out of line on a subs credentials.

How jammed can the outfit you have been engaged with be? Why not just wait?
How have you been “working with him” have you compensated him for his input or time?

Though user Blake pulled off an OB in CT.

In my area, it seems that the sane few subs do all the jobs regardless of who the builder is. We asked the builder we were working with to dig the shell this fall and finish in the siding. He can’t meet that request so we’re exploring other options. He didn’t ask for any compensation and we didn’t offer. When you meet with contractors, do you offer to pay them for his time?

Why not just wait till the spring. Then u aren’t worried about the shell in the winter. I mean if u start quick enough in spring u still have swim time in that season. I was going to do the same as you bit then my builder and another individual in the biz outside my area said hit it early and get it done in that season.

I mean u waited till his time to do a pool why not another few months. And who cares even if u don’t use it next year. U will have it the rest of ur life.

I know my builder wont even discuss starting something now cause he is so busy. He takes business and slots it as people sign and there is only so much time in the day. He can’t work around the clock.

Personally if u feel this guy will do a good job then he might be worth waiting on when u look at the time u loose vs the rest of ur life to swim and use the pool.

Bit it I’m one of these people who don’t mind a project going on for multiple years to have exactly what I want. Hence my build. My basement took me 5 years to finish. Sometimes it’s good to step back and wait. I know also if I didn’t wait on who I used my pool would have not turned out how it did. In that few extra months waiting on him I changed a ton cause of what I learned. The same is said for my basement and my home which I contracted. Going slow Gabe me time to reflect and make better choices and change things up as we loved woth partscthst were done.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Actually you are at a good time to start your owner build. There is very little chance of swimming this year so you can take advantage of the lull at the end of the season. Most of the contractors you will use will not be available much during the high season, which is now, but that is coming to an end so they should have more flexibility. The electrician usually installs the automation. Depending on how handy you are you could do that yourself (assuming code allows you to do your own electrical). Also usually your pool builder supports any warranty work and mine extends the warranties to 3 full years (usually 2 for most equipment). You'd want to get everything done this year but you could wait for the plaster until next year. My neighbors pool was a late start and too late for plaster so it sat over winter empty and was plastered in the spring. You can swim a couple days after plaster and water.

Be advised you can save money on an owner build (potentially a lot) but could also get raked over the coals by the contractors. My builder told me I could get my own gas guy to run the line as he was charging me $1500 for it. The best I could do on my own was upwards of $5000! So do your research!

Here is a list of some of what you will need (for a gunite pool) (don't forget permits/HOA):

1. excavate hole (remove dirt/add dirt)
2. install rebar/skimmers/plumbing stubs
3. shoot gunite shell
4. install border tile line
5. install coping
6. plumbing/gas
7. electrical
8. decking
9. fencing
10. plaster
11. equipment startup
12. landscaping

Actually you are at a good time to start your owner build. There is very little chance of swimming this year so you can take advantage of the lull at the end of the season. Most of the contractors you will use will not be available much during the high season, which is now, but that is coming to an end so they should have more flexibility. The electrician usually installs the automation. Depending on how handy you are you could do that yourself (assuming code allows you to do your own electrical). Also usually your pool builder supports any warranty work and mine extends the warranties to 3 full years (usually 2 for most equipment). You'd want to get everything done this year but you could wait for the plaster until next year. My neighbors pool was a late start and too late for plaster so it sat over winter empty and was plastered in the spring. You can swim a couple days after plaster and water.

Be advised you can save money on an owner build (potentially a lot) but could also get raked over the coals by the contractors. My builder told me I could get my own gas guy to run the line as he was charging me $1500 for it. The best I could do on my own was upwards of $5000! So do your research!

Here is a list of some of what you will need (for a gunite pool) (don't forget permits/HOA):

3. shoot gunite shell
5. install coping
6. plumbing/gas
7. electrical
8. decking
9. fencing
10. plaster
11. equipment startup
12. landscaping

Gate - maybe it should be #1 or #13 on your list??

People skills

3. shoot gunite shell
5. install coping
6. plumbing/gas
7. electrical
8. decking
9. fencing
10. plaster
11. equipment startup
12. landscaping

Gate - maybe it should be #1 or #13 on your list??

People skills

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.