Norfolk, NE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
So rather than patiently wait for my Taylor Salt test to show up I decided to add salt using test strips. My initial test was 1.3 - so less than 300 per the chart. I added 17 40Lb bags in two parts. 24 hours after the last add the strips showed 3750 so I fired up the RJ60. Salt was mixed using a brush and pool robot with pump running continuous. Ran the SWG for 2 days and the test kit arrived. Water tested at 4800 and when I went down to the RJ60 its showing a high salt waring and salinity of 4500.
Looking for advice on whether I should drain ~6K gallons and refill.

A drain and refill is pretty much the only way to get the salinity down. I see you are in ND... if you don't get significant rain this time of year the only option is your own water....

Not to rub it in but I add my salt in halves and then test the salinity in between so I can creep up on the target salinity. So if your calcs tell you add 17 bags, put in 8 or 9 and then wait for it all to dissolve, test and recalculate. Doing this I realized the dreaded pool store completely over estimated the size of my pool. good luck.

A drain and refill is pretty much the only way to get the salinity down. I see you are in ND... if you don't get significant rain this time of year the only option is your own water....

Not to rub it in but I add my salt in halves and then test the salinity in between so I can creep up on the target salinity. So if your calcs tell you add 17 bags, put in 8 or 9 and then wait for it all to dissolve, test and recalculate. Doing this I realized the dreaded pool store completely over estimated the size of my pool. good luck.

Adding salt to the wound, huh?...just kidding. Couldn't help the dad joke.

I actually did add it in halves using the Aquacheck strips. They are 1000 PPM off the Taylor kit using the same water sample. Ive seen other posts where they are right on. Lesson for me is to wait for the right stuff first. If I had used the Taylor even at the halfway point I could have corrected.

There should be a name for this phenomenon of rushed home project decisions during quarantine;)

I'll test again before I start the drain/refill.

Adding salt to the wound, huh?...just kidding. Couldn't help the dad joke.

I actually did add it in halves using the Aquacheck strips. They are 1000 PPM off the Taylor kit using the same water sample. Ive seen other posts where they are right on. Lesson for me is to wait for the right stuff first. If I had used the Taylor even at the halfway point I could have corrected.

There should be a name for this phenomenon of rushed home project decisions during quarantine;)

I'll test again before I start the drain/refill.
That is a GREAT dad joke.. I am usually accused of that in my house... followed by moans and boos from my kids... heh.. heh!

There is a name for it, Its... "I'm so danged bored, I want to do SOMETHING!"

Hey, overshot mine the first time too... I was so excited to be firing up my SWG the first time... Luckily I caught it when I was at the high side of the range and before dumping in another bag.

Still trying to figure out how it happened. My pool is 25,515 gallons. I added 714 lbs salt with the assumption that my baseline was 200. Actually chose 200 so I wouldn't overshoot.
According to poolmath, in order to get to 4800 with 714lbs my baseline would have had to have been 1450 which seems odd for a non-SWG pool. I know that there can be some baseline from chemicals but our city water is actually pretty hard around here as well.

Still trying to figure out how it happened. My pool is 25,515 gallons. I added 714 lbs salt with the assumption that my baseline was 200. Actually chose 200 so I wouldn't overshoot.
According to poolmath, in order to get to 4800 with 714lbs my baseline would have had to have been 1450 which seems odd for a non-SWG pool. I know that there can be some baseline from chemicals but our city water is actually pretty hard around here as well.

Chlorine and some of the other chemicals we use also add salt to the pool. Each gallon of 10% bleach would add more than 6PPM of salt to your 25,515 gallons of water. It doesn’t seem like much, but like CYA salt isn’t lost to evaporation, so it can build up. If the water is several years old it’s certainly conceivable that your salt level could have gotten up to 1450 or more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine and some of the other chemicals we use also add salt to the pool. Each gallon of 10% bleach would add more than 6PPM of salt to your 25,515 gallons of water. It doesn’t seem like much, but like CYA salt isn’t lost to evaporation, so it can build up. If the water is several years old it’s certainly conceivable that your salt level could have gotten up to 1450 or more.
Good point. I didn’t realize the salt content of the bleach.
Last year the pool was drained and refilled for some plaster work. Rechlorinated with liquid chlorine and maintained with pucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.