Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Greetings all.
We are in the planning phase and almost ready to break ground on our new (and our first) pool.

I am no stranger to forums as I frequent them for my saltwater aquarium hobby, so I figured I would hunt around for an active pool forum and stumbled upon TFP. I have found alot of useful information that I think will make more sense when the pool is complete.
If I can figure out how to post photos from my mobile device, I will post my mockup of the pool that I drew up with the demo version of “Pool Studio” 3d software.

Thanks for keeping an active pool forum full of information for us to read!!

I wanted to post a few more pics but had to get some rest for work today.

Pool is approximately 16x32 with an elevated 8x9 spa. We wanted the edges facing the pool and the patio zero edge (so as to break up all the natural stone look we have outside). Shallow area 8x10 for some water lounge chairs with wall and 8ft sheer and bubbler.
Opposite spa pool entrance flanked by 2 columns that overflow into pool via bubblers.
Looks like its going to be Pentair equipment with variable speed pump for pool circulation (with ability to divert to just spa) and separate pump for water features. Intellicenter for control and heat pump to heat spa in winter (mild Miami winter)

Been a bit busy at work
I have a few more screenshots I took with my phone after drawing up our design.

Any criticism or advice appreciated
BEC2A45F-81DD-4672-911B-021FD10562A4.jpeg4CB58A14-5A61-40BA-8B2B-9BF604C615DE.jpegA7C44BD6-E0A0-4F5D-96F0-6435BFA8BAA8.jpeg

That's quite the pool! I like the pentair equipment. If you get all three (filter, salt cell and pump) you will get a longer warranty with pentair. If the salt cell fails, I believe pinch a penny are the go to pool store for pentair warranty. I've had them do same day replacement on a couple of failed cells.

I suppose when I look at pools now, I look at them from a cleaning perspective. If you're not doing it yourselves (and I would encourage you to take care of it), you may have difficulty in finding someone that will spend the time needed to do a proper job on that one. However, I would gladly lie on one of those loungers and watch a pool robot work it's way around the pool!

I'm not sure about the raised fire bowls. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on them. I'm thinking there may actually be some heat from them that will keep you warm in chilly miami when the temperatures plunge into the low 70s in the evenings.

I hope you keep the thread going with pictures of the ground breaking and continuing right up to opening as many others have done on here.

Moore887 we started by looking at the pentair heater and decided to keep it all the same for the warranty just as you mentioned. I will initially attempt to maintain my own pool. I do a fairly good job of keeping our reef aquarium. I work a 24hr on 48hr off schedule which should allow me plenty of time to do so. What could I add or change to make maintenance easier?

The PB is installing a cartridge filter with 4 inserts which I had not seen before but after asking a friend who recently built a pool apparently is not uncommon. I have to balance my wife’s desires with our budget, although I am trying to get as much added as we can that would not be practical later such as lights, water features built into the pool, or jets/returns

You have a lot of water features(waterfall, magicstreams, bubblers, raised spa) this will drive up the ph. So i would suggest getting the intelliPH so it can make acid additions automated. I prefer a sand filter over cartridges and in florida you get some rain that will help with backwashes.

Im not too familiar with sand filters, most everyone I know with a pool down here uses cartridge. Not sure why that is though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did some reading and ran into some info that says salt pool owners sometimes have trouble with backwashing sand filters because or the salinity of the pool water.
The cartridge filter sounds like it can filter out smaller micron size particles.

We own a Labrador who will likely end up in the pool. Im wondering if we can use some sort of skimmer sock to help filter out the dog hair.

SO pretty!!!

Dog hair=hair nets. Amazon.com: 100 PCS--21", Disposable Bouffant (Hair Net) Caps, Spun-Bounded Poly, Hair Head Cover Net, Non-Woven, Medical, Labs, Nurse, Tattoo, Food Service, Health, Hospital: Gateway These work GREAT!!

I would lose the deck jets. They are fickle and more of a party toy than any thing. I would also lose the bubble on the lounger shelf. No one will want to sit there with a bubbler going.

What is the why for the squares by the spa? Are they to sit on or for looks? Want to know your thinking before I day anything else.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the link Kim
My wife saw a friends pool with the lighted laminar deck jets and said she liked them. What makes them fickle? They dont work correctly? Or break often?

The steps by the spa are mostly for looks but act as a walkway to the area where the gazebo will be later. I really liked the photos I have seen of pools with floating steps, and this was the most logical place. (It will be the atraightest path from the outdoor terrace) Thats the best I could draw on the software without much practice.

The PB will install a separate valve for the bubbler at the benches to shut it off or regulate the flow. He also drew up an insert for an umbrella but I am not sure how that would look with the sheer wall behind it. I guess it doesnt hurt to have it and not use it. I thought it would be nice to have it there as it adds a light source for that shallow area.

After reading through other recommendations here, i verified that the PB was upsizing the swg cell. I think the plans should be completed tomorrow so will probably have more details.

I appreciate the feedback.

Deck jets HAVE the have their water flow coming right from the filter as any kind of dirt or debris can clog them as they are very small.

Ok I like your thinking on the steps then! Just know you are going to have to make sure to brush there often.........wait........now if your PB can put a return on one side to push anything off the small area behind the steps that might help keep that area clean. You will want to make sure to get one of the small, round brushes for that area.

Make sure you can turn on the light without the bubbler being on. Some of the PB forget to have that done.

Will definitely check on the light thing. I would surely like to illuminate that area without the bubbler flowing. I saw some pentair microlights but thought it might be too much light.

I will ask about the return by the steps. The spa has 2 zero edge overflows on the back side of the steps. Wouldnt that water flow past the floating steps and help keep it clean?

What do folks like as far as pool finish? We arent there yet, but I want to start to read up on it.

Our pool water features will be on a separate pump. I wonder if I need some type of inline strainer on there for those laminar deck jets to stay clean.

With the spa being an overflow there you are good to go with that. That should push everything off. SWEET!

Here is a thread with different plaster colors and kinds. Pool Finish and Color Viewing Room...TFP Member Sound Off

Here is a set of links to help you get the best plaster job no matter the color or kind:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

It is NEVER too late to start thinking about something this important! It gives you time to learn! Happy reading!

Zaf,

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the upcoming pool!

As you've already discovered, this forum is loaded with experts in pool design and you're already getting a lot of great input so you can make the best decisions for you with experience-based input. Where are you in the PB selection process? Decisions about the specifications for the pool are sort of the fun part of the project at this stage and people often overlook best practices around sourcing the PB such as pre-qualifying, bidding, selection, and contracting. This can have bad consequences.

Chris

looks really nice, I love it, very modern... My only suggestion is to remove those stepping stones that divide pool and spa, specially if you have kids... They seem like a huge tripping hazard to me, you dont want anyone breaking their ankle there if they miss the steps and fall... just my 2 cents!

Looks like "pimp-my-pool" designed it - I think you have covered all the possible options! :)

I'd tone it down a bit - nice design though:

1. Make the spa edge slope less (if any of your drunk friends step on the spa edge, they slip and fall -> lawsuit).
2. Think about cleaning / brushing the pool...that water wall will go white at some point, gonna have fun cleaning / maintaining it.
3. What about the PH rise from all those water features.
4. …..

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.