Our first pool, ready to sign contract. Phx AZ

MotoB

Dec 19, 2020
Phoenix AZ
Pool Size
Hello,
Been reading a lot on TFP, finally get to do more than introduce myself. Can you see anything we might be missing?
And thank you for all the great info this site have to share.

We went through several design changes. Think we are ready to sign contract.

Pool Perimeter: 96 l.f.
Pool Surface Area: 423 s.f.
Pool size (Max): 26.5x21 envelope
Pool Gallons (Approx): 14276.25
Pool Depths: 3.5x4.5x5.5
Pool Internal Area: 855 s.f.
WetEdge - Signature Matrix "Mini Pebble" - Tahoe * *

Spa Size (Max): 9x5
Spa Perimeter: 28
Spa Gallons (Approx): 843.75
12" Raised Spa w/ spa & spillway waterproofing (CPSP by Aquron)
Therapy Jets - Premium Pressure Jets. (up to 5 included w/ spa)

Pentair - Intelliflo w/ built in controller *3 year warranty
2HP Whisperflo Spa Booster Pump
Pentair - 420s.f. Cartridge Filter
Pentair - 400K BTU Heater 1 HP - Silencer Air Blower
IC40 Salt System
Pentair - Intellicenter i5PS w/ 100A Load Center, w/ 5 relay
Add CVA Valve (Remote Automated Valve) *for waterfeature
Add 1" Electrical Run - 100 AMP -
My work shop will be tied into this sub panel.
2- MicroBrite -COLOR. Pool
1- MicroBrite -COLOR. Spa

6" Raised Bond Beam w/ Natural LedgeStone
18" Raised Bond Beam w/ Tile
24" Raised Bond Beam w/ Tile

16"x16" (24" Tall) Block Column w/ std. stone (includes 1.25" Travertine)
Coping - 1.5" Travertine (Standard Square Edge - 16" wide)
Travertine Pavers (6" border or equiv.) lock-in edges/mortar set
Travertine Pavers (3-pc mini-versailles w/ random set pattern - 6x6, 6x12, 12x12)
24" Copper - Trough Scupper
I know, but the wife really loves that look.

Attachments

• Final 2.jpg
    Final 2.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Final 3.jpg
    Final 3.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Final 4.jpg
    Final 4.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Final colors.jpg
    Final colors.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Final 1.jpg
    Final 1.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Final plants 1.jpg
    Final plants 1.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Nikilyn
Nice design and layout.
Will your equipment pad be behind the BBQ area? Ensure you have a light above your equipment pad.
Are you running your water features off the main pool pump? Just ensure with the PB that you have sufficient flow capability. Think through what you will run at the same time and have the PB confirm that suction and return pipes are adequately sized along with the pump output to meet your requirements.
It is hard to see in graphics the position of your skimmers. Suggest you have 2 of those and plumb each independently back to the equipment pad. Ensure your lights on on wall nearer the house and point away from the house.
I have similar size pool and also have Wet Edge and really like it. Enjoy.

Thanks Herman
In the drawing the equipment is top center away from the house next to my future work shop. That is why I am having the PB run 100 amp service.
The pool lights will be one on each side of the Baja deck, so not pointing away but parallel. The only windows in that area are master bath so should be ok.
The spa booster will be for the spa and overflow. The VS I’m told will have the gpm for the features. I was concerned also with 2 big fountains.

Reactions: HermanTX
Question.
The Spa booster pump is a 2HP Whisperflo Spa Booster Pump
Main pump is a Pentair - Intelliflo VSF w/ built in controller
Contract price difference is $50.
Would it be wise to just make the Booster pump the same VSF pump?
Is the Whisperflo a high lift high flow pump?
Energy saving on the VSF and having an identical pump for emergency may be preferable.

Thanks
MotoB

I can understand why the PB is putting a single speed WhisperFlo to power your special spa jets. If you use a VS you will most likely need to run it at high speed to get the effect you want. Maybe @ajw22 or @JamesW can provide some input on your 2 pumps and requirements for water features, jets and pool circulation. If you have specific model numbers from the PB that will help.

Reactions: MotoB
You can use an IntelliFlo VSF pump in place of the Whisperflo spa pump for the jets.

In the United States, variable speed (VS) motors will be required for all pumps over 1.1 total HP as of July 18, 2021 So that Whisperflo will be obsolete and not easily repairable.

Reactions: MotoB and HermanTX
71CF2621-5A11-4323-9B1B-E98076A188F6.jpeg87E6C2B9-5274-4830-B623-DB519ECCA5B7.jpegCFBF9B19-E0AD-4407-B16E-BCEE00B58A46.jpeg513805B6-5470-41E2-8213-86812D4E00CC.jpegCC075F9E-3C7E-43FF-8823-46D83F7DB560.png81E37232-2230-47DD-829C-5FC1640CF70C.jpeg

FINALLY!! Final plans and drawings. Had to move pool closer to house due to 15’ easement from back wall.
Still need permit for gas line. Left of the equipment will be my 12’x 16’ work shop.
I have 2 big ( 100 lb plus ) dogs and we are debating on artificial grass or real. We live in Phoenix AZ so it gets hot.
I am having the plumbers add Tru- Union ball valves and a 3/4” tee tap I will supply I’m a Pipefitter by trade. I have already driven the engineer crazy with questions. 😆
Should the SWG be before the spa branch?
please point out anything I should check on as these are the final red line drawings.

Thanks all.

That PB did an awesome job on our pool (recognized font/logo)!!! I also LOVE our artificial grass (7 dogs -- 1 sheepdog and a herd of yorkies) and don't feel it is hot at all and zero to little maintenance besides some dawn/baking soda wash every once in a while is worth it... but I don't walk barefoot anywhere except in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should the SWG be before the spa branch?
please point out anything I should check on as these are the final red line drawings.
Yes it would be best to have SWCG before branch to SPA. Also, it may be just the drawing, but seems that the SWCG should be on the straight path of the pipe and the by-pass should be on the "U" part of the path. Basically just swap where the SWCG and the bypass valve are located now.

One other item - the main drain and skimmers are on a single line per the drawing. As a minimum the main drain should be separate from the skimmers (with a valve between them) and ideally you would have 3 suction lines from the pool - the main drain, and 2 skimmer lines as all independent lines with valves to control each. They would tee in as shown.

There is no reason for a bypass of the SWCG. If you want to be able to keep the pump running with the SWCG removed, get the dummy cell to put in its place.

M,

I think it is a big mistake to have your skimmer and main drain plumbed into one line.. That is how they did it in 1960... You need the skimmer and the main drain to be plumbed back to individual Jandy valves at the equipment. I would also have two skimmers...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks All
I have noted the points to my PB.
They said the bypass for the SWG can be reversed or removed.
I also pointed out the skimmer and main drain on a single line. They wanted a change order to split them. I told them not a change order, just do it properly and split them.
Worse case I will remove the vacuum line and use that for skimmer.

I also pointed out the skimmer and main drain on a single line. They wanted a change order to split them. I told them not a change order, just do it properly and split them.
Worse case I will remove the vacuum line and use that for skimmer.
You are spending a lot of money on the overall pool. Some PVC pipe and valves shouldn't be that much but I agree the PB should do it right. It appears he was cutting costs to be competitive and it is a less then optimal flow system. Good luck on the negotiation.

So I’m going to cross post from a response on another thread.

We signed contract in February. The PB broke ground in April. We have plumbing, equipment and conduit ran. Rebar laid. Now we have an open hole since April and the PB is telling us September before shotcrete. We also got hit with at $3600 estimate for cave in due to weather.
Original shotcrete was scheduled for July before summer storms, but the PB could not pass pre-gunite inspection.
Plumbing would not hold pressure. 3- way valves not partially open to equalize and fill entire system. Deep end bench was half the size it was drawn. Step in Baja not correct size. No rebar reinforcements on steps. Thankfully our Inspector listened when I pointed these out and did not pass. PB not happy I spoke with Inspector and basically said as much in an email.
We are now in disagreement over who is responsible for the storm cave ins as they are claiming soil conditions in the contract.
MotoB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.