Order bulk chlorine online?

Apr 23, 2017
Las Vegas
I recently ordered a 50lb tub of 70% Calcium Hypochlorite from Amazon, thinking it would save me trips to the store to get liquid bleach (I had been using generic unscented bleach from the grocery store). However, the stuff seems to leave a brown dirt/silt in the bottom of my pool, and doesn't seem to be raising my chlorine levels as much as the generic liquid bleach.

The stuff (granules) seem to dissolve ok in a bucket of water, although it's very cloudy. The silt only appears several hours after adding it to the pool (pump running). I think it may have trouble working/fully dissolving due to my insane high calcium hardness (500+, hard water here in Vegas)?

Anyway, are there any places to get bulk chlorine (besides Calcium Hypochlorite) online?

Thanks

*for example, looks like leslies has " 99% sodium dichloro-s- triazinetrione blend " 40lb bucket for 170 bucks. Think that would work better than the calcium stuff? I wonder if there is a cheaper/generic brand though?

Last edited:
If your fill water is 500+ CH, you definitely don’t want to be using cal-hypo. The calcium will accumulate in the water as it is, and it will get worse as you add more water due to evaporation. (The calcium stays in the pool when the water evaporates, and then adding more of your water will add more calcium). Adding additional calcium via the cal hypo will make this even considerably worse and eventually likely result in scaling, cloudy water, and possibly other problems.

The Dichlor wouldnt add calcium, but would add basically as much CYA as it does chlorine. Over time your CYA would build up, and necessitate a drain to maintain chlorine effectiveness. So also not a good option.

You will want to use liquid chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator in your area. Hopefully others will chime in with the best place to buy liquid chlorine in your neck of the woods.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

My CYA is already super low, would raising it a bit be the worst thing?

I found this on walmart...

seems like a good deal... can I really not use Dichlor? *again, just looking for a cost effective way to order something online/bulk
What’s your CYA today? Do you have a full set of test results?

By the time you’ve emptied that 50lb bucket of Dichlor, you’ll have added 222ppm of CYA. Your goal should be somewhere closer to 40. Once you add in the cost of drain and refilling 5 times to deal with the excess CYA, the “great deal” goes out the window, unfortunately.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My local Walmart had 10% pool chlorine bleach in stock it was 3.98 a gallon. My local pool store sells the higher % larger bottles of liquid chlorine. Have you looked for HASA Sani-clor? It’s a higher concentration so you use less of it and you can get a 4 pack of it.

Why HASA Sani-Clor? | HASA Pool I emailed them and they gave me a list of places near me I could get it.

CYA is currently around 25. It also looks like they sell "CYA reducers"...

Which seems a lot easier than "Calcium reducers" (only option seems to be drain and refill).

Really tempted to order this bucket of Dichlor...

*also doesn't CYA naturally lower (slowly) over time/exposure to sun?
If you search the forum, you’ll find that others have tried the CYA reducers. They’re expensive and they don’t work.

You will get some CYA degradation from the sun, but not nearly what the Dichlor is going to add. It will accumulate, and everything will seem fine until the day it’s not. And then it will be time to drain.

At the end of the day, it’s your pool, and you’re welcome to care for it how you see fit. I don’t think anyone here is going to tell you the dichlor (or cal hypo, or trichlor) is a good idea for your situation. But, as I like to say in life, “you do you”. :)

I found some liquid chlorine at lowes (8 bucks for two gallons)...

Still seems a bit expensive though (and they dont deliver)...

Just curious, how much should my CYA drop over time? Here in Vegas its obviously very sunny and I need to add water to the pool quite often due to the evaporation.

Is there ever a scenario where liquid chlorine + periodic dichlor (just enough to maintain CYA) is the best/most economical solution?

I recently ordered a 50lb tub of 70% Calcium Hypochlorite from Amazon, thinking it would save me trips to the store to get liquid bleach (I had been using generic unscented bleach from the grocery store). However, the stuff seems to leave a brown dirt/silt in the bottom of my pool, and doesn't seem to be raising my chlorine levels as much as the generic liquid bleach.

The stuff (granules) seem to dissolve ok in a bucket of water, although it's very cloudy. The silt only appears several hours after adding it to the pool (pump running). I think it may have trouble working/fully dissolving due to my insane high calcium hardness (500+, hard water here in Vegas)?

Anyway, are there any places to get bulk chlorine (besides Calcium Hypochlorite) online?

Thanks

*for example, looks like leslies has " 99% sodium dichloro-s- triazinetrione blend " 40lb bucket for 170 bucks. Think that would work better than the calcium stuff? I wonder if there is a cheaper/generic brand though?

I have bought intheswim brand from amazon and had pretty good luck but it wasn't calcium based. My issue was you have to sign for it and the last bucket came early and got sent back to the Fed Ex office 20 miles away and they said they wouldn't redeliver.
HomeDepot has 3 gallons of liquid fo $10 and it you buy 4 or more it's $9..I believe they will deliver for $8.99..Before moving the a SWG I was going to order 8 cases and have it delivered.

Where you are located I would like to recommend going to a Salt Water Generator... After 3 years you will have free chlorine coming from your SWG... All chlorine will cost the same after 3 to 4 years but with a SWG you do not have to order anything online nor get it delivered on a weekly or monthly basis :)

You may have to drain some of your water to get your CH down

A 30k to 40 SWG would work great for your pool and you would only need to run your pump 5 to 9 hours a day...

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just curious, how much should my CYA drop over time? Here in Vegas its obviously very sunny and I need to add water to the pool quite often due to the evaporation.

Is there ever a scenario where liquid chlorine + periodic dichlor (just enough to maintain CYA) is the best/most economical solution?

Evaporation leaves the CYA back in the water. There is a bit of decay by UV, but the main CYA reduction is via dilution, i.e. replacing water lost by backwashing and rain-overflow.

If you don't like schlepping in bleach (which I can understand, I wouldn't like it either...), then your best option is going SWG.

Reactions: markayash
Ok thanks I'm not sure how much longer we'll be staying here, so not sure if a thousand dollar investment would be worth it, but I'll definitely consider it. Does that one part + install cover everything? What are the monthly chemical costs? I assume I need to buy salt (and still buy a small amount of liquid bleach)?

In the meantime I did order a smaller tub of dichlor because I just tested our CYA again and it's lower than I thought (below 10), so the plan is to slowly use dichlor + liquid bleach (next time I get to the store) and monitor the CYA closely. Honestly I will likely need to drain the pool here shortly to lower the calcium, so even if the CYA spikes it won't be the end of the world.

Any good recommendations for more links/info on SWG?

For SWG try Saltwater Swimming Pool Systems & Supplies | Discount Salt Pool
Lot of people on here have the Circupool..I have the Edge40
For your pool you would want a 35 to 40K size
Also prices are higher now due to demand, mine was $840 in Feb and now around $1150

Once you add salt and get your levels right your set..If you follow the recommend levels here you may never buy Chlorine again :)
My PH drifts up some so I add a little bit of acid every week.. I don't measure just pour about a cup into the pool :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.