Optimal pump/filter option

Nov 4, 2017
Ma
22k vinyl pool, in-line SWG, 1.5” plumbing, located in MA and replacing my 3/4 single speed pump and sand filter filter this spring. I have a main drain and skimmer with two return jets. No heater.

I’ve narrowed down my pump/filter options to 2 and am looking to optimize. Budget difference is not important to me, but I’m interested in minimizing operating costs and in-season maintenance.

Option 1
- 1.65hp Hayward MaxFlo VS pump with Hayward 425sqft quad cartridge filter
- this would utilize my existing 1.5” plumbing. Though I would need to expand to the 2” union on the filter

option 2
- same filter as above, but upgrade to the 1.85hp Hayward Tri-star VS pump
- I would need to upgrade my above ground plumbing to 2” but I think this would allow for greater flow rates and allow the larger HP pump to run at lower RPMS for circulation and still hitting the Flow I need for the SWG while still allowing me to crank it to clean. My thinking is that the pump/filter running 2” pipes would allow me to maximize flow rate on each intake/return 1.5” pipe rather than reducing down to the single 1.5” pipes I have today.

I’m leaning towards option 2 but would like some confirmation I’m thinking about things correctly.

I like the Tristar pump better then the Maxflo.

2” plumbing is nice to have but with a VS pump you should be running it at low flow rates. You will not see an operational difference between your 1.5” or 2” piping.

I like the Tristar pump better then the Maxflo.

2” plumbing is nice to have but with a VS pump you should be running it at low flow rates. You will not see an operational difference between your 1.5” or 2” piping.

thanks, I believe the Tristar and swim clear filter is 2” only. I don’t quite understand how there can’t be a difference in flow rates. If my system has 1.5” throughout, the max flow rate is limited by the single 1.5” pipe to my pump and then through my filter. Wouldn’t each individual 1.5” pipe have flow rate limited to ~1/2 their capacity?

if I upgrade to 2” above ground, the system has two parallel 1.5 pipes consolidating into one 2”. So I would think I’d be able to run each 1.5” pipe closer to their max. Or am I overthinking?

Why are you focused on high flow rates?

With your simple pool, a SWG, no heater or water features you should plan on running your VS pump at a low flow of around 1500 RPM. You just need enough flow for your SWG flow switch and for effective skimming.

Yes you are over thinking. If your question was about changing all the pipe then flow rates can be debated but if it's only uping it at the equipment pad then there's no debate as there's no difference. What AJ is saying is to take advantage of the vs pump and reduce the rpm thereby it'll be more efficient to run.

Why are you focused on high flow rates?

With your simple pool, a SWG, no heater or water features you should plan on running your VS pump at a low flow of around 1500 RPM. You just need enough flow for your SWG flow switch and for effective skimming.

only because I think the 2” upgrade would let me run the VSP at an even lower RPM for a given flow rate

only because I think the 2” upgrade would let me run the VSP at an even lower RPM for a given flow rate

If it makes you feel better then do it. You will not see a difference.

I run mine at 800 rpm 24/7 and I have 2 psi reading, it only goes up to 3.5 psi when I run my SWG at 1600 rpm for 2 to 6 hours :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.