Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
You definitely want a 2-speed. Keeping a single speed as a back up may be nice, but it's a bit of money just sitting. But if the package deal works out better it may be a good buy. If you focus on just a single-cart filter for your 8K size pool, you have several shopping options. Yes, the Doherty would probably work, although I'm not a fan of those flex hoses. I suppose you could always change those later if you wanted. But continue to shop around because you could also get a Hayward single-cart C1200 for about $530 which is about the same cost as the Doherty. I have the C1200 and no personal experience with the Doherty, so just be sure to compare these or any other products really well. Finally, there are some VSPs on the market that are much cheaper than the big name, high output models. The Calimar models have been gaining more popularity.

I thought I read that it was not a bad idea to have a spare pump. I figured this was a fairly inexpensive way to achieve that :).

But I'll try calling up Dohenys and see if they will sell me a base plate so I can get the exact filter setup I want. I'll also take a look at the other suggested options.

Thanks for your help! I've got lots of questions and I'm sure I'll have many more, it's really nice to have a resource like this forum available. Invaluable!

Dohenys told me to buzz off. What they have on the web site is the best they can do.

So my options are to pay 70 or 80 bucks the the plastic base plate, get the cartridge filter & pump separately, and then I probably will have paid more than buying the system, tossing the original motor, and getting the 2-speed instead. Ha!

Pentair and Hayward both sell filter/pump systems with 1.5hp 2-speed pumps, but only if you pay full retail through one of their approved installers. So it'll be twice as much anyway. Sigh. Makes me want to avoid those brands like the plague and not reward such consumer-hostile behavior. Hayward was already fairly low on my list because it seems like they don't warranty their stuff if you DIY it.

Reactions: synapsid
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.