Opening test results

EngineeredPool

Jun 5, 2019
East Lyme, CT
Husband and I opened the pool ourselves today for the first time!! Figured out everything and it all seems to be running smoothly (swg off for SLAM). It was a little green but after some bleach and a brush it's already not looking too bad. Eating up the FC though!

Here are my test results before SLAM, wanting to make sure I had a good plan of attach
FC- 0 (adding bleach to maintain 16 now in SLAM)
CC - 0 (good, no action)
pH - 7.2 (good, no action)
TA - 20 (leave it for now? Is this low of TA okay? Will be retesting after SLAM)
CH - 50 (leave, no action since vinyl liner pool)
CYA - 0 (in process of adding to get to 30, will add more after SLAM to get to 60-70. is it usual to have no CYA after winter?)
SALT - 1000 (leave until after SLAM then add to right levels before turning on swg)

Anything off with my plans? Funny how much you can forget over winter, haha. Thanks all!!

I would suggest you add 30-40 ppm worth of baking soda. Get that circulated in and test pH and TA again. A TA of 20 can crash your pH pretty quick.

Otherwise, you got it figured out.

Reactions: EngineeredPool
Can SLAM affect TA levels?? I just ran some tests for FC to add more bleach but also took another TA reading and it was up to 50! Wondering if it's a false read since I am in SLAM, if it could have gone up that much in a day (I haven't hunted down the baking soda to add yet), or if maybe I bungled the first test?? Any of those things likely to be the main cause of the difference (TA 20 yesterday, TA 50 today). Thanks!

Can SLAM affect TA levels?? I just ran some tests for FC to add more bleach but also took another TA reading and it was up to 50! Wondering if it's a false read since I am in SLAM, if it could have gone up that much in a day (I haven't hunted down the baking soda to add yet), or if maybe I bungled the first test?? Any of those things likely to be the main cause of the difference (TA 20 yesterday, TA 50 today). Thanks!
Probably operator error. But be aware that high FC can turn the TA test from green>pink to blue>yellow. Or any shade in between. The color shift is important, not the actual shade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.