Twin Cities MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Like so many, I need something to do and thought I'd try opening the pool myself this year. I'm not so much in a rush to get in the pool, more to just get the water cleaned up (it's not bad at all mainly leaves and worms) and ready for action when it gets warm enough.

I just want to be sure I don't mess it up (if that's possible). I've removed the tarp cover that I had, added water to the center of the skimmers, and I closed the automatic cover. Step 1 done! Then I removed the Gizzmos from each skimmer. Stopped at that point. Here's my best guess on next steps:
  1. Replace SWCG (has a winter blank replacement tube).
  2. Replace the two pump plugs and the cartridge filter plug. (touch up o-rings with silicone)
  3. Remove the covers/plugs from the four returns and replace with the regular return jet covers/holes.
  4. Open four valves that go to the returns.
  5. Open two of the three valves that come from the two skimmers and the drains. There are three valves, but one was left open apparently last fall by the person who closed the pool.
  6. Prime the pump and fire it up. (what is the best way to do this to get the flow going?)
  7. After the pool has circulated for a while, test the water and start balancing.
    1. TA (this is a tough one - always have had high TA)
    2. pH
    3. Chlorine
    4. CYA
    5. Ca (seems to always be fine)
    6. Salt
  8. Start the SWCG once balanced and the water temp is high enough.
Does this look good? Thanks!

Read this and see if you missed anything...

The pump should be self priming if you don;t have air leaks in your suction system.

Do a full set of test first.

Then start lowering pH. Whatever your TA is it does not matter. But you need a good value for the PoolMath calculation on acid to lower pH.

Then pour at least 5 ppm of liquid chlorine in your water. Test that your water is holding a FC level.

Then add stabilizer by the sock method. It will take 24 - 48 hours for it to dissolve and mix in the water.

What is your water temperature? Let any CYA tests warm up to 70 degrees before mixing. And you can wait on salt since your water temperature is likely below 60 right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ya-Man
Water temp is probably still in the 50s. I'll measure later to check it out for sure. But since air temp has pretty much been at 50-60 I can't imagine it being much higher than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.