Opening pool, 18 days into SLAM, considering but nervous about adding DE

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been in SLAM mode since the end of Spring Break. I wasted a few days because my CYA was low. Now that I have that under control I am still dealing with cloudy water. I was thinking about adding DE to my filter but I have never done that before. I read the directions on TFP. But a post on Amazon about using DE in a sand filter made me nervous. Also, I really don't want to buy that huge expensive bag in the pool store so I would like some recommendations. I posted pics of DE I was considering.

My test results this afternoon
FC 15 (added chlorine to raise to 18)
CC 2
CYA 50

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190402-173841_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190402-173841_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20190402-173918_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190402-173918_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 5
Nothing to be nervous about. You need to be able to babysit the filter when you do it. Add a 1/2 cup at a time and stop when you see 1 psi rise. Then check the filter every 10-15 minutes and backwash when the pressure rises to 20% over clean pressure.

Your SLAM level FC is 20 ppm with a CYA of 50.

Marty is so right! It is no big deal so long as you can babysit it the first few times you add it. Once you know how much YOUR filter likes it will be a breeze to use and your water will clear up even faster!!

Kim:kim:

Nothing to be nervous about. You need to be able to babysit the filter when you do it. Add a 1/2 cup at a time and stop when you see 1 psi rise. Then check the filter every 10-15 minutes and backwash when the pressure rises to 20% over clean pressure.

Your SLAM level FC is 20 ppm with a CYA of 50.

I have noticed that something is going on with the Pool Math App. It has been saying that SLAM is 18 with CYA 50. I went in and cleared everything and now it says to SLAM at 20. So, now another week wasted!

I have noticed that something is going on with the Pool Math App. It has been saying that SLAM is 18 with CYA 50. I went in and cleared everything and now it says to SLAM at 20. So, now another week wasted!
That is odd about the app. I test things on it continually and have not seen that.

No waste. Just takes a bit longer at a lower FC. Start using the 20 ppm FC and things are all good.

Reactions: canjones
Jones,

You should SLAM when the cost of bleach is less than water... I live in the DFW area and can fill my 17K pool for about $50 bucks... If I didn't see a drastic difference in the first couple of days, I would be draining it and starting over...

Jim R.

Jones,

You should SLAM when the cost of bleach is less than water... I live in the DFW area and can fill my 17K pool for about $50 bucks... If I didn't see a drastic difference in the first couple of days, I would be draining it and starting over...

Jim R.
Interesting. I never thought about that. Tell me more. So it's okay for me to drain with a vinyl lining? I would have to use my water hose to siphon.

Jones,

I really do not know much about above ground pools, but assume it was empty when you filled it up the first time... :)

And depending on what is going on you might not need to drain it all.. I went back and looked and your CYA is only 50, so your SLAM should not be this hard.. How sure are you that your CYA is actually 50?

Are you just dumping in chlorine once a day or are you maintaining a shock FC all the time?

@mknauss ... any reason not to drain and start over? Or maybe drain 75%??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No real reason I see for not draining if that is desired. You would need to leave 18 inches or so of water in the pool to keep the liner from shifting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.