Opening my pool and want to do it real nice this time

and now for the chemical balancing. Once that is good- I will be so so so Happy....
We will happily guide you if you're willing to try. From that point on, you'll never wonder what kind of chemical soup you have going on. You'll understand each parameter and what they mean/do.

Get a head start at the Pool Care Basics. Ask away and we will fill in any blanks.
this is HOW she LOOKS at least :)
You did good !!! Enjoy a beverage and whatever is left of the weekend.

Tf-100, TPF Pro, K2006 all work. You get more reagents in the TF one, but I've been using the K2006 since 2008 and have just been buying refills for reagent from TFTestKits.com since. I added a Stirrer in maybe 2011. In 2008, when we first built our pool, I wasn't completely convinced about this method so I thought I'd start with the fewer dollars out of pocket. That way if these ppl were blowing smoke I wouldn't be out as much. Turned out I started with this method and never looked back.
Considering the amount of money the pool store wanted and would have just ruined the pool experiment, the TFP method is money and time saver.

Reactions: monsterman
Hello again guys-- I know I am only testing with strips- But it seems from them that my FC is about 5 ppm and TA is about 120 and pH is about 7.8 and the CYA is STILL off the charts- about 150? INow hear me- my wife is jumping all over me- I know that I was told to drain the pool. But- my pool was a good 8 inches low when I opened it up yesterday. I finally got it all filled up today with a hose filter attached to my hose. Yet my CYA is still high. My wife is yelling at me to NOT drain it again and do this all over again and I am quite inclined to agree. As with everything in life there has to be more than one way to skin a cat.
I have been reading- there are CYA reducers on the market- I truly need to know what to do- it seems that my other numbers might be good- BUT I need to lower that CYA quickly and with less aggravation. My water bill is going to go sky-high if I keep draining and refilling. Please look into your bag of tricks and let me know. As mentioned before- even with the high CYA I dont think I have ever had a problem with algae- so I really need your research and gray area matters to help me here. If I can know this number in half with a reducer- that would be fantastic and I could move on from there.
P.S. It says something about having a pool at 65 degrees Fahrenheit when using a reducer.- I just opened the pool- I do not think it is that temp yet. Please help me with any possible other method that can work besides the draining-- because as mentioned I JUST added like 3000 gallons to the pool- since the level was way below the skimer and jets when opened- so that alone is like a drain and refill.

Based on what I've seen here reducers don't work at all. The only way I know is drain & fill. When I bought this house we had to completely drain as the water was aggressive & sky high cya. I wasn't even going to bother trying to fix their water so I dumped it all. There is a no drain exchange option as well but it still drains technically, you're just adding clean water in same rate as exit.

CYA reducers do not work. Please don't waste your money and add another chemical you don't need. Test strips aren't reliable and they're hard to read accurately even if they were reliable. Pool store testing is designed to drain your wallet and sanity with a never ending rollercoaster of overpriced chemicals that are ultimately bad for your pool.

Monte, you're at the hardest part right now. POP = Pool Owner Patience. Add nothing else to the pool except 1/2 a gallon of liquid chlorine that you got from the hardware store. Add it every morning and then brush the pool a bit. Once your test kit arrives, we'll walk you through exactly what you need to do and what to put in the pool. It really is easy and troublefree.

While you're waiting, it's only two or three days, read Pool School
Read a few of the stories about how we found TFP: No pool store for me!
And spend some time with your lovely bride checking out this thread: How Clear Is TFP Clear?

Pool school, poolmath app, patience and follow the program. Your pool will look like this all the time. No Greenout, no shock, no tabs unless you go on vacation, no metals, no algae. Just brilliantly clean, SAFE water. I promise you, it works. I had no pump or filter for my pool for the entire month of June last year. My pool stayed so clear, you could tell heads or tails on a dime tossed in the 9 foot deep end.

I have been reading- there are CYA reducers on the market
From what I've pieced together, they are enzymes that work in the lab but die quickly in the box so by the time you get them, it's useless powder.

But the good news is that test strips start going bad as soon as you open the bottle, so they're probably way off.

If you had the long winter, and some fill water to lower the CYA.......... and it's still a 150, it just proves how out of control your old methods really were. It's OK. You have us now. It'll never be jacked again.

We'll see what the test kit says and we'll go from there. You have half the forum rooting for you and willing to help.

1. Don't drain any water until you get your test kit.
2. When you get your test kit, let the water sample come to room temp and then test the CYA, along with everything else. Let us know what results are before you even think of draining even a cup of water.

Test strips are very very inaccurate. As mentioned many times, don't do anything to your water other than add 5 ppm of Chlorine every day until you get your test kit. We're talking about a matter of days at this point. I know you want your water perfect now, but we can't help you until you can test with your test kit, not strips. If you were to drain now, it's as likely as not that you would have to add more CYA because your CYA wasn't high, it was low or perfect. And then try explaining THAT to your wife.

Just have a little patience. You trust us enough to buy the test kit. Now, trust us enough to wait a couple of days.

From what I've pieced together, they are enzymes that work in the lab but die quickly in the box so by the time you get them, it's useless powder.

But the good news is that test strips start going bad as soon as you open the bottle, so they're probably way off.

If you had the long winter, and some fill water to lower the CYA.......... and it's still a 150, it just proves how out of control your old methods really were. It's OK. You have us now. It'll never be jacked again.

We'll see what the test kit says and we'll go from there. You have half the forum rooting for you and willing to help.
you guys are getting me emotional- thank you

1. Don't drain any water until you get your test kit.
2. When you get your test kit, let the water sample come to room temp and then test the CYA, along with everything else. Let us know what results are before you even think of draining even a cup of water.

Test strips are very very inaccurate. As mentioned many times, don't do anything to your water other than add 5 ppm of Chlorine every day until you get your test kit. We're talking about a matter of days at this point. I know you want your water perfect now, but we can't help you until you can test with your test kit, not strips. If you were to drain now, it's as likely as not that you would have to add more CYA because your CYA wasn't high, it was low or perfect. And then try explaining THAT to your wife.

Just have a little patience. You trust us enough to buy the test kit. Now, trust us enough to wait a couple of days.
thank you really- but you just added another piece to the puzzle-- after removing the water sample from the water - I need it to come down to room temperature before testing to get a more accurate result?is this written in the directions also?- if not- thank you for that tip.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One last question I am going back to work after the long weekend- so I used to shock with powdered shock after sundown and then run my filter from 11Pm thru till 7 AM. Now my filter is on for the whole day since I just opened the pool. But if I am to add more chlorine every day(64 ounces) and I do it in the morning- doesn't that mean I have to have the filter on ALL day again.. can I turn the filter OFF when going to work tomorrow- and then when adding the chlorine TOMORROW PM then turn it back on again? as I always did--- what is your best advice- is it good to let the filter run ALWAYS???

thank you really- but you just added another piece to the puzzle-- after removing the water sample from the water - I need it to come down to room temperature before testing to get a more accurate result?is this written in the directions also?- if not- thank you for that tip.
The temperature of the sample is important for the CYA test only.

Monte, please do this:

Tuesday morning, turn the pump and filter ON or leave them ON.
Walk all the way around your pool slowly pouring in 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine.
Take your pool brush, put it in the pool on the bottom, walk all the way around the pool twice dragging the brush behind you. Let the brush float where it wants to be, you're just stirring the water.
Wait 10-15 minutes or get a cup of coffee. Now you can turn the pump and filter OFF if you wish.

Tuesday night:
Turn the pump and filter ON.
Walk all the way around your pool slowly pouring in 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine. This will not hurt anything I promise.
Take one lap around the pool with the brush. Let the pump and filter run all night just like you always do.

That will safely get you back on your regular schedule of running the pump at night and leaving it off during the day. We're just replacing your nighttime powdered shock with liquid chlorine. If you have a problem, let us know. We will help you.

Do the exact same thing every night until your test kit arrives. You're doing GREAT!

Last edited:
+1. The chlorine needs 15 mins to mix with good circulation. It's heavier than water and may puddle up on the bottom, so a quick brushing removes that concern.

I dump the whole dose at the running return with a pencil sized stream. Pour it low to the water for less splashing, even easier to do with your setup being waist high to start.

But either way you add it, a quick brushing will get any that didn't mix.

??- Just making sure I understand this-- Kaylee above said to add more tonight and do the brushing also-- But you are saying just turn the filer on and NO more chlorine tonight? But I want to get back on the right schedule of always adding the chlorine at night and turning the filter on thru the night hours. So what exactly should I do TONIGHT?- No chlorine??- because if I do that then another dose of chlorine will not be put in until Wednesday PM.

- Kaylee above said to add more tonight and do the brushing also-- But you are saying just turn the filer on and NO more chlorine tonight? But I want to get back on the right schedule of always adding the chlorine at night and turning the filter on thru the night hours.
Ok, GREAT. Pre dose tomorrow mornings add tonight, then you'll be on the nightly schedule going forward. I was just making sure you weren't planning on dosing twice a day with the full 5 ppm each time.

Sorry if we try to clarify too much. We're just looking out for you. :)

Reactions: Kaylee34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.