Opening my pool and want to do it real nice this time

what is the type of floating chlorine I need to buy- Does anyone know the name of that product.
Calcium hypochlorite tablets.
Unless you guys think it will ok to use the Trichlor tabs- let me know.
No. With each tablet you need a little more chlorine to sanitize at the same level. It gets out of hand quick.
I would like to just use the liquid chlorine whenever needed and use the floating tabs always- but NON stabilized- is this OK?
You will have to monitor your Calcium level but it will work for some time.
I will fill the pool back up tomorrow and when I get home at 6 Pm I will then add the 64 oz of shock - is this correct?
Yes.

sorry sir-- but is using this calcium hypochlorite going to cause another problem down the road- what do I need to look out for or monitor now?

Not sure I mentioned this before but I also have a powdered shock called POWERSHOCK-- superchlorinator plus algicide-- I believe the active ingredient is Calcium Hyopclorite- But a powder-- should I use this every now and then (but it is not a tab- it is a superchlorinator?if you need to see the package- please google it- it has a blue label(made by blue seal)

sorry sir-- but is using this calcium hypochlorite going to cause another problem down the road- what do I need to look out for or monitor now?

Not sure I mentioned this before but I also have a powdered shock called POWERSHOCK-- superchlorinator plus algicide-- I believe the active ingredient is Calcium Hyopclorite- But a powder-- should I use this every now and then (but it is not a tab- it is a superchlorinator?if you need to see the package- please google it- it has a blue label(made by blue seal)
The powdered versions of chlorine are no more “super” than the tablet forms or liquid chlorine if used to increase fc to the same ppm. Shock is a process not a product.
The act of raising your fc to shock level. The sanitation effect will be the same no matter which product you use but they each have different side effects.
Cal hypo products add calcium that doesn’t leave- too much calcium = scale.
Trichlor/dichlor products add cya that doesn’t leave- the more cya you have the more fc you need.
Liquid chlorine doesn’t have these lasting side effects. It adds fc & that’s pretty much it.
Many people here use only liquid chlorine & dose the pool every day or two. Always keeping fc above minimum.
No tabs of any kind.
Why do you feel you need to use tabs for daily chlorination?
Are you away from home alot?

If fc is kept above minimum for your cya at all times there is no need to shock the pool just because.
As unnecessary as your pool friend says your previous shocking ritual was it was probably the only thing keeping your pool from going south because with 150+ cya you almost can’t keep enough fc in the water for it to be sanitary. Minimum fc should have been around 12ppm w/ that cya level.

.... "Min FC" is 7.5% of the CYA level
.... "Target FC" is 11.5% of the CYA level
.... "Yel/Mstrd Min" is 15% of the CYA level
.... "Shock FC" is 40% of the CYA level
.... "Yel/MstrdShock" is 60% of the CYA level.

Reactions: newdude
should I wait till AFTER the pool is filled to add the liquid chlorine- or should I add it when I start filling the pool?
Towards the end, or after. It will be more potent with the pool only 3/4 full.
POWERSHOCK-- superchlorinator plus algicide--
I'm not finding it on Google, but check the ingredients to make sure there's no copper in it. I bet it has it.

*edit. I tried again and found one at Island Rec. It's 'superchlorinator for algae control', not 'plus algecide', if I found the right one. The one I found was just 68% Cal-Hypo. If yours is 'plus algecide', I wouldn't use it.

here is that shock- is this better than that Greenout?
The powdered versions of chlorine are no more “super” than the tablet forms or liquid chlorine if used to increase fc to the same ppm. Shock is a process not a product.
The act of raising your fc to shock level. The sanitation effect will be the same no matter which product you use but they each have different side effects.
Cal hypo products add calcium that doesn’t leave- too much calcium = scale.
Trichlor/dichlor products add cya that doesn’t leave- the more cya you have the more fc you need.
Liquid chlorine doesn’t have these lasting side effects. It adds fc & that’s pretty much it.
Many people here use only liquid chlorine & dose the pool every day or two. Always keeping fc above minimum.
No tabs of any kind.
Why do you feel you need to use tabs for daily chlorination?
Are you away from home alot?

If fc is kept above minimum for your cya at all times there is no need to shock the pool just because.
As unnecessary as your pool friend says your previous shocking ritual was it was probably the only thing keeping your pool from going south because with 150+ cya you almost can’t keep enough fc in the water for it to be sanitary. Minimum fc should have been around 12ppm w/ that cya level.

.... "Min FC" is 7.5% of the CYA level
.... "Target FC" is 11.5% of the CYA level
.... "Yel/Mstrd Min" is 15% of the CYA level
.... "Shock FC" is 40% of the CYA level
.... "Yel/MstrdShock" is 60% of the CYA level.
so basically my shocking the pool with that super chlorinator- GREENOUT- was keeping my head above water since my CYA was so high. I needed to really push that FC up. And no I am not away a lot at all So you are saying- forget the tabs- and just add enough liquid chlorine to keep my FC as good as possible. But let us say after I just drained my pool- 12 inches And let us say that my CYA drops from 150 to 100(who knows) then my FC should be a minimum of 7.5. Is that correct- so if that is done- then I am OK, right? As long as I have enough chlorine to sanitize the pool properly.M might cost more since I would be adding more liquid chlorine- but is only for 3 months - so be it.

Attachments

• powershock_2__09570.jpg
    powershock_2__09570.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 3

I'm not finding it on Google, but check the ingredients to make sure there's no copper in it. I bet it has it.
powershock_2__09570.1552581175.jpg

So you are saying- forget the tabs- and just add enough liquid chlorine to keep my FC as good as possible.
That's the easy way.
let us say that my CYA drops from 150 to 100(who knows) then my FC should be a minimum of 7.5. Is that correct- so if that is done- then I am OK, right?
Yes. You will likely be under 100, (I'm hoping for WELL under 100) and it will be manageable going forward.
As long as I have enough chlorine to sanitize the pool properly.M might cost more since I would be adding more liquid chlorine- but is only for 3 months - so be it.
That's literally it. Long Island is having a pool on easy mode. The TA and PH are usually in check, CH doesn't matter for vinyl pools, the CYA will stay where it is now that you stoped adding more, and all you have to closely monitor is FC.

Your shock is the one I found. It's OK.

I hate to beat a dead horse- BUT the gentleman above stated that what kept my pool from going south due to my CYA being 150- was that I was Super-chlorinating the pool weekly and THUS it KEPT my pool sanitized because my chlorine was so pumped up.? if that is the case and I am sure it was that way for many seasons- what is the difference between having it that way or doing it the TFP way- other than spending money on those Greenout bags every season. Sometimes a case of 24 that I would buy at Island Recreational would last me at least 2 seasons or more- and the cost was about $250 I think or less if on sale- but divide that by 2 -3 seasons- ?? So if my CYA is still high after my partial drain- wouldn't it behoove me to just add more chlorine to counteract that(with a super chlorinator?) and have my pool as it always looks- real clear and nice. ?

*edit. I tried again and found one at Island Rec. It's 'superchlorinator for algae control', not 'plus algecide', if I found the right one. The one I found was just 68% Cal-Hypo. If yours is 'plus algecide', I wouldn't use it.
Not sure-- the POWERSHOCK label on the package says-- Pool water shock treatment for super chlorinating pool water AND control of algae(calcium Hypochlorite- 68% and OTHER ingredients-32%-- Available chlorine 65%
The GREENOUT product says this on its label-Shock treatment and Super chlorinator-designed to be used in pools as a periodic shock treatment in regular maintenance and in 1)Pools with green water due to algae 2)Pools with visible algae on floor and sides and 3)Pools starting up using water from previous season
Ingredients- sodium -dichloro-triazenetrione dihydrate-64% and alkyl-dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 1% and INERT ingredients-35%-- with available chlorine of 35%
Those are the descriptions of the two shock powders I have and I had been using GREENOUT eery week and my pool looked super clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are focusing too much on pucks & powders. What they were trying to say I think is that the problems didn't surface because you were blindly "shocking" weekly but in between those doses there is a high probability your water was unsanitary. Not all yuckies can & will be visible which is why here the method is to be properly sanitized at ALL times as well as protecting people, pool, and equipment.

That's the easy way.

Yes. You will likely be under 100, (I'm hoping for WELL under 100) and it will be manageable going forward.

That's literally it. Long Island is having a pool on easy mode. The TA and PH are usually in check, CH doesn't matter for vinyl pools, the CYA will stay where it is now that you stoped adding more, and all you have to closely monitor is FC.

Your shock is the one I found. It's OK.
Hello Mr. Newdude- so which shock is OK- the Powershock or the Greenout- especially if you read my very last post about how I used GREENOUT and NOT the blue one for as many years as I can remember. and never had any real problems as mentioned and no real hurt to the pocketbook either. I guess what I am trying to say is if I were to do (and hold off on the liquid chlorine)a complete about-face- and use NONstabilized tablets and the Greenout as always since I have 1 full case from last year- wouldn't at the end of the day that be OK as my pool was delicious last year and the years before? i know it is not the TFP way- but it worked- because used the powerful chlorinator while having high CYA levels

Hello Mr. Newdude- so which shock is OK- the Powershock or the Greenout- especially if you read my very last post about how I used GREENOUT and NOT the blue one for as many years as I can remember. and never had any real problems as mentioned and no real hurt to the pocketbook either. I guess what I am trying to say is if I were to do (and hold off on the liquid chlorine)a complete about-face- and use NONstabilized tablets and the Greenout as always since I have 1 full case from last year- wouldn't at the end of the day that be OK as my pool was delicious last year and the years before? i know it is not the TFP way- but it worked- because used the powerful chlorinator while having high CYA levels
You do not want to do that if you want to use the TFP method. Greenout (This is the stuff I assume you mean https://islandrecreational.com/green-out-premium-pool-shock-1-lb-bags-fast-acting-formula/) adds CYA to your water.

It is certainly your pool and you're free to treat it as you see fit. But, our advice is to not use any Greenout until and unless your CYA falls under the, say, 30-40 range. If you do, your CYA will go up and you've done a lot of work to bring it down.

Our recommendation is to chlorinate with liquid chlorine only. A second choice is Calcium Hypochlorite which will add Calcium to your water. That may or may not create problems for you. That will be dependent on your calcium level which you will know when your test kit arrives and you test it.

My recommendation is to sell your Greenout to someone who does not use TFP method. The price is probably around $10/bag this season. Alternatively, keep it until some year when your CYA is too low.

We've told you what we'd do. Your choice on whether or not to do that or something else.

• Love
I will use the liquid chlorine and hope that it works really well for me and my family and that everything else will fall into place.
Please do. We'll get you through it, I promise. Look on the bottom of the page. We have over 1/3 of a million members over 15 years. Do you really think you will be the worst student we ever saw ? Out of that many ? We've gotten rather good at teaching folks, if I do say so myself. ;)

In literally a couple of weeks..... like 2 or 3..... it will be second nature. That's when the TFP takes over and the summer is a breeze.

You do not want to do that if you want to use the TFP method. Greenout (This is the stuff I assume you mean https://islandrecreational.com/green-out-premium-pool-shock-1-lb-bags-fast-acting-formula/) adds CYA to your water.

It is certainly your pool and you're free to treat it as you see fit. But, our advice is to not use any Greenout until and unless your CYA falls under the, say, 30-40 range. If you do, your CYA will go up and you've done a lot of work to bring it down.

Our recommendation is to chlorinate with liquid chlorine only. A second choice is Calcium Hypochlorite which will add Calcium to your water. That may or may not create problems for you. That will be dependent on your calcium level which you will know when your test kit arrives and you test it.

My recommendation is to sell your Greenout to someone who does not use TFP method. The price is probably around $10/bag this season. Alternatively, keep it until some year when your CYA is too low.

We've told you what we'd do. Your choice on whether or not to do that or something else.
Like I said- bottom line I will use liquid chlorine and see what goes on after that. I will try. But just give an idea of what I need to look out for with extra calcium. Like for example- which would be worse- extra calcium in the pool or extra CYA- which is the lesser of the two evils? And if my calcium levels rise(if I ever use the calcium hypochlorite tabs (nonstabilized)_hopefully I won't have to-what would I need to do to lower those calcium levels -is it an easy fix?- NOT like draining my pool, etc which was horrible and time consuming. I will check the answer tomorrow- I need to get to bed for work- but please do reply with this answer for me. I will check in the morning for the reply. Goodnight

to-what would I need to do to lower those calcium levels -is it an easy fix?- NOT like draining my pool,
It's exactly like draining the pool. CYA, calcium or salt (just for possible future knowledge) don't come out quickly without draining.

We REALLY prefer liquid chlorine.

Mr. Newdude
Mr Newdude was my father. I'm just Dude. ;)

so calcium stinks also-
It stinks alot less for you. Your pool is starting with low calcium from never needing it with vinyl, and lots of rain. (4ft on average yearly).

Our fill water has around 50 CH verses the hundreds found elsewhere in the country, so it won't raise on its own.
so the best thing to do is to NEVER use tablets at all? What about when people go away on vacation- what then
Vacation is short term amd won't drastically raise either CYA or CH in a week or two.

But. Here we monitor our levels and know exactly what's going on, so we know what we can add, and what we shouldn't.

The dump and pray method on the other hand is begging for troubles. You've truly been incredibly lucky to have dodged the bullet this long. But no more. You'll know exactly what's going on, and why, and you'll act accordingly. You'll be safe, sanitary and Trouble Free.

You don't even have to understand it at first. Post up your numbers and we'll teach you what they mean, telling you what to do for as long as it takes. In short time, you'll connect the dots and won't need us anymore. At that point, we invite you to hang around for fun, helping to pay it forward with the next batch of confused newbs.

Oooooooooooo. Another thing we need to go over. When the kit comes, the instruction card with 5 tests on it an a whole bunch of numbers is going to look like rocket science. It has intimated most of us.

It could not be easier if you read any last step by itssteps.

Fill vial to 10ml.
Add heaping scoop (rounded) of R0870. Swirl.

Literally that easy. But if you zoom out and glance the whole page, boom. Rocket Science. So brace yourself and have some faith in yourself.

Take whichever test you want to fo, and get the bottles needed ready to go. In order of the steps. Then follow the *simple* stepa.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.