Opening a Green Pool - Same Idea as a Clean Pool?

Sep 9, 2017
Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hi everyone!

Because we had a baby born late last summer, I didn't do my due diligence keeping the pool as clean I should have leading up to closing. I kept the bulk of the leaves out but due to some stragglers and no pool cover, the water looks pretty murky and I'm sure there's some amount of debris on the bottom.

General question -- should I just use the same fundamental approach to getting it clean and open?
My tentative plan:
1. Scoop as much goop as possible. Thus far, my net hasn't brought much up, but I can't see the bottom to be sure.
2. Check CYA levels and adjust accordingly.
3. Check ph and adjust accordingly.
4. Get water circulating (not filtering)
5/6. Add bleach/vac to waste <--Should I wait to add bleach until after I've had a chance to vac?
7. Start SLAMming and balancing.

I have bleach, borax, muratic acid, CYA and hopeful optimism. Anything I'm missing or not considering?

maybe some baking soda "IF" your TA happens to be low. Thought of that because mine was low when I opened last week.

for 5/6 I would not add bleach until you vac the floor to waste. The less organic matter / solids in the pool, the easier
it will be for the bleach to do its job.

Reactions: jasonwbaggett
Thanks, Borjis. I thought that might be the case. I really wanted to get it clear enough to get an idea what I'm vacuuming from the bottom. My vacuum plugs into the skimmer and the only barrier between the gunk and the pump is the pump basket. I'll just be sure to empty it frequently. I should probably invest in vac with a leaf bag or something. Better yet, a pool cover for next year!

Last edited:
I will do it! We moved into this house last year and had to replace the liner. I think back then I promised (but failed) to post pictures of the progress because for some reason had trouble posting pics in the "old" forum. So to atone for my sins and clear my conscience, here's pics from back then!

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: splashpad
.... and the rest!

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 49
I would start dumping a gallon of bleach a day into the water once you have the pump running until you get serious and begin the SLAM Process. Might as well slow or stop the algae growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonwbaggett
Thanks Kim! I married up! I

I promise it's not as bad as it was back then! But it's not great.

I'll start pouring some bleach in there today to put a little dent in it. I actually have to be out of town Monday and Tuesday for work -- so I was planning to start slamming in earnest Tuesday evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sunday update. Spent yesterday getting water flowing again. Fortunately everything seems to have survived winter.
Starting readings:
CYA - 0
FC - 0
CC - 0
Ph - 8.2+
TA - 60

EFA6B8F1-90C2-4FCD-B0E3-A4BC41FF9AB5.jpeg
703BDEE7-004B-45E6-BFCF-AF2BD934B031.jpeg

Added some (maybe too much) muratic acid and 64oz of CYA. CYA is still slowly dissolving in a sock hanging over a return.

Added pantyhose to the skimmer basket.
Added enough 10% bleach to get into shock zone... at its peak the FC was 20. This morning it was down to 13, water went from green to cloudy. Lots of backwashing. Added 256oz of 10% after morning readings. Will check again this early evening. Feels and looks like progress. Thanks for everyone’s help!
86ED44E2-F1E0-491D-8392-7BB9BF526197.jpeg

You really think it looks significantly better? Since Friday evening I’ve added 8 - 128oz jugs. I was all over it yesterday. Still very very cloudy and almost a milky green color. I guess that’s the algae dying? At least it’s not neon green anymore.

In related news I stopped at Leslie’s Pool supplies yesterday to grab CYA (wrongly thought I had some left over). The guy was nice but very intense. Like Lloyd Christmas from Dumb and Dumber. He tried selling me on shock and floc, I resisted. But it was seriously almost as hard a sales pitch as a timeshare!

Reactions: splashpad
Looking good man. I havent opened mine up here in Georgia yet but this thread helps plenty. I was going to get the shock for the first attempt to attack but do you guys think its better to do liquid chlorine? I would always use liquid chlorine throughout the year (or until the end when stores stop stocking and have to use the granule version) but thought the heavy duty granule version was needed for the initial intro and liquid from there.

heavy duty granule version
Chlorine is chlorine. Liquid adds water with it, the solid forms add CYA or Calcium with it. We believe you are better off using liquid chlorine. If you need CYA, add it separately, sames goes with calcium.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.