Opened Pool to high pH and low TA

Moved from here.

I'm having the exact same problem! Just opened pool and I have pH off the charts and very low TA. I ended up with an algae problem after I took the cover off because I had trouble getting the pump and hoses put back on and it took me time to get help. Got that going then Shocked the pool so I've gotten control over the algae, just cloudy water now. I've added pH down, waiting to retest. Im using Taylor k-1004 from last year. Maybe I need fresh reagents?

Last edited by a moderator:
My opening test results looked just like the last picture.... zero chlorine and high pH. Added chlorine and now it's balanced but still high pH
If the pH is at the top, you don;t know if it's right at 8.2, or at 8.5, or 9 or what. If you have the acid demand test you can fix it in one go. Otherwise you have to plug numbers into pool math and dose, then wait, then retest, plug numbers into pool math and dose, then wait, then retest, plug numbers into pool math and dose, then wait, then retest, as many times as necessary to get pH onto the scale. Then the last adjustment should fix it, unless you're happy with where it landed.

Something not really addressed is the original question is the low TA, but the specific TA number was never really addressed. Can you post your TA so we know where it is in comparison to this elevated pH? As for the reagents, if they are older than one year, it would be adviseable to get new ones. It would be s shame to go through a bunch of chemical adjustments only to find out it was the old reagents that were throwing you off. :hammer:

If the pH is at the top, you don;t know if it's right at 8.2, or at 8.5, or 9 or what. If you have the acid demand test you can fix it in one go. Otherwise you have to plug numbers into pool math and dose, then wait, then retest, plug numbers into pool math and dose, then wait, then retest, plug numbers into pool math and dose, then wait, then retest, as many times as necessary to get pH onto the scale. Then the last adjustment should fix it, unless you're happy with where it landed.
I used the acid demand test as well as pool math to adjusted everything. Added dry acid and pH is now at 7.2 and TA is 50. Pool store says TA is fine but other sources say 80-100. Taylor K-2006 will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I have cleared the green water and used a flocculant to vac most of the debris to waste. I still have cloudy water but it is much much better.

Something not really addressed is the original question is the low TA, but the specific TA number was never really addressed. Can you post your TA so we know where it is in comparison to this elevated pH? As for the reagents, if they are older than one year, it would be adviseable to get new ones. It would be s shame to go through a bunch of chemical adjustments only to find out it was the old reagents that were throwing you off. :hammer:
I believe the TA was 40 at that time and pH was darker than 8.2. The reagents were still within the expiration date and right under a year old. I believe my first acid demand test took 5 drops!
The water heated up rapidly as we had several very hot days in my area. I read somewhere that can cause a rise in pH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.