one small urgent problem - many long term problems... how do I plug this?

MasterTinkerer

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2016
Helena, AL
immediate issue... my pool deck had a return line coming up out... I assume it was for a slide. The prior owner had put a piece of iron pipe with a cap down into the hole... it rusted away and now is leaking. I thought I would find a PVC line down in the concrete once I got the old piece out, but it's more metal pipe. How can I plug this?

I have some EpoxyBond Pool Putty... could I mix it up and cram it down in there? The metal shavings are from me running an 11/16 drill bit down in the hole to try to find the PVC that I was expecting.

I'm looking for something to last through the summer. Ultimately, my pool deck needs a lot of attention... part of the long term problems.

Unfortunately, this slide return is tied into my two main returns - so I can't just shut it off at the pump with a valve.

pool is vinyl liner (that needs to be replaced) - 20x40 ~30k gallons

1654563088813.png

Put a rubber expansion plug in it. They are used to winterize pools.

Then put something over that spot so people don't kick it out or trip over it.

You may need to reseat the plug every once in a while if it loosens up.

Rubber_Expansion_plug.jpg

Tapered rubber winter expansion plugs with a wingnut to tighten come in various sizes:

• 0 - 1/2" pipe tapered
  • 1 - 1/2" pipe
  • 2 - 3/4" tube tapered
  • 3 - 3/4" pipe
  • 4 - 3/4" and 1" pipe
  • 5 - 1" pipe
  • 6 - 1" fitting
  • 7 - 1 1/4" pipe tapered
  • 8 - 1 1/2" pipe tapered
  • 9 - 1 1/2" pipe and 1 1/4" fitting tapered
  • 10 - 1 1/2" fitting tapered
  • 11 - 2" pipe
  • 15 - 4" pipe
  • 16 - 4" pipe
There are also extra long tapered plugs that can cover #7 to #10 sizes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.