On today’s edition of why I don’t let my husband touch the pool…

l1ltaral1l

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I will preface this thread…I handle 95% of the pool things. Chemistry, adding stuff, etc. I’m slightly obsessive over it, and don't really want him to learn :D

Yesterday, my husband took some water out of the pool (we had very heavy rain here) when I wasn’t home. I got home after dark, and left pretty early this morning again. Got home today, took the dogs out and had a heart attack. The water was LOW. LOW LOW. I immediately thought we had a leak in the liner. Went to go out to the pump, and he never turned the valve off of waste. So as soon as the timed clicked on this morning, the pool was draining the whole time :oops:

Please say a prayer for our well pump as I try to at least get it to the skimmer line! At least I’ll have a good jab to use on him for a whilllllleeeeee. Ha!

IMG_2809.jpeg71129950233__2179DDE3-B567-4885-A340-C575D855945B.jpeg71129953622__327BE28D-CC73-4C61-9450-C4CDE63EFC49.jpeg71129950842__6A89B18D-44B3-4A47-8D75-90AEF2480481.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Season 1 Omg GIF by Friends

• Haha
Reactions: l1ltaral1l
To be fair, I have to use my cell phone or Alexa to remind me with a timer. I can't tell you how many times I left the hose running to top it off. I'd say to myself, "I'll remember that in 30 minutes". Then 4 hours later I'm running frantically to the pool kicking myself in the rear. :hammer:

🙋‍♂️ I didn't even need the pump on. My waste pipe exited the yard a foot or two below the water level. I was sending to waste one time and shut the pump off with the intentions of cleaning the filters when something distracted me. Lalalalalalala. Meh. I'll clean them tomorrow. Meanwhile the pool kept draining because gravity. I looked out the window some time later and saw a sight similar to yours. 🤦‍♂️

#neverleaveitonwaste.

Trust me, not the first person to do that. Did that a few years ago, I remember my daughter asking me why there is no water in the pool. It happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds so familiar. Don’t ask me why.:rolleyes: I am also on a well and limit my fill times to 90 minutes max per day using my phone timer. You definitely don’t want to run your well dry.

If you have a deep drain, shut off your skimmers, and run your pump as usual until the water is up to your preferred level.

Beautiful pool btw.

Last edited:
Put a label on the mpv waste & backwash settings that says “SET A TIMER!!”
Sounds silly but Mom isn’t always home.
I have labels on lots of things for this reason. Or nix using the pool pump & go for a submersible pump on the top step as it’s self limiting incase it’s forgotten.
Btw don’t forget the timer for the refill- you’ll end up with the opposite problem lol. Been there done that too 🤣

I hear you!! My husbands only job is to brush the pool. I was in the pool and noticed there was a bit of algae on the wall (before TFP care). I asked him if he had brushed the pool that week.................no as it looks good..................I then ran my hand over the wall causing a "dust cloud" to come off the wall :roll: He could not jump in the pool fast enough to brush it down good. I then ran it hot for FC (before TFP care) until it was clear again.

Of course things were much easier on him once he found TFP for me to use to keep the water clean and care! LOL

If you're worried about leaving the hose on when topping up, get one of these!

I suppose it may negate some of the fast-flow benefit I had from running 3/4 water line to the hose bib in the pool area, but I have also figured out that setting the timer for about 1:15 will get the water level pretty close to where I want when I notice it has gotten a little low.

Now, the only over-filling that happens is when I top off the pool, and a large storm comes through and rain 2.5 inches later that night! Like the last time I topped it off. It's towards the top of the skimmer but I don't care, hasn't seemed to bother anything. It'll eventually evaporate in this 100+ heat we're currently having.

I think topping off the pool may act like washing the car in that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.