OMG did our new salt cause THIS???

Yikes for your dog!!! I will try the hydrogen peroxide first and if that doesn’t work then I’ll try the soft scrub!!! Thank you!
Maybe wait for someone here to weigh in before using the bleach on your coping? While it worked on the quartz (mfr recommended for most stains on our type of counter), I don't know how it works on stone/cement or if there might be a reason not to use it with silver nitrate. It never occurred to me to ask anyone here when I did it. I just freaked out and threw the one thing I had at it in hopes that it would work. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I'm far more careful with that test now.

I guess HP is a common (good?) way to induce vomiting. He ate SO MANY things he shouldn't. While most passed through, this was one the vet didn't want to try that with, but she didn't think putting him under and retrieving it herself was needed. The bleached spot was far more welcome than the bill for a trip to the vet - he was a very spendy pup over the 13 years we had him! 🐶

Interesting to say the least I have a stone deck out the back door and yesterday I discovered a decent sized area that has a brownish almost rusty like from metal runoff color. Was thinking what it was and then I passed on it. Now this morning looking out again it poised me, never had that what, where, why. After this threads conversation I just got it. Yes yes, I have many oaks and that area is close to one with even some high over reach. Mystery solved, thank you. Learn something new every day.

Are you sure they are oak trees and not black walnut? That kind of stain we see with black walnuts around here. In the fall we have to be careful as the squires carry them around and crack them open all if the place leaving the pieces of the shell. When it rains it can look like a crime scene.

Just asking as I have not see that level of staining from Oaks around here.

Are you sure they are oak trees and not black walnut? That kind of stain we see with black walnuts around here. In the fall we have to be careful as the squires carry them around and crack them open all if the place leaving the pieces of the shell. When it rains it can look like a crime scene.

Just asking as I have not see that level of staining from Oaks around here.
Yep. Definitely oaks!

Reactions: Ahultin
C221682F-0C17-42F0-BF16-716FA52B8E2A.jpeg
Looks like my husband and I will be having a large bleach party soon...at least it works on this crazy staining! The mystery is how the oak tree rain runoff also stained the mortar on the UNDERSIDE of the coping. Crazy.

Reactions: Orion7319

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I concur with the comments on the oak trees. That large stained area was consistent with either irrigation water from a well or an oak tree. Since irrigation was mentioned to be city water that is ruled out leaving the Oak Tree to be the culprit. We have an Oak over our driveway and it does this every year. Specifically, those little seed pods you see in the picture cause it when they get wet or when it rains. We have the exact same tree. In fact, if they fall when wet they leave little brown marks where ever they hit, in our case a white garage door....

Bleach or pressure washing gets it out.

Reactions: Jellwood
if it was the trees how come it isn't spotty under them. this is like literally sprayed covered. plus look around the table that was moved. looks like over spray when it hit the table. i think it's the landscape sprayers. those guys just willy nilly spray away. they don't even look when they spray.

if you had cameras you would know exactly what happened. if it was spray you would see the overspray in the air. if it was the trees you could literally see it change color over a few days of watching.

cameras are you friend. they solve allot of problems around the property.

The stain pattern below the table is due to the rain/tannin mix collecting on the top then directed down the sides and legs.
I suspect the uniform staining may be related to the recent pollen release just prior to the rain event.

If the larger stained area is a low spot for water to collect, that would explain how it got under the coping as the puddle grew bigger, it may have dripped into the pool. It may just not drain very well there and so it could be dirt, mulch dye, oak tree debris, soaked puddle that stained before eventually draining.

Glad you got the situation settled!

I was thinking of odd scenarios . . .
Under that moved chair - Mold came to mind.
But ages ago we knew a boy that got into the neighbors back yard and dumped their metal chair into the deep end.
And when my uncle had his bathroom redone, the grout came up with a wet towel. Old expired grout will do that.

But those weren't any of your problems, thank goodness. Still, got me thinking about them!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.