Olympic Pool

I read that article and they're talking about swapping part of the water. If if if, they also add stabilizer and increase the FC, I think the best they'll get is cloudy blue.

I hope they drain the diving pool entirely and also re-purpose the filters solely to the water polo pool which is seriously cloudy at the moment. But at least it's easy to count heads in that sport!

Of course, they also mentioned that two divers had itchy eyes from the chlorine. Arghh. In one of the pictures, there's a lifeguard brushing the diving pool. My arms got sore looking at him, but at least they're trying. I suppose there's a few bleeding heart earth muffins around the table blabbing on with "Chlorine is bad. We need to make this multi-million dollar high tech system work! Let's go down to the pool with our 6in1 test kit and make sure the poolies aren't exceeding the FC level those brilliant consultants promised us."

- - - Updated - - -

I hope the media is wrong as usual, and they drain it completely
Rio Olympic chiefs will drain diving pool as it continues to turn green | Daily Mail Online

One of the other threads linked to an article that stated they were going to drain the pool used for synchronized swimming and water polo and refill it with water from the practice pool. They were going to just change the filters on the diving pool because, "Divers don't need to be able to see underwater". Wow!

HP is what they use to oxidize baquacil pools. Wondering exactly how the subcontractor got mixed up on that one...but imagine if it had been reverse...if it had ACTUALLY been baquacil and they dumped a tanker of chlorine in...baquagoo city!

I used HP once as an ion removal experiment. I managed not to go green coming back from it. I should get an honorary CPO license from Brazil ;)

Little did I know earlier this year when I studied up on TFPC then began practicing it, that the new knowledge would help make the summer Olympics so tragically entertaining :(

Maintaining a clear pool with TFPC is so easy . . . although I must admit, our pool is smaller ;)

Thanks for that link, skydude. It finally explains a lot about why the green happened, (but nothing about why the response was so slow).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been screaming at my TV for 4 days now!!!!!! I knew EXACTLY what this "mystery" was caused by....in fact, my pool looked just like this last summer, when in desperation I stumbled across TFP!

Someone asked if the algae itself would be a health hazard to the Olympians. Algae is a living plant. I would imagine you wouldn't necessarily want to ingest algae-infested water. I would also think it could take up residence in your ear canals and give you a nice ear infection.

Even if the algae itself is not in itself dangerous to the swimmers, if the water in those pool is this green and gross, imagine what other bacteria and viruses are thriving in there...Ick!

Someone asked if the algae itself would be a health hazard to the Olympians. Algae is a living plant. I would imagine you wouldn't necessarily want to ingest algae-infested water. I would also think it could take up residence in your ear canals and give you a nice ear infection.

Even if the algae itself is not in itself dangerous to the swimmers, if the water in those pool is this green and gross, imagine what other bacteria and viruses are thriving in there...Ick!

Lois,

Algae itself is not considered a pathogen; it's a nuisance. There are some specialized pathogens that can infect algae and use it a vector for disease transmission but those are very rare. But you are correct, algae is a really good indicator of water quality and you can bet if algae is growing, other forms of life are probably not finding it too inhospitable either....ick indeed!

I read that article and they're talking about swapping part of the water. If if if, they also add stabilizer and increase the FC, I think the best they'll get is cloudy blue.

I hope they drain the diving pool entirely and also re-purpose the filters solely to the water polo pool which is seriously cloudy at the moment. But at least it's easy to count heads in that sport!

Of course, they also mentioned that two divers had itchy eyes from the chlorine. Arghh. In one of the pictures, there's a lifeguard brushing the diving pool. My arms got sore looking at him, but at least they're trying. I suppose there's a few bleeding heart earth muffins around the table blabbing on with "Chlorine is bad. We need to make this multi-million dollar high tech system work! Let's go down to the pool with our 6in1 test kit and make sure the poolies aren't exceeding the FC level those brilliant consultants promised us."

- - - Updated - - -

I hope the media is wrong as usual, and they drain it completely
Rio Olympic chiefs will drain diving pool as it continues to turn green | Daily Mail Online
there were several meme's going around lately:
"If you ever feel useless just remember that someone is a lifeguard at the olympics swimming event."

(In reading an article, the lifeguard is not an IOC requirement, but a Brazilian regulation for all pools greater than 6m X 6m)

Hydrogen peroxide is not bleach. In fact, hp neutralizes bleach/chlorine...which actually explains how this happened. Put HP in Friday Aug 5 by mistake. Nuked FC. Three days later, cloudy. Four days later, green ;) FC could not nuke the hp.

HP is used as oxidizer in non-chlorine pools like baquacil.

Does the H2O2 somehow make tests or monitoring equipment think that there is still FC in the pool? I saw reference to this in one article.

Excess oxidizer would show up on ORP probes and cause some interference with dye testing. But in the case of hydrogen peroxide it is unlikely. Hydrogen peroxide does not last long in water and will breakdown too quickly. So I doubt the presence of the H2O2 had any effect on measurements.

They (the Olympic Official) are simply grasping at straws to save face and blame shift. They screwed up royally because I doubt anyone there knew what they were doing. Why else would they make idiotic statements about dry weather, lack of wind, unknown numbers of swimmers, pH, gnome farts, etc, etc. They simply don't want to say the sanitizer levels dropped because then they would be culpable if athletes get sick.

I'm sure UFOs and a "vast capitalist conspiracy to embarrass Brazil..." will eventually make some press releases as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.