Old Pool Owner...Never Gotten It Right...

GregoryT10

Mar 16, 2019
Little Rock, Arkansas
Hey gang. I am new to the forum but have casually browsed for years. This year I am determined to do things the right way to stop throwing hundred dollar bills at my pool to get it clear.

I say that...I ran my pool uncovered all through winter and scooped most of the leaves out throughout the winter. It was clear and beautiful until 3 weeks ago when the warm rain came and it rained...and rained...and rained. Now I have green everywhere and a few leaves I cant see.

Yesterday I started trying to clear it up and would love some expert guidance. I started with PH at 8.5. I lowered it using muriatic acid ( I heard that makes chlorine more effective). Then I have added 5 gallons of 6% bleach 3 times (as of 10:30pm tonight). It has gone from swampy to greenish. I cant wait to see it in the morning. Any advice would be super helpful!!

Stats:
18x36 oval inground (22000 gal, I think) vinyl liner
FC 16ppm currently after shocking
pH 8.2 lowering to 7.2 with muriatic acid 30 min before adding bleach
TA 80
CH 150
CYA 10

Greg

Welcome to the forum!

What test kit are using for your pool water chemistry results? There is no test to detect CYA at 10. Be very careful having elevated FC at near zero CYA with a vinyl liner. Damage can occur. Did you test your pH after adding the MA to be sure it was at 7.2? Adding in one dose to go from 8.2 to 7.2 is quite a leap. If your FC tests at below 10 ppm, check your pH.

You should have a minimum of 30 ppm CYA in your water to SLAM Process. You should also plan to test and dose back to SLAM level (see FC/CYA chart) every couple hours at start.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

You may also want to get the Poolmath app.

i think you are on the right track
you dont mention what test kit you are using but fc 16 suggests one of the recommended kits
you will need to add some cya targeting 30 so your fc doesnt get burnt off by the sun
take a photo same time each day looking at the stairs or something for depth comparison
good luck

Heading in the right direction! Go through Marty's post as he linked to everything you need. Pay close attention to the SLAM link.

One thing you can do it take pics each day so you can see the progress.

Make sure you are brushing the pool at least one a day. Twice is even better.

Once you get it cleared up we can/will help you have the best looking pool on the block!!

Kim:kim:

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement, especially the comment on CYA/FC level for vinyl liners. No one wants to replace those, right?! The CYA was tested at the pool store last week. I was hoping to wait for the CYA until after the frequent backwashing stops. I'll reconsider that move.

I tested the pH using the Leslie's branded Taylor "Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit" I bought from the pool store. I believe it is K-2005. I have to trick it to get it to read high enough FC levels by tripling the water dose as it doesn't read up that far. There is a kit that you all use. Should I get that one?

I will read the suggested material and then be off to the pool store for stabilizer. Thanks Marty, Aussie, and Kim!

One final thought. My salt level is low. I have bought the salt already but was waiting to put it in until the water clears due to having to backwash etc. The kids love for me to pour it on their heads in the water hahaha. Should I go ahead and put it in the swamp and start/dial up the SWG to help with this chlorine level?

Last edited:
First - order a proper test kit. It will save you far more money in wasted chemicals than it costs. Order a TF-100. I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

No reason to add the salt until you pass the SLAM. Leave the SWCG off during the SLAM. Use liquid chlorine for the SLAM.

Reactions: GregoryT10
LOL on the salt on their heads! Some people call it "Diamond Day" as it looks like diamonds in the water. The kids are great for helping mix it into the water! FUN TIMES!

Kim:kim: (hehe I get the fun stuff as Marty got the hard stuff!)

Hey its Greg from Central Arkansas! Looks like you're already set with guidance, so I won't butt in too much. Definitely get the Pool Math App and the recommended test kit. It comes with the FAS-DPD test that is required to properly monitor a SLAM.

Here is my update. I added the stabilizer, as suggested. I read that I could squeeze and massage the sock in the skimmer to help it along. CYA now reads between 60-70, say 65, with most of the 8 pound bucket dissolved. The pH would fall with muriatic acid but would come back up to 8.5 in a few hours. As the chlorine lingered longer, the muriatic doses seemed to hold longer and longer. Now, though, pH is 6.5 and holding! Alkalinity is 60. Chlorine level is 3 right now with no added bleach since yesterday afternoon (I worked hard today and neglected it this morning). I have been running the sand filter (without the SWG) pretty much 24/7 and backwashing a little if it seems slow. I amazoned a new pressure gauge but I have yet to install it.

Still extremely cloudy but its blue!! It is also very "sudsy".

First 2 pics are from 2 days ago, before and after brushing.
3rd pic is sudsy from this morning.
4th and 5th pic is before and after brushing the pool this evening.

Questions:20190317_112446.jpg20190317_145216.jpg20190319_082545.jpg20190319_193340.jpg20190319_193405.jpg

Should I raise the pH back up some now or wait?
What should I do to clear the cloudiness now?
What don't I know yet?

Reactions: Awp14
hi greg a little late now but the higher your cya level the higher you need your chlorine during the slam process
the more frequently you adjust fc up to slam level the quicker it goes
each time you let fc drop below minimum the algae regrows
use fc/cya chart Trouble Free Pool
i have a feeling your pool may be smaller than you are calculating as you overshot on ph and cya

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do adjust the pH buy turning your returns up so they roll the water good (cheap and easy to do). Try for 7.2 for now. Get and keep that FC up as much as possible.

Keep the pump/filter running 24/7! With the color you are seeing now most of the work in on the filter to get the dead algae up and out of the pool.

You can put a t-shirt in the skimmer basket to help your filter BUT you have to be around to baby sit it just in case. This not some thing to do when you leave for a while.

Keep the pics coming. I have another trick for clearing the water but you have to get the a little further along in the SLAM.

No need to use real math skills. Use the Pool Math to do the work......................use 20000 gals for the next time you work on the pH. See how close you get to the expected results. Keep tweaking 2000 gals at a time. This will allow you to tighten up the size.

My recomdation is stop adding anything else into the mix because without the tf-100 kit your not real sure what you have. Keep the FC chlorine level at 10 for the next few days till the new kit arrives and get some new reliable numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.