Old Pool, New Water - What to do?

It is. I've been looking at a green pool for over a year and now it's clear blue. Definitely worth the time and I gotta say I learned a lot and now helping friends at work with their pool. One last week came to me because his pool wasn't registering any chlorine. He had over 100 CYA!

It is. I've been looking at a green pool for over a year and now it's clear blue. Definitely worth the time and I gotta say I learned a lot and now helping friends at work with their pool. One last week came to me because his pool wasn't registering any chlorine. He had over 100 CYA!

Watch out everyone! We have another one! He is helping others and they are listening! What is going on in this world??? LOL People helping people have a clear, clean pool!

Kim

Thank you everyone! I have one more question which isn't equaling up... According to the calculator, I should aim at 4 FC with 40 CYA. From my personal tests, at 40 CYA the sun consumes 7 FC daily.

So theoretically, at sometime during the afternoon, the pool will run out of FC. I will replenish daily of course, but I'm not too comfortable with 0 FC in the pool.

What is the effect in FC loss with increasing the CYA to 50? And, would maintaining 7 FC be safe for swimming?

Okay so just an update to share what I see.

Previous Test at 8:30am
FC - 12
CC - 0
PH 7.2
CYA - 40

Current Test Time 6:30pm
FC - 4.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 80
CYA - 40

The Slam is now complete. But I do notice the FC loss today was 7.5. I will add bleach to increase to FC of 7, per suggested values. The other noticeable item is the PH is somewhat low still while TA is at recommended levels. Should I add washing soda? If I bring PH up to 7.5, it will increase TA to around 91. It should still be within acceptable values though.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Above is the CYA/chlorine chart. I would shoot for the top number and see if your FC will hold. It is very safe to swim at 7fc. In fact you can swim when your fc is just under the SLAM/shock level.

Your tests-------were they when you were doing the SLAM? If so you would have used your FC faster than if you were just maintaining your clear pool. You are so right that having 0 FC at any time is NOT good and you do not want to go BELOW the min. listed on the above chart for FC/CYA.

I am sorry I confused you above. I was being silly. There are times people are resistant to buying the test kit and doing the SLAM like they should. THEN you were also able to lead others to the TFP way. GOOD JOB!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

You can raise just your PH with aration such as turning your returns up so they roll the water. You can also use a waterfall or fountain to push the PH up without messing with the TA.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The PH should rise over time. As for FC just add to target 7 and you should see a drop but still keep you with in FC range. If you notice it drops lower then target 8.

Did you pass all the criteria for the SLAM?
OLCT to be specific
I see you passed CC
Water crystal clear?

Edited to add Kim types faster....lol

Aerating is underway. It's been about 24 hours and pH hasn't changed yet though. Any ideas on how long it typically takes?

6bca4563118d6561f691f96f3425c177.jpg

If I recall correctly, the water really does well if it makes a bit of a splash. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it works better for that gas exchange to happen (almost like respirations, lol)

Yippee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.