Okay, so how do you use this thing? Rainbow Chlorinator.

dfwnoob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2022
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
It truly feels just wrong posting this.

So, I have never used an inline chlorinator as I have never used tabs. I was TFP from the start, but we're going to be going on vacation here soon and I need some way to dose chlorine, so I figured I'd pick up a very small pack of pucks. I've been letting the CYA drop off in preparation so I don't think I'll be overshooting it. My question is, how is this thing supposed to be adjusted? There's a dial on top, but no real explanation as to what it does. Does it matter how many pucks I stuff inside of it? I truly have no idea how anything works outside of SWCGs and liquid chlorine. We'll be gone for ~10 days and while we the neighbors coming over to check on things, they're older and not really capable of dealing with anything in the pool, so pucks it is.

junk junky junk junk don't use these
what does this do? nobody knows.

DFW,

The dial you’ve pictured adjusts how much water will enter the erosion feeder to breakdown tablets and provide chlorine for the pool. The more open it is, the more chlorine you can erode faster from pucks. Before adding pucks verify the feeder is clean and free from sludge. The buildup can slow or stop the venturi effect needed to pull chlorinated water from the feeder. It will hold somewhere between 4-6 pucks (Can’t remember off the top of my head). Once they‘re in its a mess to remove them (large metal tongs work well to pull them out.) as noted above a floater may be less of a pain during vacation.

If you decide to use that (I wouldn't), it would be best to replace that old feed tube and get a new lid O ring (lube with silicone grease only). Having either of those fail while you are gone can leave you with a partially empty pool and damaged equipment.

A full (about 5 or 6 3" tabs) floating feeder is best. Don't get anything that looks "cute" (duck, swan, flamingo, fire-engine). They're more expensive and don't last. The best are "Blue White." If you're gone more than 2 weeks, it will probably all be dissolved before you return.

Thanks all, I'd rather not mess with this one if there's a risk it's going to start leaking then. I'll pick up a non-cute floating one. Thank you!

Quick question as the trip is imminent now. I could not find 3" tabs ANYWHERE that didn't include copper or clarifier or some other nonsense. I found 3 lbs worth of pure trichlor tabs, but they are 1" instead of 3", 17g a piece.

If I do Effects of Adding in Pool Math, adding 1lb comes out 7.6 FC, and 7 is about where I target my FC level. But my question is this - over what period of time will the FC be 7.6? Does that happen quickly? or over time? or what? I realize I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but can someone help me out here? Do I just do what @1poolman1 said and fill a whole floater up and stop worrying about it? Should I bring the pool to SLAM level before leaving? I just really, really do not want to come back to a green mess.

The 1” tabs dissolve more quickly but it will still take a while.
Raise to slam level for your cya & load the floater(s) up with the 1” - it’s possible they will still not be fully dissolved when u return. They are insurance for the long run- slam level is main fc source for the next few days.
3 - 3” pucks were only 70% dissolved the last time I left for 6 days.

Perfect! Thank you so much!

I was already done with jug lugging, but this is an even bigger annoyance of using liquid chlorine. I was already sold on installing a SWCG next year, but now even more so.

Perfect! Thank you so much!

I was already done with jug lugging, but this is an even bigger annoyance of using liquid chlorine. I was already sold on installing a SWCG next year, but now even more so.
Fwiw I do all 3 when going on vacation- slam level, floater, & swg running. I like to have insurance incase of power or equipment failure.

Reactions: dfwnoob
So we've returned from our 8 day trip, and I am happy to report all is good thanks to the fine advice here! I brought the pool up to SLAM level the night before and stuffed as many of the 1" tabs as I could into the floater. It was probably a little over 2 lbs. Came back today and found the FC is still sitting at 10! Excellent!

Unfortunately when I tested the CYA right before I left, I must have left the view tube on the bench outside and it is now MIA. Oh well, the fact I came back home to a perfectly blue pool makes me not even care.

Even the pH was spot on at 7.5. I think I'll keep using these tabs! Who needs a SWCG?! The guys at Leslies were right!!!!!!!!

;)

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I'll keep using these tabs! Who needs a SWCG?! The guys at Leslies were right!!!!!!!!
Cut It Out Stop GIF by Tkay Maidza

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and dfwnoob
So we've returned from our 8 day trip, and I am happy to report all is good thanks to the fine advice here! I brought the pool up to SLAM level the night before and stuffed as many of the 1" tabs as I could into the floater. It was probably a little over 2 lbs. Came back today and found the FC is still sitting at 10! Excellent!

Unfortunately when I tested the CYA right before I left, I must have left the view tube on the bench outside and it is now MIA. Oh well, the fact I came back home to a perfectly blue pool makes me not even care.

Even the pH was spot on at 7.5. I think I'll keep using these tabs! Who needs a SWCG?! The guys at Leslies were right!!!!!!!!

;)
Using all tablets for regular chlorination can be done, but you really need to watch your CYA, pH, and total alkalinity if you do so.

I was joking lol. But I am relieved to know that if I go on vacation, all h-e-double hockey sticks won't break loose if I use tabs for a week.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I used a chlorinator on my last pool when we went on vacation as I was always worried the floater would get stuck on the steps and bleach out the liner. It was fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. I tended to use the 1" tabs for more surface area and a lower flow through the chlorinator. I drained water to winterize so I knew it would knock down the CYA.

It was a tool of convenience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.