ok starting on rebuilding the pool

The pool has been setting for years at this point the last owner attempted to fix it it lasted one season, due to a liner issue. Since its been raining here in Iowa since winter I went ahead and moved the pump filter and installed new 2 inch piping to the pool, new strainer,working on dual drains now. I have emailed SPP about the pool corners and they contacted the liner manufacture and will make sure the liner is made correctly, was debating changing the corners they are rectangles that are smaller on the bottom then the top the liner was opisit, I will try to post some pics. the pool has a Vermiculite bottom and walls at least it did, it is all broke and falling and the repairs from before are horrid to say the least. I might just use a sand-grout mix since I am unable to find bulk Vermiculite and to have that much shipped here would be pricey. Here a some pics before I started.

Attachments

• pool2.jpeg
    pool2.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 215
  • backview.jpeg
    backview.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 211
:shock: You are a BEAST!!!! WOW! Lots of work done already!! Your poor body!

So you took down the chain link fence. What kind of fence are you doing instead? I see the wood posts but think I see something like black iron on the long side of the pool.

LOVE those stairs leading up to the top deck! We have those in our pool house. So pretty and such a space saver!

Keep working and taking pics. We love a good "story" like this!

Kim:kim:

The fence wood post with black chain link between, The stairs are black iron spiral the same as inside, I dont like were they put them so I might move them to the side, I dont think we have used that deck since we moved in.. All the vemiculite was falling apart in the pool so I guess I am redoing all of it, There was roots growing threw it, the clay shifted a little on the one side I shaved it back to shape guess it moved from the old retaining wall. The plumbing is all 2 inch now and no leakes so I filled most of the trench in. The city is now replacing the street so I cant get supplies. There is the fence just black vinyl covered. The 2nd picture is the retaining wall and steps I put in last year funny I dont have any pictures of it done.

Attachments

• 20190603_094739.jpg
    20190603_094739.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20180708_073850.jpg
    20180708_073850.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 132
Man the things keep getting worse with the news about vemiculite. That is backbone of your pool as I am sure you know. I am sure you can do it though since you have been able to do everything else so far and with great skills!!

I really like that black coated fence. That really sets a apart and nice looking!!

Thank you. replumbed and redid the bottom and fixed one wall that was leaning a brace was bent, looked like it was bent on install and they just left it, still have the decking to pour. going to just match up what was there, then in a few years go back and replace the entire decking. It leans horrid I guess for water drainage. Now to measure and get a liner ordered and ladders

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hot, sweaty, nasty work! WELL DONE!!! That looks awesome!!!

Gurrrrr on them leaving the bent piece! REALLY??? unreal :(

You will have water soon!!! Do you have a good test kit yet? If not look in my siggy below for where to get the best one for the buck.

I see a good test kit as the hardest working tool you can have for your pool. It is the main way to help keep your pool from going to a pond. The small up front $ will save you large amounts of $ in the end. Just saying!

There's something to be said about knowing what your fill water is (test results) before you get to the point of any water in the pool. Testing your fill water will tell you a lot. Plus it'll be fun for your down times. Do take them!

That being said, there may be some different results depending on the time of year or what your water supplier is doing. Around here, sometimes all our water comes from the reservoir, and sometimes they mix it with the nasty stuff in the wells. There's a great deal of difference, which we can often smell. You know it's being heavily mixed with the wells if you can smell chloramines when you shower.

I also want to commend you for a great job based on your photos. You've done what takes many dudes many days all on your own, and I assume you maybe also have a job. :whoot: I can't wait to see how this comes together!

Just over 9 foot deep. This is my job fixing the house, taking care of the kids. So far have replaced most plumbing in the house including running new sewer and proper venting, fixed all wiring, fixed basement wall, all rotten trim and roof, moved the insulation, Have walkout basement to finish its stripped and ready for drywall (winter). We are trying to pick a liner now... been 2 weeks lol the new corners should be done for the pool tomorrow then I can finish the mortar/sand, I also have a few spots that I need to fix, but overall the floor and the walls were not that bad to do, the digging of the trench and digging out the one wall was the worst, but its straight and all the pool plumbing past pressure test, I added a vacuum port and dual bottom drains and 2 inch all the way. bonded as well.
We have had the house for 2 years, I gave myself 4 to get it all done :/
Here is the vermiculite it was rotten,

Attachments

• 20190708_151926.jpg
    20190708_151926.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Reactions: frogabog
There's something to be said about knowing what your fill water is (test results) before you get to the point of any water in the pool. Testing your fill water will tell you a lot. Plus it'll be fun for your down times. Do take them!

That being said, there may be some different results depending on the time of year or what your water supplier is doing. Around here, sometimes all our water comes from the reservoir, and sometimes they mix it with the nasty stuff in the wells. There's a great deal of difference, which we can often smell. You know it's being heavily mixed with the wells if you can smell chloramines when you shower.

I also want to commend you for a great job based on your photos. You've done what takes many dudes many days all on your own, and I assume you maybe also have a job. :whoot: I can't wait to see how this comes together!

There is a old test kit I could play with.... taylor k-1004 prolly from when the pool was redone... 1997 lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.