Ok, please help with cloudiness

It's not the same. It is NEW dead algae that you have killed (but more live algae remains) with chlorine.

Each day, you kill SOME of the algae but not all of it. You vacuum up the dead stuff (I would stop vacuuming to waste....go to filter) The next day, you repeat the never-ending cycle of dead algae back on your pool floor so you kill some BUT NOT ALL of it.

Go back to basics and SLAM your pool. The SLAM article must be followed to the letter or you will never get out of the circle you are in.

Well, as annoying as that is, it's comforting as well to believe I'm at least on the right track! It has been 7 days starting today that I've been meticulously following this process. My cya tube I have felt confident has been at 60 or just under, but I think I'm going to adjust up to 70 and keep it at 28. If this truly is new algae then I should probably be vacuuming 3-4 times a day as I see it coming back that often through the day. Thank you all.

You should check out the SLAM process in the pool school if you have algae. It also sounds like you have a filtration problem if stuff is coming out of your returns. Start your own thread, ideally with pics of what is coming out of your returns and the latest test results from your tf-100. SLAM Process

Last edited by a moderator:
You should check out the SLAM process in the pool school if you have algae. It also sounds like you have a filtration problem if stuff is coming out of your returns. Start your own thread, ideally with pics of what is coming out of your returns and the latest test results from your tf-100. SLAM Process
I'm on day 7 of the slam process. Been doing it meticulously, testing every few hours and overfilling past on my chlorine requirement, vacuuming/brushing/backwashing/rinsing/vacuuming to waste for 7 days.

Well, as annoying as that is, it's comforting as well to believe I'm at least on the right track! It has been 7 days starting today that I've been meticulously following this process. My cya tube I have felt confident has been at 60 or just under, but I think I'm going to adjust up to 70 and keep it at 28. If this truly is new algae then I should probably be vacuuming 3-4 times a day as I see it coming back that often through the day. Thank you all.
Please don’t add any more stabilizer- just assume 70 cya & slam @ that level
Also definitely deep clean the sand or just replace it- I assume you have a little intex sand filter as it’s not in your signature.
it looks as if you didn’t passOvernight Chlorine Loss Test
Although its hard to read your log. So something is still growing. You just have to keep slammin! Until you pass all 3 end of slam criteria.
the more frequently u hit it the faster it will go. For your non oclt testing u can do a 5ml sample W/ 1 scoop of powder & every drop counts for 1 ppm to save reagents.

Oh wow I didn't realize you all could see my log! Lol. I've kept the important additions as accurate as I can, but there are other additions I've added that weren't reported. When I said I'll adjust to 70 I meant I'll adjust my assumed cya level to 70 and up my chlorine, not add cya, lol. Hope that makes sense.

There’s a switch for sharing in the PoolMathsettings- u can turn it off if u like but it is helpful for us to see your logs to help steer u in the right direction- if you click my avatar you can see mine too 😉

After 8 days of being meticulous with this, I tested last night at 47 drops, 23.5ppm. woke up this morning to test, held my breath anndd....47 drops again!! Happy Father's day to me I guess!! 😁

1) crystal clear water Check
2.) 0.5 cc Check
3.) 23.5 / 23.5 ppm OCLT Check

Any more things to do before I drop this FC level back down?

Thank you all so much for telling me to not quit.

Yay!
I would keep it up for 1 more day to be certain the dead algae doesn’t show up on the floor (cuz if u stirred that up you would no longer have clear water) & do the deep clean of the filter- you want eradication! I’m sure now you see why our original suggestion was to drain h20 to get cya down as slamming @ high levels can be hard to maintain & uses a Crud load of reagents & bleach. Also for maintenance your fc target is 10 so it never gets to minimum.(that can be problematic also as ph testing is not accurate @ fc levels above 10) If you wish to maintain a lower fc you will need to drain to lower cya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It only holds about 20 lbs of sand - it would be cheap to just dump it & replace it if the deep clean doesn’t do it. Do you remember what kind u used ? Some brands like quickcrete & hth are supposed to be #20 Grade silica but they’re not. A pool store would likely have the proper Type. I assume the filter is overwhelmed by the amount of dead algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.