Ok, please help with cloudiness

Update, water is absolutely crystal clear, couldn't ask for it to be clearer! Cc is also 0. Only problem I have left is I'm playing a tail chasing game with dead algae. I'll vacuum it all, backwash, rinse, and about 6 hours later will see it all back again on the pool floor. I've repeated this process about 5-6 times already and the same amount keeps getting shot back out into the pool after the vacuum backwash and rinse. I'm getting tired of wasting water over what feels like a futile exercise. Any thoughts?

Keep @ slam level until its gone- also only backwash when u r @ 25% above clean pressure- I assume u have a sand filter? It may be undersized & unable to handle all the dead algae. Try vacuuming to waste instead or you can create a siphon with your vac hose - maybe you wont lose as much water that way . ( fill hose w/water just like when connecting it to the skimmer only throw it over the side of the pool ) also be sure to scrub all ladders, skimmer throats, algae hiding spots etc. You’re almost there just keep going! Have you done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

I actually have vacuumed to waste, twice. Both times next morning the dirt looking algae is still there. I know it's the same amount too because they find their way to the wrinkles of the pool floor and almost latch on either side of them. Yesterday I vacuumed all of it up, you couldn't see any on the floor, then I back washed, rinsed, backwashed, rinsed, backwashed, then rinsed one last time before putting back to filter. This morning, it's back again.

As for oclt, I've been doing it every morning for last days and am beyond confused by my results. So far the ppm lost has been...

Day 1- 3 ppm lost
Day 2- 2 ppm lost
Day 3- 3ppm lost
Day 4- 2 ppm lost
Day 5- 3-4 ppm lost

What's up with the yoyo'ing effect? Literally everything is out of this pool except for what keeps getting shot back in. Does dead algae still eat up chlorine? If so I'm sure that's the culprit, if not I have no idea.

Ok a little embarrassed to admit this but I took the brush around the walls and inside those "flaps" on the bottom of the above ground pool and there was definitely "dust" looking stuff that blew off, and I also saw little round bubbles that I can't really describe the color, maybe a mix between orange and yellow. I'm almost willing to guess that could have been live algae. I also redid the dpd test and was shocked that 5 drops brought it back to red/pink again and took 3 drops to get clear again (1.5 cc). Clearly we aren't done!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Keep going! & scrubbing, & brushing, & bringing to slam level ! You’re getting there- my last pool had flaps for seams 😩- had to scrub it with a broom 🧹

Vacuumed to waste every area I saw stuff settled on the floor, let it run to ensure the junk got all the way out of the hose, filled water back up, tested. CC was 0.5 with fc at 27 (cya 60). Crossing my fingers the oclt results tomorrow show good change. If I see that stuff settled at the bottom I again I might just lose my mind.

Does dead algae eat up chlorine? Or is it just an eye sore?

I'm hesitant to add DE because I've read it increases maintenance work. I'm hoping to get this issue resolved with what I have, and seeing as how I actually understand how the tfp method works now and have a ton of fas-dpd testing liquid, I'm capable of upkeeping it from here on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought from your last picture, when you said water was clear, that you still had something in there. It def looked cloudy to me. You need to have a look at the" how clear is tfp clear" thread. Great examples of how clear your pool can be!

Guys I'm just at a loss for what to do with this algae or whatever it is. I've vacuumed to waste til it's all gone probably 3 times now, I've vacuumed to filter then backwashed and rinsed on repeat probably 3-4x, and here it is exactly the same amount coming back out of the return jet. I just don't get it. How is the same algae stuff coming back in the return jet after I remove it with the setting on waste...THREE+ TIMES???

Merged threads - TFP Mod
Guys I'm just at a loss for what to do with this algae or whatever it is. I've vacuumed to waste til it's all gone probably 3 times now, I've vacuumed to filter then backwashed and rinsed on repeat probably 3-4x, and here it is exactly the same amount coming back out of the return jet. I just don't get it. How is the same algae stuff coming back in the return jet after I remove it with the setting on waste...THREE+ TIMES???

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_191155.jpg
    IMG_20200619_191155.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
You need to deep clean your sand filter
Here’s a great write up w/videos

Also are you absolutely sure of your cya? If its over 60 at all you round up to 70 - no in betweens. That would put your slam fc target @28 which might help explain the reappearing algae some.
Underestimating slam target can lead to a prolonged process.

How is the same algae stuff coming back in the return jet after I remove it with the setting on waste...THREE+ TIMES??
It's not the same. It is NEW dead algae that you have killed (but more live algae remains) with chlorine.

Each day, you kill SOME of the algae but not all of it. You vacuum up the dead stuff (I would stop vacuuming to waste....go to filter) The next day, you repeat the never-ending cycle of dead algae back on your pool floor so you kill some BUT NOT ALL of it.

Go back to basics and SLAM your pool. The SLAM article must be followed to the letter or you will never get out of the circle you are in.

Reactions: jcrew6311
What duraleigh said. That is new dead algae showing up. Keep scrubbing and finding the live algae hiding - check ladder, steps, hidden places, folds in the liner, etc. You have to kill it all. It’s just reproducing and making that dead algae you see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.